Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Crystal Palace (04/07) Pre-Match Thread

We beat them comfortably earlier this season. But we we're actually playing decent football then.

Really important we don't start tentatively. Let's start on the front foot and put them under pressure from the off.

Come on Brendan, be brave and play an attacking team. 3 5 2! with Nacho Vardy. Ayoze as CAM

Obviously the 3 points is massive today but I don't think that'll be enough, we need the performance as well. This is on paper probably our most winnable game so scraping a 1-0 doesn't cut it for me as we need a confidence boost for our remaining games 

• Like 1

Not sure why albrighton gets so much stick, well I am, people dont like 30 year olds, but generally we look better when he plays.

Like nacho he is one of the few players we have now who at least tries to drive forward.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Obviously the 3 points is massive today but I don't think that'll be enough, we need the performance as well. This is on paper probably our most winnable game so scraping a 1-0 doesn't cut it for me as we need a confidence boost for our remaining games 

I get what you're saying but at this stage, I'll take a 1-0... A win is a win and all that.

6 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

I get what you're saying but at this stage, I'll take a 1-0... A win is a win and all that.

It is, I just don't know if a 1-0 scrappy win helps us push on into the other games. But yeah please don't let us lose this 

• Like 1

If Kelechi don’t start today then I’ve lost all hope, much better 2nd half when he put himself about, deserves a run in the side now

Edited by Trelleh
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

We have to win. One of my neighbours is an arm chair Manure fan, and he’s been dancing around singing “you’ve ****ed it up” and “Maguire thinks you’re shit”......

Nothing a brick through the window won’t sort!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

It is, I just don't know if a 1-0 scrappy win helps us push on into the other games. But yeah please don't let us lose this 

I would love a convincing win and I agree we've seen it so many times before when we eke out 3 points but fail to pin point the problem in the long run, which is what you're getting at.

But at the risk of contradicting myself, I'll take any way we can eke things out to keep us in CL qualification, then have a seriously long hard look at things and how to rectify them in the interim. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Not sure why albrighton gets so much stick, well I am, people dont like 30 year olds, but generally we look better when he plays.

Like nacho he is one of the few players we have now who at least tries to drive forward.

I don’t think it’s criticism of his character, age or endeavour - it’s more the fact the impact he has, particularly in an attacking sense. For me, Albrighton doesn’t beat a man so I don’t agree that he drives forward unfortunately. He relies on space and good delivery, which he does admittedly. However, what is the point in him continually putting in balls at height when we have Vardy in the box alone? Too easy to defend and very predictable. Barnes won’t be coming to attack those balls so you look at late runs into the box - from who? Mads or Youri? They aren’t going to threaten centre halves are they?

It’s imperative we work ways to get to the byline and get behind with willing runners so the ball can be delivered low across the box or cut back for our advancing players. Defenders hate this. Then... you’ll see a difference. Has Albrighton got this in him? This is where Ricardo P was so dangerous for us on that over/under lap. I’d argue, for all his inconsistencies and poor quality at time, this calls for D.Gray. Much more threatening, will beat a man and put a more dangerous delivery in which Vardy has a chance of getting on the end of, and hopefully Kel if he plays both up top. 

Apologies for the rant but it’s a valid point I believe. Can’t keep watching us put in hopeful, wasteful balls into the box, thinking this is ‘pressure’ it’s not. Purposeful, low football. Look at Man City (albeit their quality and money spent is ridiculous I get it). But, they won’t be whipping in long high balls for Sterling or Jesus. It’s low/mid driven balls across the 6 yard box where defenders are facing their own goal. 

Edited by LukeFoxes

4 minutes ago, hejammy said:

What are the thoughts. Must win? A draw or loss and I can see a mass meltdown. I want to see something different upfront 

I'm not quite at 'must win' stage just yet but to stop the rut continuing and to not make it so easy for the teams near us, a 3 points would calm people down. Til Tuesday at least!

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm not quite at 'must win' stage just yet but to stop the rut continuing and to not make it so easy for the teams near us, a 3 points would calm people down. Til Tuesday at least!

Agreed and also do a a lot for confidence with the players. Need a quick start again but this time with an early goal 

Guest An Sionnach
3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

You know Man City are the shortest team in the league? Not saying height can’t help and actually I like the thought of trying 352 also but there was a study recently that I can’t be bothered finding that showed there is zero correlation between a teams’ height and performance. X

Better not be any Benteke headers then. Kasper will need his step ladder

14 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I think that's probably his best position, Bert. 

He's a really talented footballer IMHO but hasn't yet quite clicked properly and maybe his position is part of that.

He stated that in an interview not so long back that he prefers no.10. 

I think we are a better side when he plays.