Jump to content
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55653161

 

New strain in brazil, no clarity if this will impact the vaccine.

 

"A covid committee will meet on Thursday to discuss the possibility of stopping flights from Brazil"

 

FFS do it now! NOW!

 

To be fair there are lots of Brazilians who work in the UK and I guess Brits who live in Brazil. An outright flight ban is a pretty extreme measure and we're supposed to be requiring negative tests (finally) for people to enter the country so that should help at least.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bovril said:

To be fair there are lots of Brazilians who work in the UK and I guess Brits who live in Brazil. An outright flight ban is a pretty extreme measure and we're supposed to be requiring negative tests (finally) for people to enter the country so that should help at least.

Negative tests needed from Friday, so could already be too late.

When the news of the new UK strain broke, I would not expect to be able to travel anywhere abroad, no matter what the reason.

 

Who knows, maybe if we showed such ruthless initiative back in Jan/Feb last year, we may well have been in a much better position.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Negative tests needed from Friday, so could already be too late.

When the news of the new UK strain broke, I would not expect to be able to travel anywhere abroad, no matter what the reason.

 

Who knows, maybe if we showed such ruthless initiative back in Jan/Feb last year, we may well have been in a much better position.

Well yes it's 11 months too late.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dunge said:

Could, but as I understand it very, very unlikely. The far-more-likely issue with mutations are that they render the vaccine less effective by some degree rather than completely null; by what degree seems unknown at this point but will continue to be monitored. But even then, apparently at least some of the vaccines are “tweakable” (Is that a word? I’m using it anyway). I guess that means there could well be future vaccine rollouts, although there’s a good chance that prospect is hanging over us anyway.

Yup. As of yet, the mutations are not really of any concern in terms of the vaccines bringing an end to this mess. This science is roughly:

 

The Pfizer (and I think moderna, if that's mrna too) vaccine works by teaching the body how the recognise the spike protein of the virus cell

 

The spike protein is what the virus uses to invade our cells, and start replicating. 

 

The spike protein is also the site of the mutations we are seeing in the virus.

 

If the virus mutated enough that the vaccines are no longer are effective in anyway, it will likely be less infectious, because it means the virus has mutated away from what is uses to enter our cells

 

So the vaccines we have should be just fine. But you're right that now we have the tech in place, we can tweak the vaccine. I think we're likely to see this with the new more easy to transmit mutation of the virus by the end of the year.

 

The big question for the data we're collecting is how long our immune systems remember how to defeat the virus.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Whilst acknowledging your original point in the first paragraph, 60 is still surprising young, at least to me. I know when you’re 20, someone aged 60 seems very old, ready to die at any time, and should probably be measured for a coffin, but when you get there it really doesn’t feel like that.

 

Also, if that’s the average, it does mean that there would be quite a few people younger than 60 to balance all the older lot.

Oh definitely mate I agree with you. I was just pointing out it's not worse than last time in terms of the age of ICU patients.

 

PS. Do you not get measured for your coffin at 60 then? Always thought you did:whistle:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Oh definitely mate I agree with you. I was just pointing out it's not worse than last time in terms of the age of ICU patients.

 

PS. Do you not get measured for your coffin at 60 then? Always thought you did:whistle:

Haha, my kids, family, friends and wife did suggest it, but so far I have declined.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, StanSP said:

Will Gavin Williamson still force kids to go school when they're dead?

 

"We'd have never been allowed to send dead kids to school if we were still in the EU..." - Michael Gove

 

#takingbackcontrol

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Two can play this game; we just need to also mutate in response. I want a third arm.

Wait around 50 yrs or so.

How things are going you may well get one...

:ph34r:

Edited by Col city fan
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bovril said:

To be fair there are lots of Brazilians who work in the UK and I guess Brits who live in Brazil. An outright flight ban is a pretty extreme measure and we're supposed to be requiring negative tests (finally) for people to enter the country so that should help at least.

if the govt had treated this virus with those measures back in febuary/march/april then we might not be in the situation we are in now.

 

So its okay to let a few business men to travel back and fourth but all the local business we can just forget about them... these few people entering and leaving must be a lot more important right

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Buce said:

So, to be clear, any lives lost because of delaying testing until Monday are less important than 'business':

 

Covid: UK travel testing delay 'to help out business'

 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/covid-uk-travel-testing-delay-to-help-out-business

Please stop finding faults @Buce. It's a very hard call to make and the people in charge are trying their utmost, in a very difficult position. :ph34r:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was good to see Harry Kane discouraging his team-mates from getting too close last night after he scored. Imo, the FA should immediately introduce measures against players who are still ignoring the social distancing rule during goal celebrations. Yellow cards for everyone involved would seem to me to be a step in the right direction.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

It was good to see Harry Kane discouraging his team-mates from getting too close last night after he scored. Imo, the FA should immediately introduce measures against players who are still ignoring the social distancing rule during goal celebrations. Yellow cards for everyone involved would seem to me to be a step in the right direction.

Never happen as such measures would favour West Brom and Sheffield Utd and not Man Utd and Liverpool  😜

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting conversation with member of public this morning.

 

"Absolutely no way" she is going to take the vaccine unless she's forced to.  She's the mother of a paramedic who despite having taken loads of COVID sufferers to hospital, isn't interested in taking the vaccine either, partly as they have been regularly tested and have apparently "had COVID 3 times"

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Interesting conversation with member of public this morning.

 

"Absolutely no way" she is going to take the vaccine unless she's forced to.  She's the mother of a paramedic who despite having taken loads of COVID sufferers to hospital, isn't interested in taking the vaccine either, partly as they have been regularly tested and have apparently "had COVID 3 times"

We live in bizarre times and their ain’t half some bizarre people around 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We live in bizarre times and their ain’t half some bizarre people around 

You've hit the nail on the head there. An absolutely bizarre time in human history has really brought out some bizarre people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

You've hit the nail on the head there. An absolutely bizarre time in human history has really brought out some bizarre people. 

Have to agree with you there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harrydc said:

Have to agree with you there. 

For me, the biggest thing highlighted is how either incompetent the people in power seem to be and how poor certain areas of our infrastructure is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...