Jump to content
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Interesting conversation with member of public this morning.

 

"Absolutely no way" she is going to take the vaccine unless she's forced to.  She's the mother of a paramedic who despite having taken loads of COVID sufferers to hospital, isn't interested in taking the vaccine either, partly as they have been regularly tested and have apparently "had COVID 3 times"

Not sure I find it bizarre from a personal point of view :dunno:

 

If they truly have had it, and it had very little effect on them, then from a selfish point of view, why would they feel at risk?

 

Of course (And this is key, they should take it for the greater good of society as they can still transmit it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Interesting conversation with member of public this morning.

 

"Absolutely no way" she is going to take the vaccine unless she's forced to.  She's the mother of a paramedic who despite having taken loads of COVID sufferers to hospital, isn't interested in taking the vaccine either, partly as they have been regularly tested and have apparently "had COVID 3 times"

Good,  the more people who refuse to take it, the more sunbeds will be available to the rest of us when we go abroad on holiday, cos without a jab, they ain't letting you into disneyland.

 

Although, that's a bit of a lie, because at the moment, Disneyland is going to be used as a mass vaccination site.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

You've hit the nail on the head there. An absolutely bizarre time in human history has really brought out some bizarre people. 

At no time during any of this have I felt a sense of ‘we’re all in it together’. Despite the government trying to make out we are.

’The public’ (and some fookin politicians!) have argued, pushed ‘the rules’ and in many cases simply ignored them. There are STILL some offering conspiracy theories at the same time as we watch footage of thousands of people on ventilators, clutching for air like fish out of water. We lead Europe in terms of deaths and have TWICE as many as Germany, for example.

My hope lies in Science and the local people/staff who are putting themselves at risk every day by trying to get as many people vaccinated as possible.

I have zero faith in the public per se regarding Covid 19 and as you rightly say, I’ve had many ‘wtf!’ moments this last 12 months.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure I find it bizarre from a personal point of view :dunno:

 

If they truly have had it, and it had very little effect on them, then from a selfish point of view, why would they feel at risk?

 

Of course (And this is key, they should take it for the greater good of society as they can still transmit it.

 

If (and it's a very big if) you can still transmit the virus after having had it, then you will almost certainly be able to transmit it after vaccination too.  They both work by antibody production.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

If (and it's a very big if) you can still transmit the virus after having had it, then you will almost certainly be able to transmit it after vaccination too.  They both work by antibody production.

Ok, did I say something to contradict this ?   :unsure:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Ok, did I say something to contradict this ?   :unsure:

I thought you were taking it on trust that she had actually had coronavirus.  My mistake.  My point was that if you have had coronavirus then taking the vaccine won't make any difference to whether you can spread it or not; but of course if you haven't had it (and if the lady concerned thinks she has had it 3 times, she is probably wrong on all 3 occasions) then clearly you're right, taking the vaccine does make all the difference.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of days ago in Tesco (other supermarkets are available) a woman in a checkout queue (who I was about 3 metres from and there were even marks on the floor) started shouting at me, and then took off her mask and marched up to me shouting 'two metres! two metres! ****ing two metres you idiot!)" it was very bizarre.

 

I got to the checkout and started talking to the cashier who told me that the customer was known to them and does this sort of thing often. 

 

I did 2 x shops; one being for a foodbank and I heard someone remark 'bloody panic buyers! Stockpiling' or something like that. At this point I had 6 cans of soup in my trolley. If I was panic buying, I probably wouldn't go for 6 cans of chicken soup and call that a day. You want to see me panic shop when I've got the company credit card in hand and I'll show you bloody panic shopping.

 

Also security guards of sorts at the door and didn't see a single person without a mask.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

At no time during any of this have I felt a sense of ‘we’re all in it together’. Despite the government trying to make out we are.

’The public’ (and some fookin politicians!) have argued, pushed ‘the rules’ and in many cases simply ignored them. There are STILL some offering conspiracy theories at the same time as we watch footage of thousands of people on ventilators, clutching for air like fish out of water. We lead Europe in terms of deaths and have TWICE as many as Germany, for example.

My hope lies in Science and the local people/staff who are putting themselves at risk every day by trying to get as many people vaccinated as possible.

I have zero faith in the public per se regarding Covid 19 and as you rightly say, I’ve had many ‘wtf!’ moments this last 12 months.

You've summed up my thoughts on this pretty perfectly. 

 

Only time I've ever felt we were all pulling together was in the initial lockdown, where everyone pretty much followed the rules. 

