8 minutes ago, Luttfox said:

Well no, but those players were/are wanted by the club

Similar to Slim, Silva etc, If nobody wants them or is willing to pay there isnt much the club can do but let them leave for free and get them off the wage bill. Both of them were £30m wasted which we wont see any return on (except loan fees) whereas all im saying with Gray is if we can't get a fee for him, and let him go for free, we've had 4/5 years out of him and only lost £3m

I get what you mean, but I don't lump Gray in with the rest of our deadwood. I'm sure there would be plenty of interest in Gray. He's a 24-year old, English player who would be very useful for a lower-half PL or a promotion-chasing Championship club. I don't think his wages price him out of a move and he's weirdly highly-rated outside the club. I can easily see a PL club coming in for him, whereas we've really struggled to give Slimani or Silva away.

It wouldn't be a disaster if we kept him around for this season, because he would be some use to us, but I'd much rather we cashed in and put the money back into the squad. Seems a shame to throw ~£10m away when we could sign Ounas or someone with it, instead.

40 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Gray hasn't contributed a fraction of what albrighton has for this football club. Gray has been here years it isn't going to happen for him.

I’m not saying he has, but I’d wager Gray would contribute more over the next few years if given the same amount of game time as Albrighton. 

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I’m not saying he has, but I’d wager Gray would contribute more over the next few years if given the same amount of game time as Albrighton. 

Possibly and i would love it if he did, but it really looks like he's going to move on, i hope it works for him either way. 

2 hours ago, baldeagle said:

This is something I just find so interesting . I remember when Barnes was coming through and going out on loan lot of people saying he was skilful but lacked any pace but he’s just seems to be getting quicker and quicker . Now I know your  bodies develop  with age but he just seems to be rapid compared to what he was . 

Vardy's secret juice. 😉

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I hope we continue to compare all our young signings with Champions League winners who played for Inter Milan and Real Madrid. It's only fair. 

I wasn’t comparing the whole player. Just the speed of thought and vision. Gray probably has better physical attributes and more ball skills than Cambiasso had at the same age, but the it’s the choices he makes that frustrate and I think ultimately keep him out of our starting eleven. 

25 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

The “private call” must have been placed in the Wolverhampton branch of KFC... what a clown 🤡  

Does gray have any Portuguese background? If not, wont happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Will be happy to see him go. Even if it’s ten mil, I’d rather it be spent elsewhere. Even if we bring a young lad in for that etc. Ounas could be a good call for not much more money but doubt he’d want to be a squad player.

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

If, and only if we sign two wide players this window 👍

Steve he was atrocious. Its OK to admit that we had the odd poor player during the O'Neill years. Impey had absolutely no footballing brain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, happy85 said:

BR never forgiven gray since this moment 

Tears? 99% of us shrugged and walked out. Then just stared confused and a bit amused at the twelve year olds on the pitch offering us out, and more confused and more amused at the grown adults outside trying to start fights even though they'd won. 

Weird people. 

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Sorry God, forgot you were able to rule out possible future events :beer:

Sorry, but it’s hardly omnipotence that after 4 years of waiting that gif represents the sentiment understandably shared by most of our fans, even if Gray subsequently manages to come good. 

Edited by NaijaFox
2 hours ago, Bert said:

I remember arguing on here saying “Barnes lacks that real pace” but that’s come on like you’d never believe. 

Remember his debut he was just sort of plodding about in midfield and couldn't work out why he was playing on the wing in the youth teams for England.

Even over the last year its gone through the roof. He's shredded a lot of fullbacks for sheer pace. Must do a lot of gym work.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Steve he was atrocious. Its OK to admit that we had the odd poor player during the O'Neill years. Impey had absolutely no footballing brain. 

The brain I'll give you! But he had wonderful feet, good positional sense and was an upgrade - big time - on Lily at RWB. 

I first saw him live playing LB at Old Trafford for QPR. I was at pitch level, which as you'll know @Ric Flair gives you a real sense of the pace of the game, if not the best picture of it. He was quite superb, never hurried in possession, always composed. IMO, the best player on the pitch that day. Consequently, I was chuffed when we signed him and pre-disposed to like him when he played. I don't remember ever seeing him have a stinker either!

Poor players in the O'Neill era? Fenton, Gunlaugsson, Gilchrist, Lawrence to name but 4...

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

If we're choosing between the two I'd pick Albrighton all day. The man has worked his socks off for this club and deserves to leave on his terms. Gray hasn't really progressed at all since we signed him.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

If we're choosing between the two I'd pick Albrighton all day. The man has worked his socks off for this club and deserves to leave on his terms. Gray hasn't really progressed at all since we signed him.

Can’t argue with the fact that Albrighton has done so much for us and will go down as a legend of the club, but he just doesn’t suit our system anymore.

Love the guy but as I originally said, I’d still rather persist with Gray if it was one or the other, although financially I can see why selling Gray makes more sense. 

• Like 1

Judging by Brendan’s comments in his pre match interview, he didn’t seem particularly bothered one way or the other if Gray left or not. I’d love to see him make it as a PL first team player, but I don’t think it will be with us.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Is his inclusion  in the squad dependent on him either signing a new contract or considering being sold.  He has quality.   He has value.  If he has decided to run down his contract  he may well be writing a chapter of his biography: 'The first wilderness year.'

• Like 1