st albans fox

Defence for next season!!

this is looking like it could be a problem without some spending .....

our cover at centre back is wes and a youngster who is consistently unfit 

our cover at full back is Fuchs and JJ.  But our current first choice full backs may both be unavailable for the start of next season which leaves only U23 cover and CF really shouldn’t be considered a first choice regular. 

if we don’t buy a CB and FB (assuming Ben is leaving), then we are going to be in trouble - we can’t rely on youngsters coming through and performing. We don’t even know how reliable JJ will be when required to play consistently.... and we will hopefully have CL to play late September/early Oct !!!  Our squad is not nearly  as deep as it needs to be if we believe that we will be playing european football on a consistent basis. 

Fuchs has looked pretty decent whenever he's came in, JJ has shown a lot of promise in his few appearances and Chilwell hasn't left yet. We also have Benkovic as well as Bennett who may well join permanently, and a couple of highly-rated youngsters like Luke Thomas and Dennis Gyamfi who will get a chance eventually. Ricardo is back in light training already so there's a good chance he'll be fit again by the start of next season.

I'm never going to argue against strengthening the squad, but we've got a decent pool of players to pick from and it won't be a disaster if we had to go into next season with what we've got. We had a pretty good CL with an ageing back four of Fuchs/Huth/Morgan/Simpson without Kante in front of them, remember, and did pretty well out of that...

LB: Chilwell, Fuchs, Thomas, (JJ)

CB: Evans, Soyuncu, Bennett, Benkovic, Morgan, (Fuchs)

RB: Ricardo, JJ, Gyamfi

Looks decent to me, although a third first-choice CB would be ideal (wonder if we're still keen on Demiral now that he's recovered?). If someone (BC) leaves it'll be on a 1-out-1-in basis and we'll be fine.

I think Fuch will leave, not sure he'll want another season apart from he's family!

Not sure what will happen with Chilwell!

I can see at least 1 left back coming in, and maybe Thomas being bloodied!

Right back is fine unless Ricciardo has setback!

We could so with another CB.

Its going to an interesting  summer a lot could depend on us securing CL money!

• Like 1

I don't think we will sell Chilwell, and I have a hunch that Chelsea might not make CL (we might not either in fairness, the first couple games back will be crucial).

Nevertheless, if we had to sell Chilwell, I wouldn't mind seeing us sign a first choice leftback and two centrebacks, with Benkovic potentially going out on loan. As it is I don't think things are too bad, especially if we re-sign Fuchs. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The pandemic is likely to have a huge impact on Fuchs decision on whether to do another year or not. I can see him opting against another year now, where as before all this I think he'd have signed.

This is what I was going to say - surely he won't stay around next season with so much uncertainty. It's not like he hasn't got projects to keep him occupied in New York either. For that reason, combined with Ricardo's injury, Ben C has to stay. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Also Ricardo isn't going anywhere, especially as he is currently recovering from his ACL. Clubs will want to make sure he's all good before signing him for big money.

I want to believe this is true, but I’m not sure if it will deter people. 

same goes for demiral, people will still be in for him. Hopefully we will be.

just curious OP but why the hysteria about this now? We haven’t even closed out this season yet and we’re already panicking about next seasons back up players 😂

If chillwel leaves, he would be replaced. So that point doesn’t make sense. Are Fuchs and JJ good enough back ups? I’d argue yes. The fact JJ can cover both sides is huge as well. 

Tbf Fuchs and JJ could improve a few first teams in the league. 

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The pandemic is likely to have a huge impact on Fuchs decision on whether to do another year or not. I can see him opting against another year now, where as before all this I think he'd have signed.

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

This is what I was going to say - surely he won't stay around next season with so much uncertainty. It's not like he hasn't got projects to keep him occupied in New York either. For that reason, combined with Ricardo's injury, Ben C has to stay. 

Agree with you both here; without corona he was free to go back fairly frequently and spend time with them. But with this pandemic likely to be stretching for some time his ability to fly between here and America looks to be restricted. The time with his family during lockdown will either have reignited his desire to continue playing for a final year or to call it quits and move to the US. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Agree with you both here; without corona he was free to go back fairly frequently and spend time with them. But with this pandemic likely to be stretching for some time his ability to fly between here and America looks to be restricted. The time with his family during lockdown will either have reignited his desire to continue playing for a final year or to call it quits and move to the US. 

Frequent flying back and forth will be  a no-no now anyway with the 14 day quarantine rule currently in place. I suspect the only way we could make it work for him is if were to allow him regular longer breaks away but that's probably not workable either. If he was away and got an injury there is no way that he could be recalled quickly enough unless there was a loophole in the quarantine rules. I suspect his decision will largely be based on what the landscape is looking like in respect of travelling etc come September.

Whether he re-signs or not, i really hope that at some time he can be given a proper send off wearing his No28 shirt in front of a packed KP as is deserving for a true legend and great servant to the club.

3 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

What is this hysterical nonsense?

RB: Ricardo was earmarked to be out for 4-6 months in mid-March. He should be back in full training before the new season starts in mid-September, and I'd therefore be surprised if he wasn't match fit for the CL group stages in October.

His cover is James Justin, who can play both sides and I've been very impressed with him so far.

LB: Chilwell is here to stay unless someone bids silly money, in which case we will sign a replacement. Fuchs will hopefully stay, because he's been absolutely brilliant this season when called upon.

CB: Evans and Soyuncu are first choice. Morgan will get a contract as fourth choice. The club will sign a third choice player.

They also have Josh Knight who they could keep around as emergency cover, given there will be at least one spare slot in the CL squad for a club-trained player.

OP's entire post is 'we might be struggling if players that are probably going to stay end up leaving, and then we don't replace them'.

Dont shoot the messenger .......

Just making the point that I expect to see two quality defenders arrive in the window ...and if they don’t then 

a) we didn’t sell ben

b) I’m v worried about CB cover 

We've got a whole summer to bring in a CB and we will surely be planning on one who is a genuine threat to Evans and Soyuncu. If we play 50 games next season then three CB's could average 33 games each so plenty of playing time for all and a reason to buy the best we can.

Chilwell won't be sold without a replacement and Ricardo will be back by the start of next season. 

So we'll still Justin and Fuchs as reserve FB's with a third CB and Morgan or/and Benkovic still playing 4th choice.

No panic from me.

• Like 2