filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Currently, neither.

Until you see PCR testing in cases decrease, pretty much as dramatically as they have increased, nothing will change quickly.

As for the cycle thresholds of PCR, it would be interesting to find out what the labs are setting this to when analysing samples.  I suspect this information is hard to come by.  According to released govt information I could find, a Ct>36 has indicated infectious virus but then alternative information I found quite easily states a Ct>35 leads to 70-90% false positives in PCR testing.

Wherever you look, there's always an alternative point of view.  Who is more believable?  It's irrelevant though because govt clearly will not listen,

Guarantee we're not using a test that gives those sort of figures. Not even our Gov't is that incompetent. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Often what people do when they can't put up a counter argument :thumbup:

Look you seem like a decent guy, don't get sucked into the "Poor Boris" way of thinking. He'll have enough diehards backing him. He said he'd take full responsibility for what happened, we have over 75k dead, and everything from education, to the NHS to the economy is ****ed. 

I stopped discussing because your mind is clearly set, I was trying to suggest that there could be variations in the way the (any) Government would need to make policy, a given decision. Poor Boris? Not sure where that came from!  lol

Anyway, I did brush my teeth, so there is that....

Edited by Dahnsouff
10 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Currently, neither.

Until you see PCR testing in cases decrease, pretty much as dramatically as they have increased, nothing will change quickly.

As for the cycle thresholds of PCR, it would be interesting to find out what the labs are setting this to when analysing samples.  I suspect this information is hard to come by.  According to released govt information I could find, a Ct>36 has indicated infectious virus but then alternative information I found quite easily states a Ct>35 leads to 70-90% false positives in PCR testing.

Wherever you look, there's always an alternative point of view.  Who is more believable?  It's irrelevant though because govt clearly will not listen,

Are you suggesting that they have increased the cycle threshold recently? If not it is irrelevant as the recent increase in positive PCR tests represents a proportionate relative increase in infectious people. It’s not the absolute number of positive results that is driving policy towards lockdown, it is the trend and the degree to which the health service is becoming overwhelmed.

The irishman really needs to post an apology to all the people he has duped and close his blog account.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

Seriously wonder how many people who watched us beat Villa at home last March would have believed that would be the last time they’d get to go to the ground until probably August of 2021 !

I’ll be surprised if we don’t have the ground open for the last home game of the season ...... 

38 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

Seriously wonder how many people who watched us beat Villa at home last March would have believed that would be the last time they’d get to go to the ground until probably August of 2021 !

I was at that match but it seems so long ago, I can hardly remember what I expected then. 

I do know that I only attended because an old mate (a Villa fan) had come up from Devon and I'd got him a ticket in our end - he joined in the "Going down" chants to Villa (inaccurately, as it happens).

If I'd been due to go on my own, I probably wouldn't have attended as the Covid risk was already becoming apparent.

As far as I recall, I expected it to be my last match for a while - but was probably hoping that we might be back by the end of the season......last season! :cry:

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Pleased to see news of the return to the 8PM clap met with derision on social media.

Such 'look at me' nonsense and does fvck all to help. They need a pay rise not a round of applause.

They do, but seeing as you're not going to give them one, how about giving them a little clap instead.

15 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I don't see how anyone can claim he's doing even a half decent job tbh. I'm all for opinions, but in this case, there's facts and just plain wrong. Sorry, no disrespect meant.

Boris isn't doing his best. He wants everyone to like him, he doesn't want to declare bad news, so he tries to keep it jolly and tell everyone it'll be OK. That might be OK for a leader in some scenarios, but in a pandemic you need forward thinking, tough decision making leaders, not someone trying to be everyone's mate. Hopefully there will be an end to this rubbish, but its much further off than it could have been had he not been in charge.

Boris might well be doing his best, but his best clearly isn't good enough.  We elected him to deliver Brexit, which he has done, but unfortunately he is not the man to manage this crises.  As you say he is essentially delaying every decision until he only has one reasonable option available, at which point he can point at circumstances and say it forced his hand and it's the last thing he wanted.  Zero responsibility.  A leader for the good times, not a global pandemic.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Pleased to see news of the return to the 8PM clap met with derision on social media.

Such 'look at me' nonsense and does fvck all to help.

They need a pay rise not a round of applause.

Can't we do both?

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Can't we do both?

44% of this country voted Tory! If they clap, they are hypocrites. I reserve my right to judge anybody voting for a party that has been underfunding the NHS for years, before then putting their clapping video on Facebook. Are these people really interested in the NHS, or do they just want to put themselves at the centre of attention? 'Has anybody thought about how thankful I am for the NHS' No, go away.

That leaves 56% of people, some of which genuinely will have been rallying for pay increases, voting accordingly etc. In which case fine. I'll still find it cringey, but fine.

Let's be honest though, those people represent a minority. Even within that 56% you've got a big chunk that didn't vote at all.

And no I am not in that minority, either, but at least I don't pretend I am.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

44% of this country voted Tory! If they clap, they are hypocrites. I reserve my right to judge anybody voting for a party that has been underfunding the NHS for years, before then putting their clapping video on Facebook. Are these people really interested in the NHS, or do they just want to put themselves at the centre of attention? 'Has anybody thought about how thankful I am for the NHS' No, go away.

That leaves 56% of people, some of which genuinely will have been rallying for pay increases, voting accordingly etc. In which case fine. I'll still find it cringey, but fine.

Let's be honest though, those people represent a minority. Even within that 56% you've got a big chunk that didn't vote at all.

And no I am not in that minority, either, but at least I don't pretend I am.

So 100% of those who voted were only voting on that one issue? (Public sector funding, specifically the NHS) Jesus, I really was not paying attention.

• Like 2
Just now, Dahnsouff said:

So 100% of those who voted were only voting on that one issue? (Public sector funding, specifically the NHS) Jesus, I really was not paying attention.

Well no but if 'taking back control' was more important than our NHS then, why is there a sudden outpouring of emotion now? It doesn't add up. NHS has been struggling for years and nobody cared. Yes it's obviously struggling more now but the difference in struggle doesn't equate to the difference in public recognition. Bit late to the party, basically.

Imagine if you were sliding from a position of strength to life of the streets. Struggling to afford bills. Partner breaks up with you. Eventually you resort to a sleepingbag next to Sainsbury's Local. Now imagine if your calls for help were completely ignored by all family members. Nothing. Not even recognition that it was happening. Then one year you trip and break your ankle and the whole family turns up to see you. "Great" you think, "they've finally come to help me."

Then they give you round of applause, take a couple of pictures for their Instagram and you never hear from them again.

This is a bit like that.

• Like 1

The main thing I thought about the clapping in the first lockdown was that people were going out there and risking their lives against a disease that was still largely unknown at that point while the rest of us stayed away. I thought that deserved something to mark it on a human level.

I wasn’t applauding politics. I was applauding people.

5 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Such 'look at me' nonsense and does fvck all to help. They need a pay rise not a round of applause.

Agreed. It's a great gesture but it is only that. NHS workers and any other key workers now know the appreciation is out there but in reality it really does mean fvck all these days.