Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

We tried the low block away at Man Utd earlier in the season and away at Man City, but the problem was that we just sat off them. It's one thing to sit deep and compact, but you still have to be aggressive to break up their flow and launch counter attacks. In both of those games we were so tame and just constantly backed away.

 

Our best chance on Sunday, if we need a result, is to a make a nuisance of ourselves. Get in their faces and make life hard for them. Get in the refs face as well and don't let him fall for the bullshit that Man Utd like to pull.

 

If we aren't fired up for this one I don't know when we ever will.

I missed the Man Utd game as I was driving back from Cornwall but that team selection and performance sounded very similar to what we'd tried to do in a few other games at the start of the season and it didn't work I agree. The Man City game was weird, both home and away I felt like we were in the game but that away game after launching the perfect counter attack to take the lead we faced a Man City side so pumped up they were very difficult to handle, yet we still had 2 very good chances to equalise in the 2nd half, one of which even after the poor miss should have been a penalty on Barnes. I'm not saying we should approach the game on Sunday in exactly this manner and we are without some crucial players at the back, I just worry for our team shape if we go to aggressive, it'll be a fine balance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Agree with everyone saying we must keep it tight and look to counter.

 

If Brendan doesn't set up this way I think a lot of us will lose some more faith in him, because it's clear as day we're just the sort of side that will concede 5/6 to Utd playing our usual style. They will have a field day.

 

I admire Brendan for his passion and self-belief to play an expansive game,and would rather watch this than a Mourinho or Hodgson team every day of the week. However there comes a point where you have got to be pragmatic, especially with so much on the line.

He gets this reputation from hammerings in Europe when managing Celtic and from the poor results we have had vs the top 4-5 but then you see how he set us up vs Wolves at home on the 1st game of this season or vs Brighton where he played Ndidi and Mendy and you have to question if he does always stick with the same principles. I personally think he tries to be too clever at times and when it doesn't work and confidence is low then too many ideas and options leads to a lack of direction and execution.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I would revert to our tried and tested 4-3-3 for this...

 

Kasper

JJ Morgan Evans Thomas

Hamza Youri Wilf

Perez Vards Barnes

 

Shame for Nacho, but I think this leaves us more balanced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Firstly, I respect your points of view expressed here - that doesn't mean I agree with them all, and I hope you can forgive me differing and not seeing things as clearly, or at least clearly in the way that you do.

 

2 things - I seek to explain, rather than excuse, as I cannot be doing with all the speculation and confident assertions about BR's ego etc. And secondly, there's never unanimous anything on FT (perhaps apart from after the death of Vichai), so please spare me that line of argument. In the case of Pearson at the very least, there would be many people defending his record.

 

 

Yes in retrospect you're absolutely right to pick me up on that. If we could be unanimous about anything possibly, it would be that we're never unanimous on here usually with the very odd exception like the one you pointed out. In fact we all just give our own opinions, all of which whether we agree or disagree, are equally as valid on a forum as I suppose that's a main point of one really. 

 

Secondly, I in no way meant to belittle the work of NP, on the contrary, I'm a big fan and fully recognise the job he did here in sometimes difficult circumstances. I'm very disappointed in fact about the Watford debacle, whatever that's about as I really wanted both him and Shakespeare to succeed. 

 

I suppose what I was clumsily trying to say was that sometimes, compared with other managers, Rodgers appears to me to be given a lot more benefit of the doubt due to in my opinion, media bias, pleasant personality and clever speak as opposed to pure footballing reasons. In stark contrast, we had Puel who came into the club without the benefit of the talented squad that Rodgers inherited, with huge off field problems to solve that again Rodgers didn't have, in his tenure recruited some of our more talented prospects of recent transfer windows as well as bringing some of our own young talent through yet, when results didn't go his way, to me, the protest against him was far more vociferous. In fsirness he didn't actually curry any favouur with his public however due to his dour interviews, some due to language skills admittedly, and his alleged poor man management style. However, did he get a fair media coverage before he even got here notwithstanding that his previous managent record was for me at least, far in advance of the media hyped Rodgers? I don't think personally, from some of what I saw on here, he was even given a chance from the start and some just wanted him out even when results were good.

