filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

I think the big test will be when schools return in September. If there’s going to be a second wave, this is where it will start. One kid gets it and before you know it the whole school will be infected including the teachers and support staff and consequently taking the virus back to their family. There’s not the control in schools as there is in the wider world and it’s all very well and good the government giving assurances that it will be safe and controls will be in place but come on, we’ve all been to school and know it’s not going to happen, kids are kids and they don’t follow rules at the best of times. 

Brighton Beach yesterday

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd and outdoor

Looks more acceptable from this angle assuming it's the same section of beach

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd, sky and outdoor

I wouldn't want to be on a beach that crowded virus or no virus.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think the big test will be when schools return in September. If there’s going to be a second wave, this is where it will start. One kid gets it and before you know it the whole school will be infected including the teachers and support staff and consequently taking the virus back to their family. There’s not the control in schools as there is in the wider world and it’s all very well and good the government giving assurances that it will be safe and controls will be in place but come on, we’ve all been to school and know it’s not going to happen, kids are kids and they don’t follow rules at the best of times. 

I am hoping that they will be able to roll out those new 90 minute tests to schools.  

If they could test everyone once a week that could perhaps keep a head on it.

There is a report in the guardian today which suggests that primary schools may not be an issue anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/aug/09/what-we-are-learning-about-covid-19-and-kids

59 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Kids haven't bothered with hand washing, elbow bumping and social distancing since about mid May. 

Ok, all the contact is outdoors with fresh air and perhaps two, three  or four friends together. But the going back to school is not a quantum leap. 

Plus of course, all the kids of key workers  who attended classes never caught it off each other...them being surely the most likely to have picked it up from works parents

Edit; I do agree with you tho that Autumn will probably bring a major upswing. Once all the central heating goes on, indoor spaces are germ factories

Edited by Paninistickers

33 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Kids haven't bothered with hand washing, elbow bumping and social distancing since about mid May. 

Ok, all the contact is outdoors with fresh air and perhaps two, three  or four friends together. But the going back to school is not a quantum leap. 

Plus of course, all the kids of key workers  who attended classes never caught it off each other...them being surely the most likely to have picked it up from works parents

Edit; I do agree with you tho that Autumn will probably bring a major upswing. Once all the central heating goes on, indoor spaces are germ factories

You do realise that schools didn't have a laissez faire approach? 

At >5% capacity is possible up get children to sanitise and distance in classrooms and around the buildings, in a way that will be entirely impossible in a full school. 

If schools stick to the guidelines by the letter I can see it being managed. But I don’t see that happening unfortunately, complacency has already set in, well, at least in the one I work at anyway.