Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Demarai Gray

5 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

Last year of his contract so we’ll get next to nothing for him... with our lack of wingers I’d personally keep him unless we’ve got a couple in the pipeline 

If we can’t find an adequate replacement for good value then it would be a sensible option.

A new player is going to cost us £15m+, potentially higher wages, signing bonus and agents fee. The better outlay if we’re tight for cash may be to delay this 12 months, then lose him on a free transfer. 

10 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I reckon we could get a huge fee for him. I don't think he is worth one but I think the right buyer may pay 40 million for him.

:D

Who is paying £40m for a 24yo Leicester reserve who has never been a regular with 10 months left on his contract?

If he does end up at Tottenham it will probably be on a Bosman with a pre contract signed in just over 4 months. They won't want to pay any sort of significant fee for him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gerard said:

:D

Who is paying £40m for a 24yo Leicester reserve who has never been a regular with 10 months left on his contract?

If he does end up at Tottenham it will probably be on a Bosman with a pre contract signed in just over 4 months. They won't want to pay any sort of significant fee for him. 

I didn't realise when I posted it he only had 10 months on his contract. I still think he will go for a decent sum though. Just because he's still highly rated for some reason. Considering his contract wouldn't be surprised if we managed to get 20 million for him 

From his point of view, I'm sure he'd snap their hand off. A new club where he might get more game time, more prestigious club, London, more money. 

From our point of view, money for a fringe player and free up a bit of wages. 

Unless the fee offered is an absolute insult, best for everyone. 

• Like 1

Just now, Webbo said:

From his point of view, I'm sure he'd snap their hand off. A new club where he might get more game time, more prestigious club, London, more money. 

From our point of view, money for a fringe player and free up a bit of wages. 

Unless the fee offered is an absolute insult, best for everyone. 

Lads. Its Levy. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, brookfox said:

Genuine interest or agent trying to get him a bumper new contract?

Mourinho praised Levy for doing "excellent business" by signing players for cheap because they were on the last year of their deals, such as Hojberg from Southampton. If you recall there was a season where Man U beat us 4-1, but Gray scored an absolute banger as a consolation, and since then Mourinho has liked him. So I think the interest is genuine.

For me, the fact that Brendan Rodgers couldn't get the best out of him means we should consider the offer. Rodgers is one of the best coaches around for developing young attacking players, and we're seeing that with Barnes and Nacho. I can't see Gray being dramatically better than he is now and to get to the next level we need players that are better than him. He is a very useful squad member, but if we could pocket some change and buy / or loan another winger or two, I think that's a better option. We could also persist with not playing 4141 and go for 3412 or 442 Diamond like we've seen a few times this season too. I think we will offer him a new contract, but I could see him leaving as he's not guaranteed starting time here.

The fact that he's in his last year shows we would be up for discussions, and it's most likely that he'll be moving on soon. Shame it's not worked out better for him, but he's still a PL winner with us and that goal he scored for Vichai at Cardiff will live long in my memory. 

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Exclusive: Tottenham open preliminary talks to sign Leicester City star
By Wayne Veysey -25th August 2020 at 11:24am1

Tottenham have held preliminary discussions over signing long-time target Demarai Gray from Leicester City this summer, Football Insider understands.

Spurs manager Jose Mourinho has stepped up his pursuit of the wide forward, 23, after being given encouragement over a potential deal.

An industry source has told Football Insider that Mourinho has personally spoken to Gray, 24, as he looks to convince him to move to north London.

Gray is believed to be open to the possibility of moving to Tottenham after failing to nail down a regular starting spot in Brendan Rodgers’ side.

The winger is predominantly used as a substitute by the Foxes and made just three Premier League starts last season among 29 appearances in all competitions.

He has entered the final year of his contract at Leicester and they could be forced to cash in on him this window rather than risk allowing him to run down his contract and leave for nothing.

Former Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino was also a firm admirer of Gray’s dynamism, electric pace and ability to provide cutting edge in the final third.

Spurs bid for him before he signed an improved Leicester contract in 2017 and have continued to track his progress.

He has now accumulated 167 appearances for the Foxes since signing from Birmingham City, accumulating 13 goals and 17 assists.

He made 78 appearances for the Blues before switching from west to east Midlands four years ago.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-tottenham-open-preliminary-talks-to-sign-leicester-city-star/

Unbelievably Gray manages to be both 23 and 24 in the first 2 paragraphs.

Just now, UniFox21 said:

C'mon this is agent talk, he wants a new contract 

It's closed season, the window is open. If Spurs are interested they will have contacted the club by now. If we were hoping to keep him then contract talks would have started last year. 

It's either a made up story by the press or it's true, it won't be his agent

Opinions always seem to be extremes, a player is either amazing or terrible. Gray is undoubtedly a hugely talented footballer. He has all of the attributes to be a very good player for Leicester - he’s quick, has very good technique and can impact a game. The thing that holds him back is his decision-making and lack of a football brain. Personally, I’d like to see the club continue to work with him and develop his game. There is definitely something there and you would struggle to find better in the current market for the same fee! 

Sell. He has had more than enough time, plus letting him go on a free next summer is out of the question.

People may say he is a squad player, but I'll say the same thing that I said about Nampalys Mendy when he got a new contract, he is not a Premier League quality player.

However, all this aside, we are already light on quality on the wings. If the club continues to drag its heels on any incoming signings, then maybe we will need Gray to stay put.

Wonder how much we'd get for him. 

I haven't been his biggest fan purely because of all the inconsistency and as much as I agree we need to sell and make some money off him, I wouldn't be so keen on doing so unless we get players in. Let's face it we have a small squad and losing Gray, whilst not hugely impacting the talent of the side, would still be a loss to the side because it's one less attacking player to call on when needed. I can only hope we have some options and deals lined up that we're confident of sealing if we're willing to sell Gray now. 

• Like 1