filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

16 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

The worrying thing for me is that I don’t think they would have much of a problem enforcing another lockdown. They have managed to do it reasonably well so far. The fines / punishments are so great that many people and businesses won’t break the rules.

Businesses will have to adhere but can't see people staying away from friends and family for another lengthy period

• Like 1

Roadmap seems reasonable to me.  Can argue on the gap between the different steps but they had to have some duration.  Just nice to have rough dates as, personally, was really starting to struggle with no idea how long this was going on for.

Threat of local lockdown bit worrying given the stats here.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

You're right that there's probably some financial sense to buying your own kit over a long period of time.

However, my gym offers classes as part of the membership. I can do things like circuits by myself - I wouldn't be as motivated and lack the know-how. Also the spread of kit would cost me a fortune to acquire (though may just pay for itself) and would necessitate a vast auditorium to house. I live in a terrace house.

There's also the nebulous benefit to being a member of a gym. They force you to attend, or at least for people like me they do. I'm paying for it so I'm going to use it. There is the 'I'll do it another day' attitude to exercise at the minute. 

Just as an addendum. Don't be fair to the Prime Minister. He sure as hell isn't fair to you.

The Prime Minister and his government have almost certainly helped save my life, firstly by telling me (and everyone else of my age who is quite likely to die if they catch a big dose of Covid-19) to stay indoors and take all the other precautions, then secondly by providing me with the Pfizer vaccine at the earliest possible opportunity (just after Christmas).

On the question of exercise, it seems to me that either a long run or bike ride are much cheaper alternatives to attending a gym or buying gym equipment. Duncan Bannatyne is a multi-millionaire thanks to the attendees of gyms. 

• Thanks 1

So really after Easter things will start getting back to normal which is when they did say they hope to have most people who are vulnerable and elderly fully vaccinated.

Obviously have to wait a bit longer to do things inside.

Encouraging news about the vaccine too.

Edited by Super_horns
2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Why on Earth would restrictions for weddings remain in place if large events are allowed to go ahead?

I think because controlled large events where people isolate are different to hundreds of people dancing and mingling indoors rat arsed haha

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
1 minute ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I think because controlled large events where people isolate are different to hundreds of people dancing and mingling indoors rat arsed haha

But if the aim is for all legal limits on social contact to end by the same date, that makes no sense?

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Why on Earth would restrictions for weddings remain in place if large events are allowed to go ahead?

I was hoping they would do it based on venue size and capacity determined by that. Guess it's logistically more difficult to do that though. 

My partner and I had pretty much been resigned to it being 15 people in April anyway and had banked on the fact that would be announced today. Not ideal but we'd made our peace with it. 

The Indian wedding though in August.... That looks more promising as to what we envisaged it to be :D :D :D

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

The rates in some Locations in Leicestershire would fulfil local lockdown criteria as they stand now ! So we need people locally to stick to the rules and start to drive the rates down faster 

What's the criteria for local lockdown?

Hopefully by May they'll be that many vaccinations taken place that nowhere will have to stay in lockdown. It'd be just typical and genuinely ridiculous if after over 12 months in lockdown we're still left in it.

30 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

BBC are quoted saying after June 21 this won’t be the case. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

This is much better than the supposed leak so they must have decided to be more generous last minute. If it really is irreversible then Christ June 21st is in the diary 🥳

Il definitely take that!

They are being massively pessimistic IMO based on the initial findings of vaccines studies.  I can only think they are going to come out with the "whiel we don;t want to, we can only open up properly if you can prove you are vaccinated with this handy card!

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Too slow.  The death & even hospitalisation rate is going to drop massively in the next couple of weeks.

Rates gone up today typically on a seven day comparison, albeit at nearly 100k more tests from last week 

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Rates gone up today typically on a seven day comparison, albeit at nearly 100k more tests from last week 

We will still get positive tests, just not from those most at risk.  We are now approaching the point where most of the country is living under restrictions to protect a small minority, at vast cost.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

What's the criteria for local lockdown?

Hopefully by May they'll be that many vaccinations taken place that nowhere will have to stay in lockdown. It'd be just typical and genuinely ridiculous if after over 12 months in lockdown we're still left in it.

Depends if the residents of our multi-cultural community start to come forward and have the vaccine they have been offered...