 

There are of course valid reasons why he had to go in the end but I just feel that Rodgers appears to be getting away with a lot more than other managers, particularly in the media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

There's no scenario where a draw will get it done, unless you mean West Ham beating Man U..  Which, if we're honest, seems pretty unlikely.

 

I like the back 3 as an option, but with Soyuncu out I just don't think it's viable against United.  I'd use a traditional back four with Evans and Wes in the middle, try and build through the midfield and hope for the best.

 

When we had Justin and Cags either side of Evans I thought it had great potential, the counter attacks were swiftly extinguished. It is a patchwork either way, let's hope BR gets it right because we have to start well.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it Benko is not available despite his loan terminating i.e. not listed in our EPL squad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes in retrospect you're absolutely right to pick me up on that. If we could be unanimous about anything possibly, it would be that we're never unanimous on here usually with the very odd exception like the one you pointed out. In fact we all just give our own opinions, all of which whether we agree or disagree, are equally as valid on a forum as I suppose that's a main point of one really. 

 

Secondly, I in no way meant to belittle the work of NP, on the contrary, I'm a big fan and fully recognise the job he did here in sometimes difficult circumstances. I'm very disappointed in fact about the Watford debacle, whatever that's about as I really wanted both him and Shakespeare to succeed. 

 

I suppose what I was clumsily trying to say was that sometimes, compared with other managers, Rodgers appears to me to be given a lot more benefit of the doubt due to in my opinion, media bias, pleasant personality and clever speak as opposed to pure footballing reasons. In stark contrast, we had Puel who came into the club without the benefit of the talented squad that Rodgers inherited, with huge off field problems to solve that again Rodgers didn't have, in his tenure recruited some of our more talented prospects of recent transfer windows as well as bringing some of our own young talent through yet, when results didn't go his way, to me, the protest against him was far more vociferous. In fairness he didn't actually curry any favour with his public however due to his dour interviews, some due to language skills admittedly, and his alleged poor man management style. However, did he get a fair media coverage before he even got here notwithstanding that his previous management record was for me at least, far in advance of the media hyped Rodgers? I don't think personally, from some of what I saw on here, he was even given a chance from the start and some just wanted him out even when results were good.

 

There are of course valid reasons why he had to go in the end but I just feel that Rodgers appears to be getting away with a lot more than other managers, particularly in the media.

I agree with an awful lot of that. I only mentioned Pearson, because so many people here (myself included) have the highest regard for him in so many ways. I stop short of wanting him back, because then I fall into the trap of looking back fondly like I might (and occasionally do) about an ex - we choose to remember the good/bad stuff to fit, and this validates your point about Puel all the more.

 

I didn't think you were belittling Pearson for one moment - I simply picked the one manager from our recent past who divides opinion the most now. Puel did not engage me, and results eventually spoke for themselves, but I agree that he was behind the 8 ball from the off (rightly or wrongly). Having said that, early on in his tenure we had a glimpse of what might be possible. Rodgers has found more of that for longer - long enough that we'll probably finish 5th - and if it weren't for the lop-sided manner of it, I think it would be hard to find fault with. Except of course, people would be saying 'if only we'd not let that late goal in against FC Irrelevant in mid-October, we'd have finished 4th' or some such tiresome if/but/whatabout.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a paradox in our team selection. If we set up positively, and aim to possess the ball, press high and pin United deep we are susceptible to Tottenham like counterattacks. Our centerbacks are slow, our fullbacks get forward, and we only have ndidi as a defensive midfielder.

 

On the other hand, last time against united we were too negative. Whenever we try to play two defensive midfielders, sit deep and defend we eventually concede. We're one VAR decision away from going behind and then that game plan is out the window. The other thing is that it we sit back, United could pass the ball around forever because they'll advance with a draw, assuming they get a point today vs West Ham.

