Jump to content
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Recommended Posts

So given the general collapse of social distancing all over the place, why don't we have a massive jump in infections?  I struggle to see any explanation beyond this thing is not as virulent as we think it is, or it has become less so over time.

Scientists are busy sticking to the view from 6 months ago despite new evidence, which is not the scientific method.  Worrying.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

So given the general collapse of social distancing all over the place, why don't we have a massive jump in infections?  I struggle to see any explanation beyond this thing is not as virulent as we think it is, or it has become less so over time.

Scientists are busy sticking to the view from 6 months ago despite new evidence, which is not the scientific method.  Worrying.

I can't get my head around it all tbh. Why after the protests was there not a significant rise? Which one would've expected to see. Why are some getting it much worse than others? Its boggling

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Really, fair enough.

I thought it was longer but then I might be taking that from earlier in the pandemic.

Yeah at the start it was taking days. The speed of mine came as a surprise to me in all honesty. But appears the earlier problems have been ironed out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stix said:

Does anybody know what time Hancocks briefing is today? 

No time has been announced yet but according to the mercury website  (so it must be true) a local MP has heard it may even be tomorrow or much later today

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Yeah at the start it was taking days. The speed of mine came as a surprise to me in all honesty. But appears the earlier problems have been ironed out.

Are there rules for getting a test now? Is it pointless getting one straight after a flight if the incubation period is 4-5 days? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted some swabs in a priority post box about 9am last Monday morning and got the results via email at about 5am on the Wednesday (both negative). Can't expect much quicker than that really.

Edited by ealingfox
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Mine took 12 hours~

 

Was very impressed tbf.

How is your wife doing? Hopefully she's stayed asymptomatic.

 

How is @MPH doing as well? I know you said he was starting to feel better, but do you feel back to normal or still got any lingering breathlessness?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sampson said:

How is your wife doing? Hopefully she's stayed asymptomatic.

 

How is @MPH doing as well? I know you said he was starting to feel better, but do you feel back to normal or still got any lingering breathlessness?

She's doing great, no symptoms whatsoever and now happily back at work. Cheers for asking.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

She's doing great, no symptoms whatsoever and now happily back at work. Cheers for asking.

That's great news. I'm glad she only got the asymptomatic version.

 

Hopefully she's built up some antibodies for it as well going forward.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sampson said:

How is your wife doing? Hopefully she's stayed asymptomatic.

 

How is @MPH doing as well? I know you said he was starting to feel better, but do you feel back to normal or still got any lingering breathlessness?

lingering breathlessness and coughing. just had another test and it’s still positive but i’m definitely much better than i was. honestly it’s the sickest i ever felt in my life

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

So given the general collapse of social distancing all over the place, why don't we have a massive jump in infections?  I struggle to see any explanation beyond this thing is not as virulent as we think it is, or it has become less so over time.

Scientists are busy sticking to the view from 6 months ago despite new evidence, which is not the scientific method.  Worrying.

Your observation is confounded with heading into summer, when people tend to socialise outside - and we know it doesn't spread so easy outdoors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

So given the general collapse of social distancing all over the place, why don't we have a massive jump in infections?  I struggle to see any explanation beyond this thing is not as virulent as we think it is, or it has become less so over time.

Scientists are busy sticking to the view from 6 months ago despite new evidence, which is not the scientific method.  Worrying.

 

Probably cos a) all the way along there's been a tentative assumption that infection rates would be lower in summer anyway and b) cos there hasn't been a 'general collapse of social distancing' (top marks for Sun style drama). We'll gloss over the fact you're at risk of selection bias clouding your judgement and look at stuff for which there is evidence. People aren't packed onto public transport, people aren't packed into offices, people aren't packed into pubs and theatres and other indoors venues. I suspect the vast majority aren't having as many indoor meet ups with people (doubt theres data tho) and people are evidently more aware and more cautious than at the end of February now. Couple all that with the fact there is clearly much less of the virus around and not much outside introduction, it's not hard to see why rates remain low without saying the scientists are wrong. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53588709

 

'Coronavirus: Virus isolation period extended from seven to 10 days'

Just love the way politicians announce “We now know that.. blah blah...”, when stuff was quite obviously known from the beginning. Did the same with masks. Mushroom management at its finest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

So given the general collapse of social distancing all over the place, why don't we have a massive jump in infections?  I struggle to see any explanation beyond this thing is not as virulent as we think it is, or it has become less so over time.

