Jump to content
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Some people have become really strange over the last year. There’s questioning about absolutely everything, I think, borne out of boredom and frustration.

Common sense seems to have gone out the window in favour of ‘what if I did this, what would happen if I do that’ etc rather than ‘let me think this through and be sensible and safe’

There’s a real blame game going on too. ‘The government should have done this, they’ve got this wrong, it’s someone else’s fault etc’

Self responsibility seems to have vanished in favour of critiquing everyone else’s view

Weird times...

A rational post in here for once.

This nails it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Md9 said:

Mrs has her first first jab today,got offered it as she is a cleaner in the hospital. next one not until March I think she said. Also said they told her there isn’t much protection at all until the Second jab. Said would prob feel a bit rubbish like a cold for a few weeks as well. 

Or put it another way, there is a lot of protection after the 1st jab and before the second, hence the reason why the government has delayed the second

 

Covid-19: Pfizer vaccine efficacy was 52% after first dose and 95% after second dose, paper shows

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826#:~:text=The study%2C published in the,cases in the placebo group.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Trumpet said:

I don’t like it when they say “vaccinated”, I think as of Wednesday there were a total of 30k* people that had received the second jab. That to me is vaccinated.

 

*not 100% numbers, I’m sure I heard them on the news

The current rate of progress of vaccination in the UK is really quite good compared to most of the world. Even so I expect it will be the end of the summer by the time everybody has received at least one jab. Hancock said some pretty stupid stuff this morning but he did concede that the vaccination programme will continue beyond the summer and the autumn flu vaccination drive will probably be combined with coronavirus vaccination. Flu after all is a different type of coronavirus. It would be great if the NHS could step up another level and commit to giving everybody over 50, those considered to be most in need of full protection, their second jab by the summer.

I did see the photos of the Queen and Prince Philip when they announced that they had both received their first jab. Because of their great age they are in the top category and would be getting their jabs about now if they were plain Mr and Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor from Hand Avenue.

I hope that the government announces that none of its' members will be doing any queue jumping. So Boris will probably get his towards the end of March, Rees-Mogg probably a month later and Sunak and Hancock, both outside the priority age groups, not until the summer. I don't expect that this is very likely but if it did happen it would do quite a bit to offset the general feeling that for this government, there is one rule for the general public and another for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pleatout said:

Or put it another way, there is a lot of protection after the 1st jab and before the second, hence the reason why the government has delayed the second

 

Covid-19: Pfizer vaccine efficacy was 52% after first dose and 95% after second dose, paper shows

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826#:~:text=The study%2C published in the,cases in the placebo group.

 

The 52% was over the average of the 3 week period.  The minute you leave the building after getting the first jab, your protection is nil.  It takes about a fortnight to get going.  Once the vaccine has taken hold and generated the antibodies, or rather taught your body how to produce its own antibodies, then protection from one jab (according to the estimates I have seen) is about 85%.

 

We will know soon enough.  They are surely collecting data about who is being infected after having the first jab and how long since the jab that it happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The 52% was over the average of the 3 week period.  The minute you leave the building after getting the first jab, your protection is nil.  It takes about a fortnight to get going.  Once the vaccine has taken hold and generated the antibodies, or rather taught your body how to produce its own antibodies, then protection from one jab (according to the estimates I have seen) is about 85%.

 

We will know soon enough.  They are surely collecting data about who is being infected after having the first jab and how long since the jab that it happened.

Yep, spot on.  My link was the first I found giving a figure for protection from one jab.  But was to refute the statement from the preivious post  that "there isnt much protection until the second jab". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Otis said:

I take it all those people were issued with a fine.

Much easier to fine people on a isolated walk.

Exactly. Yet which one is more likely to spread the virus?

 

There's zero consistency at all. Large groups of different households standing around = Allowed. Two women travelling 5 miles in seperate cars to go for a walk together = Not allowed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I worry about these epidemiologists who being rolled out asking for 'asia' style restrictions and 'aim for zero covid'. No western society has managed that and no western society will put up with those sort of restrictions. For example, outdoor mask introduction would be stupid, it would basically eliminate any opportunity of running outside.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I worry about these epidemiologists who being rolled out asking for 'asia' style restrictions and 'aim for zero covid'. No western society has managed that and no western society will put up with those sort of restrictions. For example, outdoor mask introduction would be stupid, it would basically eliminate any opportunity of running outside.

Outdoor mask wearing has been mandatory here for ages, and everyone does it, you literally never see anyone without one, even people walking on their own. We see plenty of runners and cyclists too, all wearing masks. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

So the Bournemouth arrest video was all a set up by a group of Covid deniers 

Clearly they were very bored..

It's quite surprising in how the lockdown have made some people unbalanced.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

If the restrictions get harsher and the rumour of removal of support bubbles goes ahead then I’m done with this government, I’ll not cope without my support, I rely on it for my sanity.