 

So all that said, we have to just go for it. We have no choice. Rodgers know that. Solskjær knows that. We will set up to attack and it will be a game of who concedes first. If we manage the first goal, maybe we can sit deeper and try through balls to Vardy to finish the game off. But if we concede first, it could get ugly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I think I would revert to our tried and tested 4-3-3 for this...

 

Kasper

JJ Morgan Evans Thomas

Hamza Youri Wilf

Perez Vards Barnes

 

Shame for Nacho, but I think this leaves us more balanced. 

After the last few games and how Perez has shown how much better he is centrally he has to start centrally for me. Nacho and vards and then use barnes as an impact sub to run at there centre backs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where has the Hamza is a walking red card notion come from?

He's been sent off once? and it wasn't even a straight red.

 

Play him until he gets booked then bring on Mendy to do the job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

There's a paradox in our team selection. If we set up positively, and aim to possess the ball, press high and pin United deep we are susceptible to Tottenham like counterattacks. Our centerbacks are slow, our fullbacks get forward, and we only have ndidi as a defensive midfielder.

 

On the other hand, last time against united we were too negative. Whenever we try to play two defensive midfielders, sit deep and defend we eventually concede. We're one VAR decision away from going behind and then that game plan is out the window. The other thing is that it we sit back, United could pass the ball around forever because they'll advance with a draw, assuming they get a point today vs West Ham.

 

So all that said, we have to just go for it. We have no choice. Rodgers know that. Solskjær knows that. We will set up to attack and it will be a game of who concedes first. If we manage the first goal, maybe we can sit deeper and try through balls to Vardy to finish the game off. But if we concede first, it could get ugly.

 

 

Could always have Albrighton and Thomas down the left to double up on defending and attacking. I genuinely can't come up with a system for Sunday with the players available that i'm happy with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                      Kasper 

          Evans, Morgan, Justin 

Thomas                           Albrighton 

               Wilf Yori hamza 

                 Barnes Vardy 

 

Give Yori a free role sit hamza on Fernandes and pump balls over the top for Barnes and Vardy to latch on to. Justin in the back 3 to add some pace. 

 

Think I'm right in saying we haven't conceded a goal in the league at home since lock down. We just need to give 100% all over and what will be will be. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

                      Kasper 

          Evans, Morgan, Justin 

Thomas                           Albrighton 

               Wilf Yori hamza 

                 Barnes Vardy 

 

Give Yori a free role sit hamza on Fernandes and pump balls over the top for Barnes and Vardy to latch on to. Justin in the back 3 to add some pace. 

 

Think I'm right in saying we haven't conceded a goal in the league at home since lock down. We just need to give 100% all over and what will be will be. 

 

That's not a bad idea. Though I'd rather have thomas on his natural left foot, justin at RCB, and Albrighton at RWB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

That's not a bad idea. Though I'd rather have thomas on his natural left foot, justin at RCB, and Albrighton at RWB. 

Yeah agreed but you get my jist :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to win a game of this magnitude against a team that's dominated not only English football but European football in the past 30 years, you have to set up and play to your strengths...... Currently we have none, so all we can do is park the bus, hope to frustrate them, hoof the ball up field, hope vardy has the game of his life or De Gea and Maguire the worst or theirs. Bring on the Rooster for the last 10 minutes and 🙏 for a result. :scarf: keep the faith, blue army till I die and all that.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, LCFCJ said:

After the last few games and how Perez has shown how much better he is centrally he has to start centrally for me. Nacho and vards and then use barnes as an impact sub to run at there centre backs. 

