Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Demarai Gray

9 hours ago, casablancas said:

Buendia for 15 or that lad Ounas? Did I get that right ... for a similar amount. 

Buendia will go for at least what Maddison cost you’d imagine, he has the additional value of having shown what he can do in the Prem, but minus the English player premium. 

19 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Did Rodgers ever freeze a player out at Celtic?

At the moment I get the feeling that the club have offered Gray a new contract but it's probably a mediocre one with the view that he's a squad player not a first team starter. So the club stance (IE not just Rodgers, but Rudkin also) is "take the contract or find a new club" and won't put him in match day squads until either decision is made. It will be interesting to see if he starts the Carabao Cup game as a result.

It's also telling there's no real interest in the player as yet. That Spurs link was clearly led by his agent and with Bale, Son, Lucas Moura, Lamela, etc, he's not going there. 

Yeah a few soon as he arrived, Commons being the most notable.

Yeah the Spurs link was always a bit fanciful, he's not good enough to get on their bench either.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I Think if you get a decent offer, say in the region of £15m he's gone given he looks intent on running his contract down. He made very little contribution last season and he's struggling to even make the match day squads at the moment so I don't think his exit would be much of a factor at all.

He's free to talk to other clubs in about 100 days, I think the club would take half that, maybe even £5m.

He actually did quite well last season statistically but the truth is he's the same player at 24 that he was at 19. He's had ample opportunity to force his way in this team since Mahrez left but he only ever shows quality in glimpses and never sustains it. Shame as I had high hopes for him as he has the tools but you can only dine out on potential for so long and once you hit 23 that card has been played, he's 24 now.

• Like 2

It's such a shame about Demarai. Once upon a time he was seen as the next big thing with the under 21s.. more than Maddison, Grealish, Mount etc, It's a shame he never progressed like the others. I honestly thought when Mahrez left he'd push on and smash it. I remember when I was at Southampton once, he lost the ball, and just pulled his shirt over his head and threw his arms down. Seemed oblivious that Saints were breaking on goal, and didn't seem to want to put the effort in to get back to atone. Will go down as a missed opportunity I think. Will probably come back here and score a hat-trick now I said that..  

Awkward one this, he's clearly not fancied nor is he good enough for us, but there doesn't seem to be much interest from anyone to take him even for what would probably be a modest fee in today's market. 

He'll probably spend the season here barely featuring, and we'll get treated to a bunch more childish tweets from him about "patience" and "growth" 

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I remember Martin O'Neill once saying that ultimately he doesn't pick the side but the players do.

Gray has no one to blame but himself, since Mahrez left it has been one of the weakest positions in the first XI and he still hasn't made that place his own. If Under now performs then Gray is 5th choice winger again and that's his doing not the club's.

Compare him to Soyuncu who came here and was never breaking into that Evans/Maguire partnership. Even Benkovic was considered the next cab off the rank after his fantastic performances at Celtic. Soyuncu against all the odds got ahead of Benkovic and when Maguire left BR decided to go with him as very much an unknown quantity rather than spend the Maguire money on a replacement. Soyuncu fought like an alley cat to get his place. Bottom line is if you're not in the team that's your fault and not the club's. Gray never had to overtake a Vardy, Schmeichel, etc to make that place his own. 

Absolutely, if he's actually that bothered about playing he needs to leave and go somewhere and do exactly what you've said above. Otherwise his career will just pass him by whilst he's been sat there "biding his time" #patience #blessed. 

1 hour ago, Simoken said:

Compare him to Harvey Barnes and the amount of time it took him to adapt... Hes good team player but not good enough for what we need at the top of the table push.

I tend to agree with this. Gray definitely has great technical ability, but he hasn’t done enough with the chances he’s been given unfortunately. I really hope he fulfils his potential, but it doesn’t look like it’ll be with us. Shame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

I remember Martin O'Neill once saying that ultimately he doesn't pick the side but the players do.

Gray has no one to blame but himself, since Mahrez left it has been one of the weakest positions in the first XI and he still hasn't made that place his own. If Under now performs then Gray is 5th choice winger again and that's his doing not the club's.

