filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

37 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

But just be sure to remember it was you hugging your gran that caused this, not the criminal underfunding of the health service for the last decade, or quashing the nurses bursary. It was you, you monster who had the audacity to hug your gran on Christmas day. 

Both are at fault no?  

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The police will be getting short shrift from me if they want to fine me for going for a walk.  Ridiculous behaviour.  I can guarantee not one copper will want to take the point to court.

Exactly. 

The 'great' British public seem unable to work out that being issued a fine by a beat Bobby  does not equate to guilt. 

If you've  got a case, simply appeal it. I wouldn't  waste my breath with a jobsworth copper. Just give me your little ticket, be on your way and I'll see you in court 😂

• Like 1

It’s all well and good taking the piss out of the police for handing notices out, but you’ve got to bare in mind they have probably seen more legislation changes to one thing in a few months than most have seen in a career.

If anyone has seen how the legislation is worded a lot of the time it can be left open to interpretation... 

The gov website states that if you are to leave home it is to be for work or essential shopping, and that you must remain within your area, town, village or part of the city you live in..... this on the face value of it may seem pretty straight forward but if you live on a border things could potentially get awkward, because you have left your area.... but it could be only a few miles.

Point is, I think the powers that be were not satisfied with the amount of tickets being handed out initially, and it is likely the directive from the government will be for cops to have a zero tolerance approach to people who can’t justify why they are out, and out of their areas... it’s shit but it’s shit for everyone, having the bounties changed from month to month is a bit of a piss take to all concerned, so I can understand why some cops may be less lenient than others. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It’s all well and good taking the piss out of the police for handing notices out, but you’ve got to bare in mind they have probably seen more legislation changes to one thing in a few months than most have seen in a career.

If anyone has seen how the legislation is worded a lot of the time it can be left open to interpretation... 

The gov website states that if you are to leave home it is to be for work or essential shopping, and that you must remain within your area, town, village or part of the city you live in..... this on the face value of it may seem pretty straight forward but if you live on a border things could potentially get awkward, because you have left your area.... but it could be only a few miles.

Point is, I think the powers that be were not satisfied with the amount of tickets being handed out initially, and it is likely the directive from the government will be for cops to have a zero tolerance approach to people who can’t justify why they are out, and out of their areas... it’s shit but it’s shit for everyone, having the bounties changed from month to month is a bit of a piss take to all concerned, so I can understand why some cops may be less lenient than others. 

Forget the police, think of the lawyers!

Leicester city has a population density of 12,000 people per square mile (per Wikipedia).  Is it the official view that it is safer for all those 12,000 to remain within their square mile to take exercise walking round and round the same pavements?  Or is there a case for saying that going to a place where there are a dozen people per square mile and exercising there, might be less likely to spread the disease?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Who’d be a copper these days?

Gross underfunding on one hand, people who don’t give a shite and bleat on about their ‘human rights’ on the other.

It’s no surprise the country is in the fookin mess it’s in is it...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Forget the police, think of the lawyers!

True, essentially everything in the public sector has current gone to rat shit, and a fair few areas of the private have too. May as well all stay at home and get pissed! 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, moore_94 said:
Both record figures for the UK since the start of the pandemic

Silver lining on cases is that we'll probably be closer to herd immunity than we ever were in March 2020 when considering the vaccine uptake too.

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

But just be sure to remember it was you hugging your gran that caused this, not the criminal underfunding of the health service for the last decade, or quashing the nurses bursary. It was you, you monster who had the audacity to hug your gran on Christmas day. 

56 minutes ago, Phube said:

To be fair both are valid!

37 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

With all the funding in the world many people would still not survive this unfortunately. 

It's happened because UK and the rest of Western Europe thought it was like the flu and that it could pass through their populations without massive numbers of deaths. Once that decision had been made the rest has been inevitable, no matter how much we lock down. 

16 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

As far as I know, people with Covid are not dying in the UK due to any lack of funding yet are they? 

No one dies of a lack of funding.

It won't be written on anybodys death certificate. 

But surely you can see the connection between the most excess deaths in Europe and a lack of hospital beds, intensive care beds, ppe, nurses, ventilators, etc etc. 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

No one dies of a lack of funding.

It won't be written on anybodys death certificate. 

But surely you can see the connection between the most excess deaths in Europe and a lack of hospital beds, intensive care beds, ppe, nurses, ventilators, etc etc. 

Well not really, no. I see a correlation with people not following the advice, continuing to think they know better, and continuing to disbelieve what we are told. 

I also see what happened in Italy, where their health service was completely overwhelmed, and I don't think our Government were to blame for that? 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Well not really, no. I see a correlation with people not following the advice, continuing to think they know better, and continuing to disbelieve what we are told. 

I also see what happened in Italy, where their health service was completely overwhelmed, and I don't think our Government were to blame for that? 

So just so I can understand your veiw point.

you think the government has handled the pandemic well and the health service has been funded adequately over the last 10 years and in a good place to deal with a major global pandemic? 

Just now, foxile5 said:

North West Leicestershire police are refusing to clarify what constitutes local for me. 

Screenshot_20210108-165836.thumb.png.875e45600e97b44d40b73233a4bff386.png

This might seem spurious but I have to drive a bit if I want to run anywhere that isn't a busy bypass - which stinks and is patently unhealthy to breath in - I need to drive, really. 

This is a good one- Town Councillor who tested positive broke isolation and wandered the streets without a mask

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/lindasy-beech-swaffham-town-council-coronavirus-isolation-6891118

Even better, a brilliant excuse- "I thought I was allowed to exercise once a day when self-isolating"- which has never been the case. How can you misinterpret every message to stay at home WHEN YOU HAVE THE VIRUS.

At least she didn't go for a "picnic" with two cups of tea, though, in a quiet area. No, just around town with symptoms and no shield.

• Sad 2

I guess I am in the minority re those two women - serves them bloody well right and will, hopefully, act as a deterrent to others.

I also hope the police start randomly going into shops and boarding buses and issuing fines to adults not wearing masks/shields too

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

I swear some people think that if the tories weren't in power, we would all be dancing around together holding hands living with the virus in perfect harmony.

IMO non-compliance is the major cause of the deterioation, and most people don't watch the news briefings so they are pointless. In modern day popular culture it just isn't cool to listen to the droning on of some posh white bloke with power. A nationwide campaign should have been introduced early on every social media platform. A clear message reaching out to young people of all sections of society. Perhaps Ser Marcus of Rashford as the face would have been a good start and more people would have obeyed the restrictions. Just a thought.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

I think you fail to see the bigger picture whether it’s in nativity or ignorance I don’t know, but our health service has been suffering for years, they’ve been overwhelmed for years because of the relentless cost cutting exercises carried out by the tories. The NHS are frankly pissing into the wind trying to tackle this virus, they’re having to suspend daily care for other sick patience to focus on this. 

The government did not take into account a potential for a national crises, they happen, they always happen and at the very least you want to ensure that your emergency services are able to cope if such an event happens, well it has and we can’t cope. One of the most important responsibilities of a government is to ensure its health services and national security are not compromised by their own doing, and no matter how hard someone tries to defend the tories they have been compromising the NHS for years, and now WE'RE paying the price for it.