filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

26 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Queasy/light-headed - one of the possible side effects of vaccination is development of a slight fever, this could be an early sign.  As I'm not a doctor, probably not though. Hope you feel better soon.:)

Thanks mate. I know you've been shielding too, so I assume you've also had your first jab by now?

If so, did you suffer any side effects?

4 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

A bit of positive news - the number of people testing positive is coming down rapidly at the moment (I follow this stuff far too closely, almost obsessively). So the numbers reported on each Monday in January are as follows:

4th:  58,784

11th: 46,169

18th: 37,535

25th: 22,195

Whilst the awful daily death numbers reported will remain high for a week or two more, they will then reduce, as will the pressure on hospitals (nationally that hit a peak last week and will now likely reduce steadily, although some hospitals will continue to experience significant problems.

Excellent stuff. 

Just goes to show that by and large the public are following the restrictions superbly. They always do when the rules are clear and straightforward.

36 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

A bit of positive news - the number of people testing positive is coming down rapidly at the moment (I follow this stuff far too closely, almost obsessively). So the numbers reported on each Monday in January are as follows:

4th:  58,784

11th: 46,169

18th: 37,535

25th: 22,195

Whilst the awful daily death numbers reported will remain high for a week or two more, they will then reduce, as will the pressure on hospitals (nationally that hit a peak last week and will now likely reduce steadily, although some hospitals will continue to experience significant problems.)

Meanwhile the vaccination programme is gathering pace. We should hit the mid February target for priority groups one to four. There is initial encouraging data on protection from serious illness from Israel, which is far ahead of every other country in the vaccination stakes. I believe come March both AZ and Pfizer will be producing far more vaccine per week, and we will take our first delivery of Moderna. It would not surprise me if one million doses of vaccine are being administered per day by April.

There are still lots of ifs, buts and maybes, but I am quietly confident. I even think come May we might see small crowds allowed at the KP. Say 5000. I may well be wrong, but hope I am right.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't it finish in May.

35 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Excellent stuff. 

Just goes to show that by and large the public are following the restrictions superbly. They always do when the rules are clear and straightforward.

Hopefully good news but there have been a lot less tests the last two days so possibly not quite a big as drop as it seems

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

What have you got if you don't have hope? 

Negative thinking breeds negative outcomes.

Being positive and having hope and optimism plays a big part of my coping mechanism.

I think it definitely makes my life better.

Yes, there are times when I'm down and upset, like everyone, but I try and focus on the good things around.

Mindset is key to so many things.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Except on Motorways, where the 70mph speed limit is clear and straightforward.

I always thought that meant you weren’t supposed to go below 70, to aid traffic flow.

40 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Out for the weekly shop and been told I couldn't enter Tesco with Mrs. Noddy, which was a first. Didn't realise that had been brought in as a measure?

There's a sign outside every supermarket I've been in for months. They might be getting stricter with it, and I imagine make judgement calls on each couple they see.

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

Except on Motorways, where the 70mph speed limit is clear and straightforward.

I meant in terms of Covid restrictions. Now roads, that’s another matter...

This story in Handelsblatt about Oxford-AZ is a worry either way. German politicians briefing that it’s only 8% effective in over-65s which follows reports that the EMA is only going to approve it for under-65s. Doesn’t include any data to prove it, nor anything on the record. But it might be worth noting the FDA isn’t rushing to approve it because of trial data errors.

If it is true, well then the UK’s vaccination success is not a success at all and would undermine future efforts massively. Plus a lot of the world is relying on it. If it’s not true, then wtf are the Germans doing briefing it. I know they’re pissed off cos AZ isn’t fulfilling its supply arrangement but that’s a seriously irresponsible way to respond.

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I always thought that meant you weren’t supposed to go below 70, to aid traffic flow.

It's funny how in the highway code, there are (or certainly used to be)  minimum speed sign examples.  A blue circular sign i think.

I never believed any real life examples existed.  But i did once see one, many years ago.   Can't remember where.   

I wouldn't be surprised if there are none anymore.  The Police would probably object on principle now.

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

Germans seem to think AZ vaccine efficiency is extremely low on over 55s and may not approve it.  

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

This story in Handelsblatt about Oxford-AZ is a worry. German politicians briefing that it’s only 8% effective in over-65s which follows reports that the EMA is only going to approve it for under-65s. Doesn’t include any data to prove it, nor anything on the record. But it might be worth noting the FDA isn’t rushing to approve it because of trial data errors.

If it is true, well then the UK’s vaccination success is not a success at all and would undermine future efforts massively. If it’s not true, then wtf are the Germans doing briefing it. I know they’re pissed off cos AZ isn’t fulfilling its supply arrangement but that’s a seriously irresponsible way to respond.

My sister made sure that my 93 y o mother got the Pfizer jab.  We told the GP that we simply didn’t want the AZ jab because there wasn’t evidence it was effective in the elderly age group .....that was weeks ago ....surprised its suddenly news .... of s not going to help the country get out of this mess ..... the states and places like Israel will end up living their lives normally whilst we struggle on until the spring weather helps us out ...... and even then the newly endemic highly transmissible strain will likely keep indoor hospitality shut ....

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, bovril said:

Germans seem to think AZ vaccine efficiency is extremely low on over 55s and may not approve it.  

That doesn’t sound good .

Would put more pressure on the other vaccines to work and we must only have a limited number of those to use .

• Like 1

It looks like I shall be eligible for the vaccine shortly, however, I am allergic to wasp/bee stings and may not be able to have the vaccination. 

My GP wants me to see an allergist to check me out. Just wondering if anyone else with allergies has been told that they can't have the jab?

****ing next level disaster if true.

I know there’s a lot of politics around the AstraZeneca vaccine & the EU so hopefully it’s just that gotten out of hand, otherwise we are truly screwed given where we’re at with our rollout. 

Equally if false, whoever has leaked this ‘fake news’ should be prosecuted. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 1

I think we’re starting to see the problems with red tape in the EU. The U.K. purchased millions of doses of the vaccine last July and are now delivering . EU countries are still struggling for approvals. The bitching is beginning. And if Boris had any political nous about him, he should be offering the Italians and Greeks free AZ vaccines once the U.K. has been vaccinated.

Edited by yorkie1999
3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Out for the weekly shop and been told I couldn't enter Tesco with Mrs. Noddy, which was a first. Didn't realise that had been brought in as a measure?

Personally think it’s a great measure and needs enforcing more. No offence to you 

• Like 1