 


Where have you heard/read this? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-more-than-200-000-coronavirus-jabs-a-day-as-uk-on-course-to-meet-vaccination-target-12183970

 

Hancock says we're currently doing more than 200,000 vaccines a day, but we're on course to hit the targets set so far.

 

I'm looking forward to the vaccine numbers being released daily, might be a little bit of positivity everyday to see that we're getting closer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Exactly. Yet which one is more likely to spread the virus?

 

There's zero consistency at all. Large groups of different households standing around = Allowed. Two women travelling 5 miles in seperate cars to go for a walk together = Not allowed.

I took my two little dogs out this afternoon for their Sunday afternoon walk.

We walked along a few roads, then through a little wood and then through the park. We were out about an hour and probably walked a couple of miles

If I saw anyone coming up the paths, I crossed the road with a little nod and kept walking. 

The park had a few people in it, mostly dog walkers, and we kept our distance.

We had our exercise, as safely as I could make it. We got out, we had fresh air.

This is what I’ve been doing for months. It’s enough for us.

Is it really so difficult or demand so many ifs, what’s and maybe’s?
Why did those two women ‘need’ to get drive five miles to do this? I’d suggest they didn’t ‘need to’, but that they ‘wanted to’

At the moment people can’t do everything they might ‘want to do’. There’s a pandemic that’s VERY transmissible, and it’s killing people. And not only old people.

For the moment, use your noddle, get your exercise but do it locally and do it safely.

I’ve done the same thing with shopping. I’ve done ‘big shops’ by ordering online and ‘little shops’ locally. The ‘corner shop’ on the estate has been a lifeline in this respect.

I’ve not been near a superstore for months.

Doing all this in this way hasn’t been ‘difficult’ by the way. I’ve just tried to think more about it and it’s been fine 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Outdoor mask wearing has been mandatory here for ages, and everyone does it, you literally never see anyone without one, even people walking on their own. We see plenty of runners and cyclists too, all wearing masks. 

Outdoor mask wearing has never been mandatory. Only indoors. Very few people do it.

 

EDIT: I'm assuming you're UK based?

Edited by Nod.E
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I took my two little dogs out this afternoon for their Sunday afternoon walk.

We walked along a few roads, then through a little wood and then through the park. We were out about an hour and probably walked a couple of miles

If I saw anyone coming up the paths, I crossed the road with a little nod and kept walking. 

The park had a few people in it, mostly dog walkers, and we kept our distance.

We had our exercise, as safely as I could make it. We got out, we had fresh air.

This is what I’ve been doing for months. It’s enough for us.

Is it really so difficult or demand so many ifs, what’s and maybe’s?
Why did those two women ‘need’ to get drive five miles to do this? I’d suggest they didn’t ‘need to’, but that they ‘wanted to’

At the moment people can’t do everything they might ‘want to do’. There’s a pandemic that’s VERY transmissible, and it’s killing people. And not only old people.

For the moment, use your noddle, get your exercise but do it locally and do it safely.

I’ve done the same thing with shopping. I’ve done ‘big shops’ by ordering online and ‘little shops’ locally. The ‘corner shop’ on the estate has been a lifeline in this respect.

I’ve not been near a superstore for months.

Doing all this in this way hasn’t been ‘difficult’ by the way. I’ve just tried to think more about it and it’s been fine 

Given it's the most recent and talked-about example, what if the 2 women did this as well? What's the issue, then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Not everyone lives within a stones throw of parks and woods. 

Exactly, I think a vast majority of people just consider their own scenario and wonder why its an issue for others to follow suit. I include myself in that vast majority admittedly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Some people have become really strange over the last year. There’s questioning about absolutely everything, I think, borne out of boredom and frustration.

Common sense seems to have gone out the window in favour of ‘what if I did this, what would happen if I do that’ etc rather than ‘let me think this through and be sensible and safe’

There’s a real blame game going on too. ‘The government should have done this, they’ve got this wrong, it’s someone else’s fault etc’

Self responsibility seems to have vanished in favour of critiquing everyone else’s view

Weird times...

As much as I agree that people need to use common sense and take responsibility for their actions, the issue is, some people don't have common sense. Common sense suggests that you don't drive a car under the influence of any mind-altering substances, but if there wasn't clear ruling on that issue with serious repercussions, more people would do it. The bottom line is 'use your common sense' can never be used as a directive because some people simply don't have it and those people have a negative effect on those that do. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I hate how the government have turned this pandemic into blaming the public and getting people to turn on each other. They have totally diverted all attention away from how badly they have handled the whole thing. 

Gonna sound all conspiracy but I have a mate who said this from literally the first couple of weeks, he said by the end of it the public would be blaming each other and all the poor Governments decisions would be forgotten about. He says the same about classes to be fair, that Governments get the middle class to blame the working class and vice versa. I've always said he's talking bullshit but I actually have agreed with him the past few months. It's all now the public as to why we're in this position, the billions spent on a poor track and trace system has been pushed into the background.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...