Scientists are busy sticking to the view from 6 months ago despite new evidence, which is not the scientific method.  Worrying.

I don't think there is any science behind it whatsoever, bit of number crunching which appears to be wrong, but reading the latest view from the scientific community that a person may be contagious after a 7 day isolation so consequently we'll now have to isolate for 10 days makes me think that there's been no real science behind the statements after months of studying the the virus. I could say someone may be contagious or even a 10 year old kid could say that. Surely after all this time and all these tests, a person studying the data would be able to say how long a person is contagious for.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

 

Probably cos a) all the way along there's been a tentative assumption that infection rates would be lower in summer anyway and b) cos there hasn't been a 'general collapse of social distancing' (top marks for Sun style drama). We'll gloss over the fact you're at risk of selection bias clouding your judgement and look at stuff for which there is evidence. People aren't packed onto public transport, people aren't packed into offices, people aren't packed into pubs and theatres and other indoors venues. I suspect the vast majority aren't having as many indoor meet ups with people (doubt theres data tho) and people are evidently more aware and more cautious than at the end of February now. Couple all that with the fact there is clearly much less of the virus around and not much outside introduction, it's not hard to see why rates remain low without saying the scientists are wrong. 

At least someone understands the picture. Agree with all of this. Just to add that kids aren't at school either.

We're learning about this virus pretty much every week and none of it is good news so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

I can't get my head around it all tbh. Why after the protests was there not a significant rise? Which one would've expected to see. Why are some getting it much worse than others? Its boggling

I think it's pretty clear at this stage that your chances of being infected outdoors unless somebody coughs on you are virtually zero. 

 

I would also say that there is still a significant amount of social distancing going on compared to pre lockdown. More people are working from home, less nightclubs are open, gyms, shops etc are covid prepared, less people on transport, MASKS and people have a general awareness. 

 

It appears there's been a slight increase over the last couple of weeks although the positivity rate per test is hovering around the 0.6% mark. The test and trace system is being successful in tracing outbreaks by all accounts although for general community transmission slightly less so. Hospitals are also much more prepared for covid. 

 

The response in March/April was utterly shambolic but we appear much more onto this now and as much as I despise Boris and the Tories, it is now on the public to be responsible, get tested if they're ill and just be patient until the vaccine is ready in a few months.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

So Surely Indoor Pubs/bars will have to shut then???

Or is it just based on the assumption that social distancing will be taking place in public places but not households?

How hard is it to clear this up in the same announcement. Jesus wept. 

 

Turns out pubs/restaurants will stay open but you can only go there as members of the same household.

 

So they have to stay open but custom will be even further down than it has been since reopening. And mental health back in the gutter for the people of the region. Everybody loses.

 

So, so, utterly unnecessary.

 

At least it's not London, eh? Well of course it's not because it already swept through London in the early days of the pandemic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also what the actual fvck on Matt Hancock's reasoning, because 'some households have gathered without social distancing'.

 

Right. And that's only happened in the north has it? Nobody in London is doing that and that's why there isn't a spike* there?

 

* If you can call 12/100,000 people a spike, of course.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a big day/night out planned with mates for tomorrow, it was supposed to be the first night out, with the weather being nice presumably pubs will still serve groups on outdoor tables?

But honestly I’m so over this, I know people have suffered but we can’t just keep going like this.... locking down then opening again then closing again, It’s no way to live.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Had a big day/night out planned with mates for tomorrow, it was supposed to be the first night out, with the weather being nice presumably pubs will still serve groups on outdoor tables?

But honestly I’m so over this, I know people have suffered but we can’t just keep going like this.... locking down then opening again then closing again, It’s no way to live.

Honestly? Fvck them. Do what you want. Not often I get irrationally angry but the handling of the whole thing has got me to this point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...