Jump to content
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I like JVT, but christ his football metaphors are shocking.

Anyone notice his little joke at the end, about us being in a race and that we mustn't fall at the last furlough? And earlier this week, the PM told the Commons that he (Starmer) vacillates whilst we vaccinate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

To roughly quote JVT, in a broad band moving diagonally from the Midlands up to the North West.  

 

 

Away from me, nice. That's all that matters :ph34r:

 

You lot need to get your act together though... 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/infection-rate-over-60s-leicester-5050254

 

Infection rate in over 60s in Leicester more than double national average
Older people who have not yet been vaccinated are being urged to


ByDan MartinPolitics Reporter
18:24, 26 FEB 2021

Coronavirus levels among people aged over 60 are ‘worryingly high’, it has been warned.

Public health officials today said they are becoming increasing worried about the number of cases among older residents with a seven-day incidence which is currently more than double the national average.


Nationally the Covid-19 rate in over 60s is 83.8 cases per 100,000 people but here it is 225.4 cases per 100,000.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: “There is no easy explanation for it but it is clear that despite the vaccination programme there is still a big problem with infections among over 60s who are the most vulnerable age group.


“The advice is that they should be very careful about having contact with others and if they have not yet had the vaccine they should get one booked as soon as possible and badger if necessary.

“This is the best way for older people to protect themselves.”

Sir Peter added: “Right now, the numbers in Leicester are amongst the highest in the country.

“They have stopped falling, even though we are still in lockdown.

“Our infection rate is over twice the national average and our over 60s rate is very worrying indeed.

“We need to make sure that we are not singled out again for restrictions if our numbers do not come down.

“Leicester is a city of densely packed housing as well as economic deprivation which means people feel they cannot afford to self-isolate if they become infected.

“Given the history of the pandemic in Leicester, and our stubbornly high rate of infection, I am writing to health secretary Matt Hancock to ask him to speed up the vaccination programme locally and ensure that all of our vaccination centres operate at full capacity. Please take the vaccine as soon as you are eligible.

The only way to avoid been singled out is to get the numbers down, I think the problem with Leicester is related to the poverty levels.  See this article here.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/17/why-leicester-blackburn-and-bradford-have-been-hit-hard-by-covid

 

We cannot fix the poverty issues overnight, but the short term policy should be to have people been told isolate to stay at home even if it means paying them to do so, the Vaccination centre situation also needs sorting out, use GP surgeries instead.  Our vaccination takeup is low, which needs community leaders getting on top of it, and council getting involved.

 

I actually think the Mayor needs to lobby the government for permission to close all business that are not directly related to food distribution "close takeaways especially".  But as usual he only seems concerned about if we going to get another local lockdown or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Finnaldo said:


You’re not wrong, once they explained it on the phone I just accepted it and went, way I see it if you’re on the list you’re on the list, they have some left over at the end of the day anyway so you might as well get it if offered. 
 

The GP’s normal reception was moved to an outbuilding, and because it was empty I did go in after my jab just to ensure there wasn’t actually muscle atrophy on my record lol 

I’ve got a bloody sore arm now!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it over simplistic to say that race/culture must be driving these smouldering case numbers in inner cities? What do Leicester, Blackburn & Bradford have in common? Is it just inner generational households, packed housing, factory working, or are certain communities causing their own downfall by ignoring restrictions and turning down vaccinations?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any information anywhere that gives the split of testing in Leicester for PCR and LF?  Regional differences could also be accounted for by the proportion of tests being carried out under PCR rather than LF.

 

 

Edited by Legend_in_blue
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Is it over simplistic to say that race/culture must be driving these smouldering case numbers in inner cities? What do Leicester, Blackburn & Bradford have in common? Is it just inner generational households, packed housing, factory working, or are certain communities causing their own downfall by ignoring restrictions and turning down vaccinations?

Not sure about ignoring restrictions but lack of vaccine take up amongst BAME people is certainly a big cause and will only get worst as we go down the age groups. It’s a bit of a taboo topic of discussion but it’s seriously likely to delay the easing of restrictions, and could mean bad news for new strains according to what the scientists are saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Is it over simplistic to say that race/culture must be driving these smouldering case numbers in inner cities? What do Leicester, Blackburn & Bradford have in common? Is it just inner generational households, packed housing, factory working, or are certain communities causing their own downfall by ignoring restrictions and turning down vaccinations?

Most of the above I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Not sure about ignoring restrictions but lack of vaccine take up amongst BAME people is certainly a big cause and will only get worst as we go down the age groups. It’s a bit of a taboo topic of discussion but it’s seriously likely to delay the easing of restrictions, and could mean bad news for new strains according to what the scientists are saying.