Compare him to Soyuncu who came here and was never breaking into that Evans/Maguire partnership. Even Benkovic was considered the next cab off the rank after his fantastic performances at Celtic. Soyuncu against all the odds got ahead of Benkovic and when Maguire left BR decided to go with him as very much an unknown quantity rather than spend the Maguire money on a replacement. Soyuncu fought like an alley cat to get his place. Bottom line is if you're not in the team that's your fault and not the club's. Gray never had to overtake a Vardy, Schmeichel, etc to make that place his own. 

Underrated post :thumbup:

• Like 1

Looks like he's run out of road,

There is occasional glimpses every once in a while but he never puts it right over a longer period of time.

Right or wrong he was a forerunner to the disappointing signings of Summer 2016. I doubt Pearson would have had him anywhere near the club.

He's the kind of player to follow in the footsteps of Nugent/Knockaert. Could be at a side chasing promotion to the top flight by the time he gets to 30.

47 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

They've started a thread over on the Burnley forum, their fans screaming to bring him in. Some of them are even saying they would pay £20m....

Load Dimmi up in the boot, we are going on a road trip!

That's a good shout. I actually think with his skill set that he would do very well at a club that relies more on counter attack and long ball and is less possession based like ours. He's a tremendous open field runner who can drive opposition defenses insane with his speed. There are plenty of opportunities for him in the league. For 20 mil and if he's not in our plans then we'd be crazy not to sell.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been that much interest because he was the most exciting player in the England Under 21s a couple of years back and he has the ability to come in and change games. It is just the final pass that is lacking sometimes and it is a shame that his career hasn't gone up to the next level.

Talk of 5 or 10 million is a bit of an  insult when we are quoted £40 million or so for Brooks or McNeil. £15-20 million as a minimum is fair IMO. That might be

enough to sort out the central defence or go someway towards another striker.

18 minutes ago, SO1 said:

That's a good shout. I actually think with his skill set that he would do very well at a club that relies more on counter attack and long ball and is less possession based like ours. He's a tremendous open field runner who can drive opposition defenses insane with his speed. There are plenty of opportunities for him in the league. For 20 mil and if he's not in our plans then we'd be crazy not to sell.

I actually think that Albrighton would suit them better. Great crosser of the ball and they have some big targets up to. Doesn't shy away from a bit of graft either. 

12 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I actually think that Albrighton would suit them better. Great crosser of the ball and they have some big targets up to. Doesn't shy away from a bit of graft either. 

Actually think Albrighton is important to us for exactly the reasons you stated. 

What did you think of McNeil yesterday? Still think he's worth 30mil? Have to admit I was a bit disappointed. He's going to have to break out of there if he wants to show his potential. Apologies if I'm mistaken that you showed interest in the player.

He's a tidy player on his day

In a formation and style of play that suits him he will be lurking in the highlights on occasion of PL match summaries.

I always hoped he would kick on here but then again I had a soft spot for Schlupp and wished the exact same thing  :ph34r:

I wish him all the best

15 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Actually think Albrighton is important to us for exactly the reasons you stated. 

What did you think of McNeil yesterday? Still think he's worth 30mil? Have to admit I was a bit disappointed. He's going to have to break out of there if he wants to show his potential. Apologies if I'm mistaken that you showed interest in the player.

No, he was very unimpressive. I could make excuses about his age and the style of team he's Is in but based on that performance, he's worth 20 at best. 

IMO he is much better player then Perez. Don't get me wrong , Perez is a hard worker and all, but he's does a horrible job on the wing, there is a reason why he is our most substituted player. Most of his goals and assists came from a CF or CAM position which suits him better. I think Perez gets more first team action because we're obligated by contract and nothing more. If Demarai will get that much amount of playtime he'll be much more effective than Perez. Off course signing Ünder will make both go down the pecking order, but it will surely show how bad we had it with Perez. 

• Like 1

Just now, BlackFox said:

IMO he is much better player then Perez. Don't get me wrong , Perez is a hard worker and all, but he's does a horrible job on the wing, there is a reason why he is our most substituted player. Most of his goals and assists came from a CF or CAM position which suits him better. I think Perez gets more first team action because we're obligated by contract and nothing more. If Demarai will get that much amount of playtime he'll be much more effective than Perez. Off course signing Ünder will make both go down the pecking order, but it will surely show how bad we had it with Perez. 

Would get the same amount of goals and assists that Perez does? The answer seems to be a resounding NO. 

Perez is a frustrating player but at Newcastle his return was decent and for us last season it wasn't too bad (8 goals and 4 assists). He definitely needs to improve here and hopefully he will.