Jump to content
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Info quoted on BBC tonight, comparing this lockdown so far with 1st lockdown last spring:

- Stats show numbers of kids still attending school on "key worker/vulnerable" basis are much higher than 1st lockdown (as recounted by teachers in this thread)

- Stats show numbers using London Underground are much higher than 1st lockdown (also suggesting fewer people are working from home)

- Anecdotal reports that road traffic levels are much higher than 1st lockdown

 

That all suggests there's a lot more mixing than last spring - at a time when infections are at record levels, infections & hospitalisations are still rising, hospitals are struggling and the mutated virus is more infectious.

 

In addition, this lockdown isn't as strict as the 1st lockdown in various ways: e.g. communal religious services continuing this time (local mixing).

 

Then there's all the non-Covid health problems being sidelined - especially if infection rates remain high and hospitals are swamped.

 

Hopefully the vaccination programme will start to strongly push infection rates down by February, even if the target of 15m vaccinations by mid-Feb isn't quite met......but things look pretty worrying for the next 6 weeks or so.

Hope everyone's keeping as safe as they can - and that we might be over the worst (bad as it looks) by mid-Feb.....

 

 


Theirs way more workplaces open and things to do open than in March/April time

 

Loads of places shut last spring that didn’t have to eg McDonald’s, B&Q , loads of construction sites etc

 

The government can’t keep all these places open then moan when people go too them/ have to go to for work t

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MattFox said:


Theirs way more workplaces open and things to do open than in March/April time

 

Loads of places shut last spring that didn’t have to eg McDonald’s, B&Q , loads of construction sites etc

 

The government can’t keep all these places open then moan when people go too them/ have to go to for work t

Lots of retail are offering click and collect services, like Next so still have staff in providing that service

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Super_horns said:
More lockdown restrictions coming?
 
But tbh will anything make a difference..
 
People who aren't following guidelines will never do.
 

Reads more like tougher punishments and more police presence than more lockdown restrictions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The first lockdown was keyworkers only. 
 

Now it’s if you can’t work from home you can go into work. 
 

Loads more workplaces are open compared to previously and also trades are now allowed to work unlike before. 
 

My old dear was moaning about it last night and saying they shouldn’t be allowed to work, then I pointed out we’re having a carpet fitted todaylol

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Re comparing this to the first lockdown, more people are out and about because more business sectors have been allowed to stay open.

 

I find it bizarre that you can have a painter and decorator in your house for example. This wasn’t allowed in the first one.

Even more bizarre you can go and view houses etc with the intention of buying one. Why would anyone want to allow people into their house right now unless for emergency repairs?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Facecloth said:

The shouldn't have to be, but at times like this tough measures are called for.

I totally agree, but I do feel you under estimate people’s belief in their right to personal liberty above all else a bit

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I totally agree, but I do feel you under estimate people’s belief in their right to personal liberty above all else a bit

These are weird times though. Its not a normal situation. Its short term measures, and people are acting like they are forever going to be stopped from doing things. The irony being the more they break the rules and do these things, the longer these rules stay, and the tougher they'll get. I think we've proven when push comes to shove we can't be trusted to do the right thing for the greater good, so its quite right the government step in and stop us.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Staff said:

So I went into work Tuesday, and my colleague who sits opposite me says he is feeling unwell. I said you need to go home if you feel unwell, to which his response was nah I will be OK. On the Wednesday, he calls in sick saying he's had a Covid test. Everyone in the office is blasé about it, not looking too much into it as he has a history of being a hypochondriac. Thursday, I roll in work at 11 with a banging headache, and get told he has covid. I immediately go to my manager and say surely we must all self isolate? His says no only if you display symptoms. They haven't quarantined his desk, haven't got anyone in to deep clean the place so I told I would be going straight to get a test due to my parents health issues who I need to help me to look after my son whilst I'm at work. And guess what? I have the fecker, and I'm sure as others have said who have had it and are displaying symptoms, I feel horrendous. At first I thought it was my mind telling me I'm ill as I have provided a positive test. But my head is pounding non stop, I'm light headed, I feel like I've been ran over and the diarrhoea has got me in all sorts of bother. But the worst thing is isolating from my parents and son, it's difficult mentally even after 2 days. I guess what I'm trying to say please take the necessary precautions and stay safe. And if your unsure, just go take a test 

This is the perfect example of why truly non essential workplaces should close. By the time you know about a case, it's too late and there's ultimately no such thing as 'covid safe', if you're in close proximity to others indoors with no ppe, you're at risk. 

 

Get well soon! Stay hydrated and if you're struggling to breathe at any stage seek help before it gets too bad. I'm certain you'll be fine albeit for a rough few days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I think it's about time they started jizzing on non-mask wearers in supermarkets - I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, I'm thinking really about the entertainment value of the resulting YouTube videos

That's harsh

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Staff said:

So I went into work Tuesday, and my colleague who sits opposite me says he is feeling unwell. I said you need to go home if you feel unwell, to which his response was nah I will be OK. On the Wednesday, he calls in sick saying he's had a Covid test. Everyone in the office is blasé about it, not looking too much into it as he has a history of being a hypochondriac. Thursday, I roll in work at 11 with a banging headache, and get told he has covid. I immediately go to my manager and say surely we must all self isolate? His says no only if you display symptoms. They haven't quarantined his desk, haven't got anyone in to deep clean the place so I told I would be going straight to get a test due to my parents health issues who I need to help me to look after my son whilst I'm at work. And guess what? I have the fecker, and I'm sure as others have said who have had it and are displaying symptoms, I feel horrendous. At first I thought it was my mind telling me I'm ill as I have provided a positive test. But my head is pounding non stop, I'm light headed, I feel like I've been ran over and the diarrhoea has got me in all sorts of bother. But the worst thing is isolating from my parents and son, it's difficult mentally even after 2 days. I guess what I'm trying to say please take the necessary precautions and stay safe. And if your unsure, just go take a test 

Was he directly opposite you? Because that's not covid safe, people shouldn't be sat facing each other.