I don’t think it’s a taboo topic. Most BAME celebrities and “community leaders” have been running campaigns since the potential problem was spotted very early on in the vaccine roll out. Like anything, you get those stubborn in society who will just believe the conspiracies. I think there was someone on here who admitted their reluctance to take the vaccine because of a WhatsApp rumour - even though medical opinion squashed their concern on a simple search.  The vaccine is a must and conspiracy theorists need to either bring their evidence or “shut the **** up”. It cannot be a taboo topic and I don’t think those within BAME communities are treating it as one. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Is it over simplistic to say that race/culture must be driving these smouldering case numbers in inner cities? What do Leicester, Blackburn & Bradford have in common? Is it just inner generational households, packed housing, factory working, or are certain communities causing their own downfall by ignoring restrictions and turning down vaccinations?

Perhaps but applying those issues to the latest surge in NW Leicestershire doesn’t really tick those boxes - that’s the concern. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don’t think it’s a taboo topic. Most BAME celebrities and “community leaders” have been running campaigns since the potential problem was spotted very early on in the vaccine roll out. Like anything, you get those stubborn in society who will just believe the conspiracies. I think there was someone on here who admitted their reluctance to take the vaccine because of a WhatsApp rumour - even though medical opinion squashed their concern on a simple search.  The vaccine is a must and conspiracy theorists need to either bring their evidence or “shut the **** up”. It cannot be a taboo topic and I don’t think those within BAME communities are treating it as one. 

Yes I’ve seen some of plea videos and although they were very good, according to the numbers, the earliest ones haven’t made any real difference even amongst the most vulnerable of already vulnerable ethnic groups(!) I also worry that such campaigns won’t even reach the most determined to refuse the vaccine.

 Outside of those communities in the majority demographic, people will be more reluctant to inflict societal pressure on BAME communities for fear of minimising their concerns and eventually being labelled racist. In America there’s already pre-emptive articles absolving responsibility and (rightly or wrongly) defensively shifting blame to the system.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/columns/dahleen-glanton/ct-african-americans-covid-vaccine-fear-20201214-ievt67q73vhrrbge4vazbzhh34-story.html%3foutputType=amp

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/opinion/blame-america-not-black-americans-for-fear-of-covid-19-vaccine/%3famp=1

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6622889002

 

Considering we were told during the BLM protests that institutional racism is not confined to the states, it’s not really a stretch to assume that we won’t face the same issues in the UK. IMO it’s one hell of an uphill battle we have coming.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Yes I’ve seen some of plea videos and although they were very good, according to the numbers, the earliest ones haven’t made any real difference even amongst the most vulnerable of already vulnerable ethnic groups(!) I also worry that such campaigns won’t even reach the most determined to refuse the vaccine.

 Outside of those communities in the majority demographic, people will be more reluctant to inflict societal pressure on BAME communities for fear of minimising their concerns and eventually being labelled racist. In America there’s already pre-emptive articles absolving responsibility and (rightly or wrongly) defensively shifting blame to the system.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/columns/dahleen-glanton/ct-african-americans-covid-vaccine-fear-20201214-ievt67q73vhrrbge4vazbzhh34-story.html%3foutputType=amp

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/opinion/blame-america-not-black-americans-for-fear-of-covid-19-vaccine/%3famp=1

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6622889002

 

Considering we were told during the BLM protests that institutional racism is not confined to the states, it’s not really a stretch to assume that we won’t face the same issues in the UK. IMO it’s one hell of an uphill battle we have coming.

 

 

 

 

Yes but what I’m saying is, it’s not racism. There’s a problem, which with each individual community within the BAME umbrella (which is a lot) positive steps are being taken to eradicate this problem. A very different approach to that which (based on the articles posted) is different to the approach taken elsewhere. For example, you’ve got community and religious leaders being videoed taking the the vaccine. Religious institutions being used as vaccine centres. Dr’s from these communities highlighting how safe the vaccines are. If the facts suggest that there is a lower percentage of people taking up the vaccine, it’s fact, it’s evidence. It would be helpful if those figures were split between each group within the BAME community to get an even better understanding but I don’t think it’s a taboo subject given it’s being confronted in such a public manner as it is. That’s my point. Nothing wrong in highlighting a problem. 
 

It’s different when a rise in certain groups is specifically related to a culture because it’s easy - which some (I’d say lazy and ignorant) people do. But then, when there is a rise in another group the cultural and/or religious background is not highlighted. However, that’s a separate thing. 
 

