filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Going to a super market is much more likely to infect people than driving to a wide open space.

If you're going to small shops like a Tesco mini youre putting more people at risk than if you drive a few miles to a massive open space 

Love the hypocrisy 

I know.  This seemed to bypass them.

32 minutes ago, Izzy said:

We were supposed to go for a family walk around the gardens of a 'local' National Trust place today. You have to book in advance and it's about 7 miles away so we'd have to drive there, park up etc.

It didn't feel right to go somehow so we just walked around the village again for the umpteenth time. I'm sure we'd have been fine visiting the NT place but the advice is to stay at home I guess.

I dunno. There's so many cars on the road I think loads of people are still driving to places for exercise. 

I couldn't believe how many people I had deliveries for were out today. Over half. I'm guessing most people aren't working Saturday, especially whole families and it's not walking weather, could barely see 20m at times. I can only assume the supermarkets were swamped today :dunno:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Going to a super market is much more likely to infect people than driving to a wide open space.

If you're going to small shops like a Tesco mini youre putting more people at risk than if you drive a few miles to a massive open space 

Love the hypocrisy 

What hypocrisy? I’d ran out of milk! 
Are you suggesting people don’t shop for food now?

😳

One last time, if you want to go for a walk, don’t drive five miles down the road. You don’t need to. Leave your front door and stay local

Am I missing something here or what?

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

You can walk your dog LOCALLY.

Just don’t get in your car and go five miles up the road

Is there any hard evidence that it is safer for all the dog walkers in Leicester to meet in the same few parks than it is to scatter them round the county?

This is what I can't get.  If there are 12,000 people per square mile in Leicester itself, is it safer for those 12,000 to stay close to gether and exercise in the same square mile, or would they be better off spreading out a bit and exercising in the wider open spaces around?  

• Like 2
Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

I couldn't believe how many people I had deliveries for were out today. Over half. I'm guessing most people aren't working Saturday, especially whole families and it's not walking weather, could barely see 20m at times. I can only assume the supermarkets were swamped today :dunno:

After our walk around the village this morning I spent the afternoon washing my car (again). I noticed both sets of my neighbors go out for a drive, along with numerous other households on our street. None of them came back with any shopping so I can only assume they all went for a drive to do some exercise :dunno:

Just now, dsr-burnley said:

Is there any hard evidence that it is safer for all the dog walkers in Leicester to meet in the same few parks than it is to scatter them round the county?

This is what I can't get.  If there are 12,000 people per square mile in Leicester itself, is it safer for those 12,000 to stay close to gether and exercise in the same square mile, or would they be better off spreading out a bit and exercising in the wider open spaces around?  

See Cardiff Fox’s post above

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

What hypocrisy? I’d ran out of milk! 
Are you suggesting people don’t shop for food now?

😳

One last time, if you want to go for a walk, don’t drive five miles down the road. You don’t need to. Leave your front door and stay local

Am I missing something here or what?

Yes you are.

You are missing the point that there is no danger involved. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

After our walk around the village this morning I spent the afternoon washing my car (again). I noticed both sets of my neighbors go out for a drive, along with numerous other households on our street. None of them came back with any shopping so I can only assume they all went for a drive to do some exercise :dunno:

And people bleat on about coppers getting heavy handed...

😩

Ive said right from the outset of this pandemic that we will have one of the biggest infection rate and the biggest number of deaths in Europe for two main reasons:

1. We are geographically small

2. Many ‘Brits’ are either fookin stupid, selfish or both 

And it’s happened and here we are. STILL having daft debates when people are losing their lives due to Covid all over the country

Over and out..

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I’d rather they clamped down on both and actually implemented the rules 

Except they haven't gone against the rules as there is no limit written down as to how far you can travel. It doesn't take much- "no further than 10 miles, stay within 5 miles, go to your nearest park or open space"- to inform people but they've left local open to interpretation.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My neighbours all went out today Muzzett ...   there are six of them in their cottage ...  and one has tested positive.   We get on so well but this is just so so so fvckin wrong.

I read somewhere, and I cannot find it again, on a govt poster of some sort that you must stay local - either in your village, town or city "where possible".  Guidance uses those words.  Where possible.  There's your get out clause right there.

Also a city is far bigger than a village and if you're cut off in a village, staying local probably means something a lot different than staying local in an urban area.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
15 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Exactly the same on my Amazon round. I'd honestly say 80% weren't in.

