Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Demarai Gray

7 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

It’s stick or twist this summer for Demarai. This summer will be the last opportunity we can sell for a decent enough fee, as he could go for peanuts on January. Or do we give him another contract?

I think sell if we can. He has his moments, but if as I believe is the case he is on around 60k per week, those moments are not sufficiently frequent. I don't think he's brave enough.

9 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

It’s stick or twist this summer for Demarai. This summer will be the last opportunity we can sell for a decent enough fee, as he could go for peanuts on January. Or do we give him another contract?

Probably gone if we can get a winger signed, I imagine they are waiting to actually sign one before any movement happens with him

• Like 1

Gray's problem is his footballing ego. He seems to believe he's Ronaldo. I said a few years ago now that maybe he should have been tried down the middle, but he's past the point of "potential" now. 

He's like that lad you play 5 a side with, you know that one who always takes the shot on every single time instead of making the much more simple, and much more effective, easy pass and you end up losing 5-4 when you could have been 8-5 up. 

Far too often he doesn't pick his head up and that's what has and always will hold him back

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Gray's problem is his footballing ego. He seems to believe he's Ronaldo. I said a few years ago now that maybe he should have been tried down the middle, but he's past the point of "potential" now. 

He's like that lad you play 5 a side with, you know that one who always takes the shot on every single time instead of making the much more simple, and much more effective, easy pass and you end up losing 5-4 when you could have been 8-5 up. 

Far too often he doesn't pick his head up and that's what has and always will hold him back

I often wonder why we haven't hired a coach specializing in footballing IQ it would have benefited some of our players greatly .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

This is such a tired meme, one based around a few games trying to replicate the belter against Man U, 4 years ago.

Whatever his failings, he's no more selfish than any other attacking player we have.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Probably gone if we can get a winger signed, I imagine they are waiting to actually sign one before any movement happens with him

I think you're probably right. If we can get a winger in, I think Gray will be sold and the cash will go towards the next signing.

7 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

This is such a tired meme, one based around a few games trying to replicate the belter against Man U, 4 years ago.

Whatever his failings, he's no more selfish than any other attacking player we have.

But it's not always about actually taking the shot. Often he'll make the wrong pass because he wants to cut inside and get himself into goal scoring positions too. To me, he's far too concerned about being the goal scorer rather than the creator. Footballing ego, especially amongst attacking players is an asset, if you have the ability to back it up. I've been a supporter of Gray all these years, hoping to see more from him, but the truth is that he's no better and no further along in his development than when we signed him. 

37 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

He's been given plenty of chances over five seasons under five managers. Sell.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

But it's not always about actually taking the shot. Often he'll make the wrong pass because he wants to cut inside and get himself into goal scoring positions too. To me, he's far too concerned about being the goal scorer rather than the creator. Footballing ego, especially amongst attacking players is an asset, if you have the ability to back it up. I've been a supporter of Gray all these years, hoping to see more from him, but the truth is that he's no better and no further along in his development than when we signed him. 

You have no idea this is why he cuts inside. 

I know it's not always about taking the shot. What I am saying is a short period when he did try too hard to take the shot is what started the 'selfish' myth. You seem to be left with projection as your main argument that it's actually true.

I'm going to risk a flurry of negative responses by saying I actually think he dialled back the selfishness too far four years ago, to the extent that he doesn't shoot shoot often enough!

• Like 4

On 14/09/2020 at 12:55, The_77 said:

This is ridiculous. The things FoxesTalkers imagine are going on in Gray’s head speak more about them than Gray. 

Yeah I don'tg think its an ego problem his footballing IQ needs to develop and that can only really happen with game time. Luckily for us though its never to late to learn

• Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 12:44, turtmcfly said:

You have no idea this is why he cuts inside. 

I know it's not always about taking the shot. What I am saying is a short period when he did try too hard to take the shot is what started the 'selfish' myth. You seem to be left with projection as your main argument that it's actually true.

I'm going to risk a flurry of negative responses by saying I actually think he dialled back the selfishness too far four years ago, to the extent that he doesn't shoot shoot often enough!

Agree, there were a few instances in games which made me wonder if someone had had a word with him and he's taken it too literally and now passes or crosses when a shot would be the better option! I still feel he could be a makeweight in a deal this window to bring in a better winger eg Gray + x million for Zaha. I'm trying to think of another example of an outfield player who has essentially been a sub at the same PL club for so long and both parties have stuck with it. Shola Ameobi at Newcastle perhaps, seemed like forever and a day and yes I'm aware his brother was often a sub there too? Steve Potts at West Ham? 

Has a WB/winger...I believe he should be more selfish & Shoot more. He has to start to bbelieve more  in himself and become arrogant.

He is a sort of our watered down version of John Barnes...sits back instead of driving forward......

I'm amazed at how many people are willing to get rid of Gray. 2 goals and 3 assists from 607 minutes, that's a goal or assist every 121 minutes, and would quite happily replace him with Zaha, 4 goals and 5 assists in 3280 minutes last season. a goal or assist every 364 minutes. I know statistics don't count for everything but for wingers how many goals and assists are pretty important. Our fans are very critical of our own players, but look at other teams players through rose tinted glasses and a few Youtube highlights. It's probably why a lot of the names we've been linked with we haven't gone for because most are no better than we have already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, messerschmitt said:

I'm amazed at how many people are willing to get rid of Gray. 2 goals and 3 assists from 607 minutes, that's a goal or assist every 121 minutes, and would quite happily replace him with Zaha, 4 goals and 5 assists in 3280 minutes last season. a goal or assist every 364 minutes. I know statistics don't count for everything but for wingers how many goals and assists are pretty important. Our fans are very critical of our own players, but look at other teams players through rose tinted glasses and a few Youtube highlights. It's probably why a lot of the names we've been linked with we haven't gone for because most are no better than we have already.

lol

36 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

That’s as an impact sub though when the the opposition is tiring. Can you remember a time he played well when he started? I honestly can’t. Usually gets dragged after an hour

• Like 1

1 hour ago, messerschmitt said:

Zaha had an off-year last season, which is why no one earnestly wanted him this window, including us. Personally, I do not think he will fit into the way we play (or want to play), and the constant falling over and whining/griping with the refs is irritating. However, Gray has had 4 relatively off-years. Nice lad, but time to move on.

Edited by NaijaFox

1 hour ago, fazzyfox said:

Agree, there were a few instances in games which made me wonder if someone had had a word with him and he's taken it too literally and now passes or crosses when a shot would be the better option! I still feel he could be a makeweight in a deal this window to bring in a better winger eg Gray + x million for Zaha. I'm trying to think of another example of an outfield player who has essentially been a sub at the same PL club for so long and both parties have stuck with it. Shola Ameobi at Newcastle perhaps, seemed like forever and a day and yes I'm aware his brother was often a sub there too? Steve Potts at West Ham? 

...he seems to be getting his head up more and switches the play to the other winger or forward when previously he would have taken the ball into a dead end!!!

Someone has had a word and he is now learning that he is part of a unit and needs to lend the ball more. he seems more relaxed on the ball and it has taken too long for him to address this.