The point I was making in my initial response to your point is that you’re not wrong to highlight the problem because it’s one which has already been highlighted and is being addressed vigorously. Basically, I was agreeing with you but highlighting the good and positive steps being taken (and continue to be taken) in an effort to sort it. Though, it will be a slow battle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

have a feeling that all the plaudits jacinda ardern is earning herself in nz are going to come to a grinding halt once they’re still going in and out of lockdown after *checks notes* 1 case. how long can they keep that up for and still be seen as a beacon of hope for ‘eradicating’ the virus ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

have a feeling that all the plaudits jacinda ardern is earning herself in nz are going to come to a grinding halt once they’re still going in and out of lockdown after *checks notes* 1 case. how long can they keep that up for and still be seen as a beacon of hope for ‘eradicating’ the virus ?

Once a sufficient amount of people have been vaccinated there and elsewhere it's no longer going to matter. And that shouldn't be too far away.

 

Jumping on outbreaks as they came up is something Vietnam, Korea, Aus, NZ and a couple other places did well and it shows in the overall level of disruption to their countries over the course of the pandemic compared to places that were not able to control it early.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Once a sufficient amount of people have been vaccinated there and elsewhere it's no longer going to matter. And that shouldn't be too far away.

 

Jumping on outbreaks as they came up is something Vietnam, Korea, Aus, NZ and a couple other places did well and it shows in the overall level of disruption to their countries over the course of the pandemic compared to places that were not able to control it early.

oh yeah i get that when they start vaccinations etc it won’t matter. but when is that? I haven’t really heard a lot about it over there. and I guess they don’t really need to worry about it for now. but seems as tho they’ll get left behind as the rest of the world gets on with it etc. they’ll still be locking down over very small case numbers 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

oh yeah i get that when they start vaccinations etc it won’t matter. but when is that? I haven’t really heard a lot about it over there. and I guess they don’t really need to worry about it for now. but seems as tho they’ll get left behind as the rest of the world gets on with it etc. they’ll still be locking down over very small case numbers 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-newzealand-idUSKBN2AB2KM

 

Started on Feb 20 with enough doses ordered to cover everyone three times, apparently. It would be a bit odd if, as you say, they hadn't taken steps to get that sorted because they'd just be going round and round.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2021 at 09:18, yorkie1999 said:

I thought Leicester was still in a lockdown.

 

we are, for reasons not entirely clear lockdown isnt effective in Leicester, and the county areas also now seem affected although to a lesser extent.

 

I think compliance is really low, the level of traffic on the road and people walking round in groups, with kids etc. is clearly not "only go out when essential",

 

Perhaps a give away is when we have our mayor saying our economy is resilient, because we have a higher then average amount of manufacturing, that however I think contributes to higher transmission, as most factories in Leicester have stayed running through all lockdowns.

 

The city probably needs a full on shutdown, basically every business except supermarkets and suppliers, as well as health/social care should be shut, the roads should be near dead probably for 3-4 weeks.  The problem is there will be no willpower to do it, if the government try it, all the local MPs and councillors will cry about it, the council wont do it, as they will worry about getting reelected, and too concerned about economical impact.  This isnt in those in a position of power to do whats required.

 

The only hope for the city at this point is the vaccine is effective, but I think we have low levels of adoption on that as well.

 

The government wont think twice about sticking us back in local lockdown when national ends, the vast majority of voters around the country will be fine with it.

 

I think the reasons for the high numbers are the following combined.

 

Poverty.

Types of employment in the city.

Low levels compliance (related to poverty and the high amount of students)

Poor local leadership.

High attendance at schools during lockdown (linked to poverty)

Crowded housing.

Many have the mindset of "when do we get out this damn lockdown and go back to normal" instead of "how do we get transmission down to safe levels".  Including the MPs and Councillors hence the bad leadership.

 

At least a chunk of these need addressing to solve the problem, perpetual weakly enforced lockdowns wont do it.  The definition of insanity is to keep trying the same thing again and again expecting a different result, which is what we doing.

Edited by Chrysalis
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2021 at 09:48, OrielCaziado said:

We know what’s coming Mark.  I can see it now. The June re opening of the Uk with Leicester back where it belongs in lockdown.  The holidays all cancelled from LE postcodes. The Leicester lepers part two. 

Whats sad, is it wont be seen as a problem until that date, yet its entirely predictable right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

The city probably needs a full on shutdown, basically every business except supermarkets and suppliers, as well as health/social care should be shut, the roads should be near dead probably for 3-4 weeks.  The problem is there will be no willpower to do it, if the government try it, all the local MPs and councillors will cry about it, the council wont do it, as they will worry about getting reelected, and too concerned about economical impact.  This isnt in those in a position of power to do whats required.

 

The only hope for the city at this point is the vaccine is effective, but I think we have low levels of adoption on that as well.

 

 

A full lockdown would never work, too many people are considered key workers for it to work.

 

A lockdown now isn't gonna see compliance either, people have had enough after 12 months of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Lowest number of cases since September recorded today and 20 million vaccines done.

 

Looks very promising.

Shocked it’s emerged there is a ‘variant of concern’ over here on the same day this.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...