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Exactly the same on my Amazon round. I'd honestly say 80% weren't in.

Not sure what the instruction is for delivery drivers (not you personally, just in general) - but recently, every single delivery driver has just left the item next to the door and legged it off in their van. They've not waited for an answer or to see if the recipient has picked it up. Happened this morning at 8.30am (!!!). Lucky I was awake but I was in bed still. Knock on the door. By the time I got downstairs, I couldn't even see the vehicle the driver had been!

Just now, StanSP said:

Not sure what the instruction is for delivery drivers (not you personally, just in general) - but recently, every single delivery driver has just left the item next to the door and legged it off in their van. They've not waited for an answer or to see if the recipient has picked it up. Happened this morning at 8.30am (!!!). Lucky I was awake but I was in bed still. Knock on the door. By the time I got downstairs, I couldn't even see the vehicle the driver had been!

Amazon drivers are supposed to wait for a response, but they're a rare breed. I'll wait until someone is at the door or at least movement in the house.

If not, I leave it in a place the customer has asked us to. Failing instructions, I'll return it to the station for redelivery. 

Dropping at a neighbour's is no longer an option. We've been specifically instructed to stop this until further notice, due to covid. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Amazon drivers are supposed to wait for a response, but they're a rare breed. I'll wait until someone is at the door or at least movement in the house.

If not, I leave it in a place the customer has asked us to. Failing instructions, I'll return it to the station for redelivery. 

Dropping at a neighbour's is no longer an option. We've been specifically instructed to stop this until further notice, due to covid. 

Interesting, I didn't know that but makes sense I guess.

Like Stan, my Amazon deliveries are usually a bang on the front door and the parcel left on the step then the driver zooms off. 

9 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Interesting, I didn't know that but makes sense I guess.

Like Stan, my Amazon deliveries are usually a bang on the front door and the parcel left on the step then the driver zooms off. 

Yeah same, understandable but didn't know it was a thing. Other delivery companies might want to take note.

Other day I was expecting a delivery from Hermes. 

- Got a notification in morning saying it'll be delivered between 3-5pm. 

- 3.35pm, I get a notification saying it's been delivered. Not a van in sight, not a knock on the door, nothing at front or side of the house...

- App/tracking info just says delivered; no signature or photo of delivery.

- Few hours later, app says they've had issues and delivery will be on the next working day.

- Couple hours after that, neighbour knocks on the door and says we have your package and it was just left at their front door without a knock either lol 

- Hermes app still says it's not been delivered!

• Haha 3
53 minutes ago, Izzy said:

When your neighbours go out dogging and don't have the manners to invite you

• Haha 3

Seems to me that the rules in Wales are a lot clearer than England. Level 4 restrictions mean travelling for exercise is not allowed. 

People are still allowed out of their homes to exercise, for unlimited times and periods each day Wales remains in level four, but must maintain social distancing, and not exercise with anyone outside their household, so either alone, with those they live with or with their bubble.

Exercise should start and finish from your home

59 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Public outdoor places include:

• parks, beaches, countryside accessible to the public, forests
  • public gardens (whether or not you pay to enter them)
  • the grounds of a heritage site
  • playgrounds

There we have it. 

How many live within walking distance of a heritage site, virtually no one. So for the government to actually include this in the guidance they are saying it's ok to drive somewhere. 

But for those that don't want to then don't and keep your nose out of other people's business. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Otis said:

There we have it. 

How many live within walking distance of a heritage site, virtually no one. So for the government to actually include this in the guidance they are saying it's ok to drive somewhere. 

But for those that don't want to then don't and keep your nose out of other people's business. 

The recovery from this virus is everyone’s business and thereby anything that impedes it is by extension. I’m not saying we should all start hunting rule breakers but we should definitely make our disapproval known to them. 

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Seems to me that the rules in Wales are a lot clearer than England. Level 4 restrictions mean travelling for exercise is not allowed. 

People are still allowed out of their homes to exercise, for unlimited times and periods each day Wales remains in level four, but must maintain social distancing, and not exercise with anyone outside their household, so either alone, with those they live with or with their bubble.

Exercise should start and finish from your home

Everything starts and ends at home. The day, work, exercise.... It’s not much clearer to a thicko like me.

1 minute ago, Benguin said:

The recovery from this virus is everyone’s business and thereby anything that impedes it is by extension. I’m not saying we should all start hunting rule breakers but we should definitely make our disapproval known to them. 

Totally agree. If they are breaking the rules.