5 minutes ago, majaco said:

Is his inclusion  in the squad dependent on him either signing a new contract or considering being sold.  He has quality.   He has value.  If he has decided to run down his contract  he may well be writing a chapter of his biography: 'The first wilderness year.'

I think you’re probably spot on with this.

Just now, Jobyfox said:

Albrighton v Gray is the classic case of one player making the most of limited ability and another wasting his talent. We've waited and waited for Gray to come good and it hasn't happened. Various managers have come in and it's looked like Gray will be  phased in and Albrighton phased out. All have reverted back to Albrighton eventually. 

If we get Under then Gray slips a further place down the pecking order. There comes a point when we just have to accept it's not going to happen here. I'm not totally convinced it'll happen anywhere. 

Added to this the fact that Gray always seemed to rate his ability higher than his performances demonstrated, his contract is running down with no sign of a new one and that we could do with getting peripheral players off the books - I'd take any sensible offer for him. 

Over the years, i have heard a lot of love for Albrighton.  People come to like him.  He is a brilliant member of our squad.  He is so reliable and provides so much on the pitch.  He is not involved in enough goals though.  He is an example of a player who has made the most of his ability, he is a forever Premier League winner.  He has a football brain (when not giving away late penalties at Anfield).

In contrast, Gray seems to have an excess of natural ability that he struggles to access with any regularity and with little consistency.  He too is a forever Premier League winner but will not be remembered as a legend like Albrighton.  Comments on this forum reflect that people have been hoping for years that it all comes together for Gray; I still do.  

Currently  if the club decided one could move on  I would retain  Albrighton.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Albrighton v Gray is the classic case of one player making the most of limited ability and another wasting his talent. We've waited and waited for Gray to come good and it hasn't happened. Various managers have come in and it's looked like Gray will be  phased in and Albrighton phased out. All have reverted back to Albrighton eventually. 

If we get Under then Gray slips a further place down the pecking order. There comes a point when we just have to accept it's not going to happen here. I'm not totally convinced it'll happen anywhere. 

Added to this the fact that Gray always seemed to rate his ability higher than his performances demonstrated, his contract is running down with no sign of a new one and that we could do with getting peripheral players off the books - I'd take any sensible offer for him. 

To be honest a lot of Villa fans could have said the same about Albrighton as we are with Gray at 23/24.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Remember albrighton was released on a free by villa at 24. Sometimes it isnt as easy as working hard and it paying off, sometimes things just dont go right for you and you need a change of scenery to get back on your feet. I think Gray has a mental block for us when he starts matches, i wouldnt be surprised if his career path takes a similar route to albrighton's where a fresh start allows him to use his talent for 90 minutes rather than just off the bench.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Remember albrighton was released on a free by villa at 24. Sometimes it isnt as easy as working hard and it paying off, sometimes things just dont go right for you and you need a change of scenery to get back on your feet. I think Gray has a mental block for us when he starts matches, i wouldnt be surprised if his career path takes a similar route to albrighton's where a fresh start allows him to use his talent for 90 minutes rather than just off the bench.

Yes I agree with this and I think that people worry that we'll let him go and he'll suddenly look great elsewhere. This could happen.

I just think that we've got to the point where we shouldn't be afraid of that anymore. It's not working for us and we should concentrate on others and he should look at resurrecting his career elsewhere - if the opportunity arises. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Farley said:

Isn’t Cantwell a more central player? 

Yes, I don't think we need Ünder and another out and out winger if Gray goes this season. Cantwell would challenge Maddison for the advanced midfielder role or could play instead of Barnes if injured or out of form. He played in that inverted LW role for Norwich.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes, I don't think we need Ünder and another out and out winger if Gray goes this season. Cantwell would challenge Maddison for the advanced midfielder role or could play instead of Barnes if injured or out of form. He played in that inverted LW role for Norwich.

I'm really surprised no-body has gone for Cantwell or Buendia yet? I think Cantwell would fit in well with the team and a little healthy competition never hurt anybody!

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

His output from the bench last season was a bigger improvement than previous years but bar West Ham away I cannot think of a game he started last season where he offered anything. We ought to cash in as I don't see why he will sign a new deal here and be 4/5th choice.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His output from the bench last season was a bigger improvement than previous years but bar West Ham away I cannot think of a game he started last season where he offered anything. We ought to cash in as I don't see why he will sign a new deal here and be 4/5th choice.

Exactly this. We can replace with someone of similar potential quite easily I'd say and hope that they develop better 

Albrighton, Ünder, Perez and Barnes for three cups and one league campaign might just be enough, though one is played out of position, one is a safe option and one is an unknown. Gray’s goals did win us points last season from the bench so it’s hardly a no-brainer to sell.

But after an exhausting season, and in the quarter final of Europa, with fifteen minutes to play, a goal down, I would be happy to see Gray warming up on the bench.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Didnt he only start 3 pl games? Outside of that he was good when he started in the league cup and terrible in the FA cup but if youre talking about the league then 1 good start (west ham), 1 bad start (man u) and one average start (brighton) isnt that bad.

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Sell Gray for £5-10m and buy Cantwell for £15m. Promote Terell Pennant next season as our 4th choice winger.

Didn’t Norwich reject a £20m offer from Barcelona for Aarons? Why would they sell Cantwell for £15m? 

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Didn’t Norwich reject a £20m offer from Barcelona for Aarons? Why would they sell Cantwell for £15m? 

It was a loan to buy option 

Norwich wanted loan to obligation buy 

barca moved on

25 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Lol so if under gets injured people think albrighton, Perez who isn’t a winger and Barnes is enough. We need another winger 200%

It would be good, but I don't think it's that urgent. A centre-half is by far top priority. After that, I think maybe another CB or a creative no.8.