Jump to content
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Recommended Posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56213042

 

A restaurant chain has asked furloughed staff to loan the firm part of their wages or face the sack, a union claims.

 

Tomahawk Steakhouse wants employees to sign an agreement to lend 10% of their wages each month to cover their pension and national insurance contributions, the GMB Union says.

 

... you ****ing what now? :blink:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I've just been called in for my first jab on Wednesday.

 

If I don't post after then, you'll know that the anti-vaxxers were right and I'm away conducting important business for Bill Gates.

There's absolutely nothing to worry about.  A slightly sore upper arm for a couple of days afterwards is the only thing you'll notice. The biggest danger is catching Covid-19 before the vaccine has had a chance to work its magic.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

There's absolutely nothing to worry about.  A slightly sore upper arm for a couple of days afterwards is the only thing you'll notice. The biggest danger is catching Covid-19 before the vaccine has had a chance to work its magic.

 

Thanks and agreed. I was only joking. Good point about the need not to get too complacent immediately after having the jab.

 

I'd definitely take the risk of a slightly sore arm or even feeling a bit below par for a couple of days, rather than the risk of getting Covid (not negligible as I'm in my late 50s with a heart condition) - or spreading it, of course.

 

I had the flu jab for the first time a few months back and didn't even get a sore arm.....though 30 years ago I got more exotic jabs (cholera, typhoid & yellow fever) and felt like Mike Tyson had given me a dead arm and kicked me up the arse. :D

 

Hopefully, the 12-week wait for the 2nd jab should be nicely timed, too, as I'm hoping to get away for a week in June. :fc:

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I've just been called in for my first jab on Wednesday.

 

If I don't post after then, you'll know that the anti-vaxxers were right and I'm away conducting important business for Bill Gates.

Had mine a couple of weeks ago. 

Worst thing about it was looking at the other people queuing up and thinking 'Blimey,  am I as old as these bleeders? '

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, String fellow said:

There's absolutely nothing to worry about.  A slightly sore upper arm for a couple of days afterwards is the only thing you'll notice. 

Lucky you. I had terrible side effects for 24 hours after my jab. Shivering, chest pain, breathlessness, no energy, it completely wiped me out.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56213042

 

A restaurant chain has asked furloughed staff to loan the firm part of their wages or face the sack, a union claims.

 

Tomahawk Steakhouse wants employees to sign an agreement to lend 10% of their wages each month to cover their pension and national insurance contributions, the GMB Union says.

 

... you ****ing what now? :blink:

 

 

 

Yeah, I know a hotel cleaner who cannot be furloughed as the government payments does not cover NI and pensions.  The firm cannot cover these themselves as they are not getting any income at all so it was a bit of a shitshow which seems not have been flagged up in media yet. 

 

Universal Credit also may cannot help either as if those affected lives in a household with their other half in employment then they would not be eligible so truly a catch 22 situation which is very sad.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Had mine a couple of weeks ago. 

Worst thing about it was looking at the other people queuing up and thinking 'Blimey,  am I as old as these bleeders? '

My mum went a couple of weeks back and when she returned she was moaning about how they had managed to call her up with a bunch of OAP's.

(The funny thing is she is 78) 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Lucky you. I had terrible side effects for 24 hours after my jab. Shivering, chest pain, breathlessness, no energy, it completely wiped me out.

My mum had similar mate. At one point the shivering was that bad she said it felt like she was having a fit. Thankfully that only lasted for a few minutes. 

 

She said she'll still have the second jab but she's a little concerned that might happen again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Lucky you. I had terrible side effects for 24 hours after my jab. Shivering, chest pain, breathlessness, no energy, it completely wiped me out.

My elderly mother and my sister both had the OxAZ vaccine. My mother had no side-effects, but my sister went into a 2-hour spell of shivering after about 6 hours. I had the Pfizer vaccine with no side-effects, apart from a sore arm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

My mum went a couple of weeks back and when she returned she was moaning about how they had managed to call her up with a bunch of OAP's.

(The funny thing is she is 78) 

 

A similar utterance by my grandfather went down in family legend.

 

He returned home from the village grumbling about the "old fool" he'd met who had annoyed him. Someone pointed out that he himself was over 80 and the other bloke was 10 years younger. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

104 deaths. Next Sunday/Monday we should be seeing 70-80. Finally back into double figures!

Very encouraging. Last Sunday/Monday there were 178 deaths so we've seen a significant drop-off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

At the current rate of decline how long will it take to dip below 1000 cases a day? Can't be much more than a fortnight or so?

Not so sure myself. I think kids going back to school will prevent that from happening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Not so sure myself. I think kids going back to school will prevent that from happening. 

Hopefully, if we're starting from a lower base, it won't go back to much above the figures from the past few weeks. The better weather may help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

At the current rate of decline how long will it take to dip below 1000 cases a day? Can't be much more than a fortnight or so?

As a rough estimate I think you're looking at roughtly 20% a week.

 

So if it's 20%

5000

4000

3200

2540

2032

1625

1300

1040

832

 

So around 2 months :D

 

With the vaccine + better weather we should hopefully hit those numbers quicker and be seeing single figure deaths by May as well.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Corky said:

They've found a new variant so naturally they drag Hancock out to patronise us.

It seems as though when things are starting to look promising with a little light at the end of the tunnel they try and knock us 2 steps back again. 
 

When this is all over I never want to see or hear of Matt Hancock ever again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Corky said:

They've found a new variant so naturally they drag Hancock out to patronise us.

They've found the variant from Brazil and however the government tries to paint over it, it's their fault it's here, and it's their fault they can't find who has it. Surely someone must have asked the question about the variant and the effects the vaccine would have on it before letting anyone into the country from countries where it's established.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...