I don't know, after seeing how their match against Arsenal went, I think Barnes pace will be a real asset to us in this match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Yeah agreed but you get my jist :)

For sure. The thing we'll struggle with us their pace on the counter. I'd rather have Justin at RCB than Bennett.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/07/2020 at 10:46, Ricey said:

I've been the opposite in a weird way. I think because everything else has stopped and there's not a lot else going on at the minute there is no distraction from football. I don't have my usual releases, so I've found that my frustration at football is amplified and I can't escape from it. I'd say the way I felt after Brighton, Chelsea, Bournemouth and Spurs is up there with the angriest I've felt after football. Normally I can pretty much brush it off after an hour or so, but in lockdown it sticks around for a couple of days.

 

I can't wait for it all to be over with to be honest and go back to the bliss of not being angry about things like substitutions, high lines, VAR, handballs and Dominic ****ing Solanke.

I'm with @Ricey(and hope the original poster doesn't feel the way he does because it has been REALLY bad for them personally/too close to home)

 

I'm well stressed. Managed to calm down last 2 days and doing alright so far today but come tonight I know it will all start again and won't stop until all this is over. 

 

Then we can stress about transfers with outcome having it's own stresses and excitements. 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

There's a paradox in our team selection. If we set up positively, and aim to possess the ball, press high and pin United deep we are susceptible to Tottenham like counterattacks. Our centerbacks are slow, our fullbacks get forward, and we only have ndidi as a defensive midfielder.

 

On the other hand, last time against united we were too negative. Whenever we try to play two defensive midfielders, sit deep and defend we eventually concede. We're one VAR decision away from going behind and then that game plan is out the window. The other thing is that it we sit back, United could pass the ball around forever because they'll advance with a draw, assuming they get a point today vs West Ham.

 

So all that said, we have to just go for it. We have no choice. Rodgers know that. Solskjær knows that. We will set up to attack and it will be a game of who concedes first. If we manage the first goal, maybe we can sit deeper and try through balls to Vardy to finish the game off. But if we concede first, it could get ugly.

 

 

Yes it's a difficult call but for me, the three at the back is an absolute no no. This is not because I don't think that the formation issue necessarily a bad one for some occasions but more the three cente halves we have available to fill those positions. For me, to field Bennett at all would be the waste of a man. Evans and Morgan are better and I'd have another midfielder to protect the defence. Ndidi picks himself but he is possibly of more use winning the ball further up the pitch. In which case, although I don't personally see him as an out and out defensive midfielder,  I think the energy, mobility and tackling ability of Hamza could be a better asset. Mendy could also fulfil a role as he's very neat any rarely gives the ball away. Praet would also be a better option than Bennett I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

There's a paradox in our team selection. If we set up positively, and aim to possess the ball, press high and pin United deep we are susceptible to Tottenham like counterattacks. Our centerbacks are slow, our fullbacks get forward, and we only have ndidi as a defensive midfielder.

 

On the other hand, last time against united we were too negative. Whenever we try to play two defensive midfielders, sit deep and defend we eventually concede. We're one VAR decision away from going behind and then that game plan is out the window. The other thing is that it we sit back, United could pass the ball around forever because they'll advance with a draw, assuming they get a point today vs West Ham.

 

So all that said, we have to just go for it. We have no choice. Rodgers know that. Solskjær knows that. We will set up to attack and it will be a game of who concedes first. If we manage the first goal, maybe we can sit deeper and try through balls to Vardy to finish the game off. But if we concede first, it could get ugly.

 

 

There is another option which is to set up to counter attack.

meaning we cede possession but are ready to burst forward like a coiled spring once their attacks break down and their shape is AWOL.

This is not negative but it also keeps us more defensively solid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

There is another option which is to set up to counter attack.

meaning we cede possession but are ready to burst forward like a coiled spring once their attacks break down and their shape is AWOL.

This is not negative but it also keeps us more defensively solid.

 

As if such a far fetched ,fanciful approach could ever succeed :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

Brendan will try to go toe to toe with them and we'll get blown away in the first half. Sad but true :(

I think so . I love that so many on the board are hopeful if not confident - I don’t think I’ve ever felt so lacking in expectation about the outcome - the whole Man U bias in officiating and the lack of a settled side or even a style of playing will doom us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...