 

Really feel for you though, because this was completely out of your control, and highlights how careless people can be. I've heard countless stories of people going to work whilst waiting for a test or the results of the test. The managers really should be sending people like that home, and it should never have got to stage he was sat in the office with symptoms.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I think it's about time they started pepper spraying non-mask wearers in supermarkets - I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, I'm thinking really about the entertainment value of the resulting YouTube videos

You haven't started yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The school situation is ridiculous, liberties been taken, I read on another site a lady sent her child in with a note saying she is a keyworker, she works at mcdonalds.

 

50% attendance is way too high, I know people who work in offices working on site instead of home, also many business that were closed in spring are open now.  In effect this is a bait and switch, government pretending they doing a proper lockdown but under the hood it isnt.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lionator said:

This is the perfect example of why truly non essential workplaces should close. By the time you know about a case, it's too late and there's ultimately no such thing as 'covid safe', if you're in close proximity to others indoors with no ppe, you're at risk. 

 

Get well soon! Stay hydrated and if you're struggling to breathe at any stage seek help before it gets too bad. I'm certain you'll be fine albeit for a rough few days.

Just to clarify, my work place is deemed essential. The stuff about PPE is so true, we have a perspex screen between us and masks sanitisers etc but we all use the kitchen area, bathroom etc and practices could certainly be better. 

 

Thank you, think I'm feeling the worst of it today but hopefully will start feeling better 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Was he directly opposite you? Because that's not covid safe, people shouldn't be sat facing each other.

 

Really feel for you though, because this was completely out of your control, and highlights how careless people can be. I've heard countless stories of people going to work whilst waiting for a test or the results of the test. The managers really should be sending people like that home, and it should never have got to stage he was sat in the office with symptoms.

Yes, but with a perspex screen between us. That's the thing, as soon as I was made aware I went to my GM and explained the situation and he was so dismissive of my suggestions to quarantine his desk and get the office deep cleaned. 2 of my colleagues went for tests last night, and I wouldn't be surprised if they come back positive 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Phube said:


Can’t answer for anyone else but from my NHS frontline worker perspective; yes the NHS is criminally underfunded and the lack of beds, staff and ICU equipment is contributing to the excessive death toll...

 

But... the current infection rate has nothing to do with NHS underfunding but selfish/ignorant public wantonly ignoring advice either by not wearing mask due to some really good reason or thinking their bubble can include four grandparents, the next door neighbour and Trisha who has to pop in for a cuppa but only once a week. 
 

It’s amazing that I have worked every day  (less normal holidays) at a large NHS Trust with patients and had members of my team have COVID, go shopping every week, my wife works at a uni and have a daughter at high school - all three COVID hotspots. Not one of us has had it (to our knowledge and I get tested bi-weekly and had the anti-body test in the summer). I’m not saying everyone who has caught COVID is to blame but if EVERYONE actually obeyed the rules this pandemic would die out pretty fast! And we could all get back to normal!!

Bear in mind the rules have allowed people to go to restaurants pubs, schools, unis.  So I dont quite agree, but I will say there is people out there who are taking the micky with parties and such.

 

As soon as the police try to clamp down we start seeing news reports and people call them draconian.  So they cant win, clearly just having a "quick word" with people breaking the rules doesnt do the job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Staff said:

Yes, but with a perspex screen between us. That's the thing, as soon as I was made aware I went to my GM and explained the situation and he was so dismissive of my suggestions to quarantine his desk and get the office deep cleaned. 2 of my colleagues went for tests last night, and I wouldn't be surprised if they come back positive 

Just seen your other post about the perspex.

 

I think the managers think they are keeping the business going by refusing to let people off for isolating or test, but all they are doing is making it more likely you lose a huge chunk of staff after one of the employees they let work with symptoms or whilst waiting a test passes on the half of them.

 

My office has made things pretty safe, hand sanitizers every where, things on handles so you don’t have to touch door handles with your hands, removed all non peelable fruit from kitchens (we get free fruit). But there's still plenty of "touch points" as they call it that's its very difficult to avoid touching.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

My office has made things pretty safe, hand sanitizers every where, things on handles so you don’t have to touch door handles with your hands, removed all non peelable fruit from kitchens (we get free fruit). But there's still plenty of "touch points" as they call it that's its very difficult to avoid touching.

What are these? I'm trying to imagine such a device and I can't think of anything haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else saw the incident recorded in Aberdeen where two officers force their way into a house (which is now legal due to legislation) on suspicion of Covid breaches, forcing what I first thought was a minor (turns out she was 18) to the floor, and getting physical and aggressive with the two residents causing one of the woman (I'm not sure if it's the 18 year old or the mother) to have an epileptic seizure whilst young kids look on? 

 

It's quiet distressing to be honest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...