But since then, too many have tried to push that line a touch further and too many then follow suit. We've been reactive, rather than proactive on too many occassions. To the point where people are involving the science in political discussions/political weapons. 

 

I'm actually moving into a test and trace job in the coming weeks, and I'm excited to be able to push to help the fight against covid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

You want to see me panic shop when I've got the company credit card in hand and I'll show you bloody panic shopping.

Absolutely. When second national lockdown was announced I emerged from Aldi with two trolley loads of pizza, potato waffle and chicken kiev. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Weekly rates seem to be coming down, predominantly in London and SE areas. 

 

Hospital admissions 'plateauing' according to Prof Neil Ferguson. 

 

Lockdown working...? 

 

(this is a positive news post sponsored by @Col city fan). 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

You've summed up my thoughts on this pretty perfectly. 

 

Only time I've ever felt we were all pulling together was in the initial lockdown, where everyone pretty much followed the rules. 

But since then, too many have tried to push that line a touch further and too many then follow suit. We've been reactive, rather than proactive on too many occassions. To the point where people are involving the science in political discussions/political weapons. 

 

I'm actually moving into a test and trace job in the coming weeks, and I'm excited to be able to push to help the fight against covid. 

Good lad!! I don’t use the term patronisingly btw I get the sense you are a ‘good lad’

👍

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Weekly rates seem to be coming down, predominantly in London and SE areas. 

 

Hospital admissions 'plateauing' according to Prof Neil Ferguson. 

 

Lockdown working...? 

 

(this is a positive news post sponsored by @Col city fan). 

Absolutely, all we've been seeing is the result of christmas and people mixing over that week.I imagine we're already past the peak now, though we won't see that data for another 2 or 3 weeks. Hopefully the last major peak we'll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dilemma here, my son was up for a few hours in the night after he had a bad dream (probably all the fear mongering now schools have closed) anyway, he's just had to go for a nap but I've done him a pizza. I've got my x 2 Cheeseburger Chicago Towns in but I'm torn on whether to have his whilst I wait and then just do him a ham sandwich when he gets up? 

 

Also, the old bill have been camped up in a car park opposite my house, they appear to be questioning a number of folk. If this is them enquiring why people are parking up and going in to the town centre then I despair. It'll be that or drugs. I might go out and see if they want a super noodles cob.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

First time today that I’ve witnessed someone actually refuse to wear a mask. Co op near me now make you apply hand sanitiser before entering and they also have masks in case you have forgot. As I was leaving a young guy from the construction site opposite comes in and the guy on the door is like “there’s a mask there as you don’t have one”. He says nah mate I’m exempt and just goes in. How can one be fit to work on a construction site and wear the required PPE, yet be unable to wear a breathable mask for about 5 minutes? It’s just a compete pisstake, he was obviously just doing it to prove a pathetic selfish point.

I now fully expect another five pages on the DDA and ‘exemptions’

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

First time today that I’ve witnessed someone actually refuse to wear a mask. Co op near me now make you apply hand sanitiser before entering and they also have masks in case you have forgot. As I was leaving a young guy from the construction site opposite comes in and the guy on the door is like “there’s a mask there as you don’t have one”. He says nah mate I’m exempt and just goes in. How can one be fit to work on a construction site and wear the required PPE, yet be unable to wear a breathable mask for about 5 minutes? It’s just a compete pisstake, he was obviously just doing it to prove a pathetic selfish point.

If these are the victories of their lives, pity the fools.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Jesus Christ, wtf is wrong with these people?

Schools in England told not to provide free school meals at half-term

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/14/schools-in-england-told-not-to-provide-free-school-meals-at-half-term

 

Headteachers in England have been told not to provide either free school meal vouchers or food parcels for disadantaged children over the half-term holiday next month, it has emerged.

With the dust barely settled following a furious row this week over substandard food parcels, the government appeared to be heading into yet another damaging dispute over children going hungry during the holidays.

 

Fresh guidance from the Department for Education published this week states: Schools do not need to provide lunch parcels or vouchers during the February half-term.” Instead, it says there is already wider government support available to support families and children outside of term-time through the Covid winter grant scheme.

The government set up the £170m winter package last November, following an earlier intervention by the footballer and anti-poverty campaigner Marcus Rashford, who has already forced the government into a series of U-turns over free school meals.

The National Education Union said, however, that councils would struggle to ensure that the money got to families.

Kevin Courtney, the joint general secretary of the National Education Union, said: “It is simply astonishing that the government has, once again, revealed its total disregard for those hardest hit by the ongoing health pandemic.

“After a year in which the stark inequalities faced by millions of children and young people has been at the forefront of the minds of the public, the ugly spectre of holiday hunger is now looming yet again.”

Courtney continued: “This week, Matt Hancock, Gavin Williamson and Boris Johnson made public statements about how appalled they were by the quality of food parcels shared on Twitter. But that is put in the shade by today’s confirmation that free school meals will not go ahead over half-term. These are battles which should not have to be repeatedly fought.

“No child should wake up feeling anxious about where their next meal is coming from, and even now millions are still waiting for the reinstatement of the national food voucher scheme after weeks of struggling to access food parcels.

“Suggesting that local councils will be able to recreate a brand new system of supplying free school meals for the week of half-term using the Covid winter grant scheme is an unnecessary logistical nightmare, and the confusion and chaos this will cause puts millions of children at risk.

“The anguish, not to mention hunger, this decision will cause is immeasurable. Ministers should hang their heads in shame and unless they reverse this decision never again speak of their concern for disadvantaged children. Their actions show very clearly that they do not care.”

Edited by Buce
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Co op near me now make you apply hand sanitiser before entering and they also have masks in case you have forgot.

I can’t use most hand sanitisers as they flair up my psoriasis, I usually carry my own but I’d be more than a bit annoyed if I couldn’t enter a shop because I’d forgotten or run out of hand cream.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I can’t use most hand sanitisers as they flair up my psoriasis, I usually carry my own but I’d be more than a bit annoyed if I couldn’t enter a shop because I’d forgotten or run out of hand cream.

Don’t go to a co op then 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I can’t use most hand sanitisers as they flair up my psoriasis, I usually carry my own but I’d be more than a bit annoyed if I couldn’t enter a shop because I’d forgotten or run out of hand cream.

Alright we get it you have soft hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A woman in tesco today had a total meltdown after she was asked to wear a mask, effing and blinding at the top of her voice, she was asked politely if she was exempt she said NO! she was told that they could provide her with a mask she refused and had to be escorted outside...baffles the mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Buce said:
 
Jesus Christ, wtf is wrong with these people?

Schools in England told not to provide free school meals at half-term

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/14/schools-in-england-told-not-to-provide-free-school-meals-at-half-term

 

Headteachers in England have been told not to provide either free school meal vouchers or food parcels for disadantaged children over the half-term holiday next month, it has emerged.

With the dust barely settled following a furious row this week over substandard food parcels, the government appeared to be heading into yet another damaging dispute over children going hungry during the holidays.

 

Fresh guidance from the Department for Education published this week states: Schools do not need to provide lunch parcels or vouchers during the February half-term.” Instead, it says there is already wider government support available to support families and children outside of term-time through the Covid winter grant scheme.

The government set up the £170m winter package last November, following an earlier intervention by the footballer and anti-poverty campaigner Marcus Rashford, who has already forced the government into a series of U-turns over free school meals.

The National Education Union said, however, that councils would struggle to ensure that the money got to families.

Kevin Courtney, the joint general secretary of the National Education Union, said: “It is simply astonishing that the government has, once again, revealed its total disregard for those hardest hit by the ongoing health pandemic.

“After a year in which the stark inequalities faced by millions of children and young people has been at the forefront of the minds of the public, the ugly spectre of holiday hunger is now looming yet again.”

Courtney continued: “This week, Matt Hancock, Gavin Williamson and Boris Johnson made public statements about how appalled they were by the quality of food parcels shared on Twitter. But that is put in the shade by today’s confirmation that free school meals will not go ahead over half-term. These are battles which should not have to be repeatedly fought.

“No child should wake up feeling anxious about where their next meal is coming from, and even now millions are still waiting for the reinstatement of the national food voucher scheme after weeks of struggling to access food parcels.

“Suggesting that local councils will be able to recreate a brand new system of supplying free school meals for the week of half-term using the Covid winter grant scheme is an unnecessary logistical nightmare, and the confusion and chaos this will cause puts millions of children at risk.

“The anguish, not to mention hunger, this decision will cause is immeasurable. Ministers should hang their heads in shame and unless they reverse this decision never again speak of their concern for disadvantaged children. Their actions show very clearly that they do not care.”

Another complete balls up by a government that haven't got a clue what goes on with disadvantaged kids whose parents don't give a shit about them and spend the money on themselves and getting pissed. They think that throwing money, our money, at the problem is the solution, and unfortunately, the companies that have taken over creating and distributing food parcels are not very good and are taking the piss by providing extremely sub standard meals and even taking £5.00 per meal as a delivery charge.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...