Jump to content
Harrydc

Will facemasks change the way you shop?

Will facemasks change the way you shop?   

103 members have voted

  1. 1. Will facemasks change the way you shop?

    • Yes
      35
    • No
      68


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

There are other delivery companies.  Most of my stuff comes from DPD or Hermes.  Very little on Royal Mail.

DHL

WHITE ARROW

UPS

AMAZON

PARCEL FORCE

 

Etc.

 

I'm well aware of the competition, thanks :rolleyes:

 

None of these have rounds of 500-700 houses attached to them expecting letters to also be delivered, which Royal Mail are legally required to do on a daily basis. Which is where Royal Mail is losing money. They need to remodel big time, but without a level playing field, weighed down by the universal service (a parcel/letter from Oadby to Braunstone costs the same as one from Tresco to Lerwick) RM is hampered. Our competitors for instance don't do regular deliveries to the Outer Hebredies or the Scillies, or they will take them so far and then pay RM to finish the job. The number of times I deliver packets with "delivered by DHL" or covered in DPD branding with a tiny RM barcode somewhere on it, makes my blood boil.

 

If your regular courier is Hermes though, you have my condolences. I won't tarnish every Hermes driver, I know a very good one in fact, but since they pay peanuts, they frequently recruit monkeys.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, don_danbury said:

has anyone today been into a shop without one and been served? 

Yes, although it was at 8 this morning and there was only  one other person in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, don_danbury said:

has anyone today been into a shop without one and been served? 

Yes, my other half nipped out earlier and completely forgot. Everyone else was wearing one, but he had no issues being served. It was a local Tesco express 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I hate it I'm gonna buy a visor I think 

There was a study done in an alpine hotel where some staff wore masks and others visors. None of the staff who wore masks contracted the virus. All the staff who wore visors did!  The visor protects your eyes only. It doesn’t really stop you spreading the virus if you have it and it definitely doesn’t stop you breathing in the virus. 
 

im afraid that the visor is better than nothing but doesn’t really protect you or others as much as a mask does.

 

incidentally, all of you who are concerned about wearing a mask - you do realise that when we are allowed back into grounds, you will have to wear a mask !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

DHL

WHITE ARROW

UPS

AMAZON

PARCEL FORCE

 

Etc.

 

I'm well aware of the competition, thanks :rolleyes:

 

None of these have rounds of 500-700 houses attached to them expecting letters to also be delivered, which Royal Mail are legally required to do on a daily basis. Which is where Royal Mail is losing money. They need to remodel big time, but without a level playing field, weighed down by the universal service (a parcel/letter from Oadby to Braunstone costs the same as one from Tresco to Lerwick) RM is hampered. Our competitors for instance don't do regular deliveries to the Outer Hebredies or the Scillies, or they will take them so far and then pay RM to finish the job. The number of times I deliver packets with "delivered by DHL" or covered in DPD branding with a tiny RM barcode somewhere on it, makes my blood boil.

 

If your regular courier is Hermes though, you have my condolences. I won't tarnish every Hermes driver, I know a very good one in fact, but since they pay peanuts, they frequently recruit monkeys.

Hermes have let us down so often recently. Failed delivery to someone we sold an item to cost us as there was no proof of delivery even though they said it had been signed for. Item was never found, maybe the driver is using it for aerial photography which is what we had sold it for in the first place . We don't receive items that they say have been delivered. And if you're out when they deliver, well God only knows where your package goes.

It's a shame that RM struggle to compete but then, years of underfunding, union interference in progress and the failure by senior management to see the army coming over the hill has seriously contributed to the RM position in the logistics world now. (IMO  BTW).

For the record, when I get a package delivered by RM I feel a sense of gratitude that they've brought it to my house because I'm of a generation where the RM was very special and well, ROYAL, as if the Queen herself had arranged delivery. If I can, I will send by RM every time. 

 

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people assume it only applies to supermarkets and the bigger convenience stores, not your local "offy". Our local off-licence the shopkeeper has been wearing a mask for weeks as well as putting a Perspex screen up.

Interesting point raised on R2 earlier today; if you go to a petrol station that includes a convenience store and you enter without a mask having put £40 of fuel in your car, are they going to turn you away? I think not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t see the issue. If you don’t want to wear a mask, fine. Stay at home. Regardless of how long it has taken the gov’t to change its tune, what difference does that really make now? People kicking off about it, ‘well that’s me ordering online then!’ ‘Bollocks to that! I’m not wearing a mask!’ ‘So after so long without wearing one now I have to wear one! No chance!’ 
 

Don’t wear one! But expect to be challenged about it, whether that’s right or wrong. I just don’t understand why people are so opposed to doing it. Even if it saves a single life. 
 

It won’t be forever ffs. 
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

That would make sense if there wasn't still hundreds dying and dire warnings of a second peak in winter. Just because we've dropped the ball yesterday doesn't mean we can't pick it back up ready for tomorrow. 

Completely agree, I just thought the joke was good/appropriate/made me laugh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Someone might've already said it, but introducing masks in shops now is like bringing condoms to a baby shower. 

 

Yes I've stolen that from somewhere else, I'm not that smart. 

 

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

That would make sense if there wasn't still hundreds dying and dire warnings of a second peak in winter. Just because we've dropped the ball yesterday doesn't mean we can't pick it back up ready for tomorrow. 

The point is that we’ve now relaxed most restrictions and the virus will now being to circulate more as a consequence. So introducing masks now does actually make some sense......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

DHL

WHITE ARROW

UPS

AMAZON

PARCEL FORCE

 

Etc.

 

I'm well aware of the competition, thanks :rolleyes:

 

None of these have rounds of 500-700 houses attached to them expecting letters to also be delivered, which Royal Mail are legally required to do on a daily basis. Which is where Royal Mail is losing money. They need to remodel big time, but without a level playing field, weighed down by the universal service (a parcel/letter from Oadby to Braunstone costs the same as one from Tresco to Lerwick) RM is hampered. Our competitors for instance don't do regular deliveries to the Outer Hebredies or the Scillies, or they will take them so far and then pay RM to finish the job. The number of times I deliver packets with "delivered by DHL" or covered in DPD branding with a tiny RM barcode somewhere on it, makes my blood boil.

 

If your regular courier is Hermes though, you have my condolences. I won't tarnish every Hermes driver, I know a very good one in fact, but since they pay peanuts, they frequently recruit monkeys.

 

Mmmmmm.  Our gin club membership has just shifted from RM to Hermes.  They've stated that they've done so because RMs delivery network is not designed for packages of over 2.5kg.  Is this likely a white lie?  It's a shame because RM always deliver our gin on time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

 

Mmmmmm.  Our gin club membership has just shifted from RM to Hermes.  They've stated that they've done so because RMs delivery network is not designed for packages of over 2.5kg.  Is this likely a white lie?  It's a shame because RM always deliver our gin on time.  

Seriously? I've delivered bicycles, crates of booze and on one occasion several large sacks of animal feed.

 

I wish we were limited to 2.5kg. That would be a dream!

 

All posties' rounds are divided up into manageable bags, which was fine until the pandemic. You take your bag out, go up that street, come back down, in and out the closes, maybe into another small road. Every day I now have to change where I park to half way along each bag and do it as two bags, one going one way, then pick up a second to do the other half, instead of the normal one bag. On most days now I have a couple of bags where I've divided them into three (they could be done as two, but they'd be either very heavy, or more likely, very bulky.)

 

It's the small jiffy bag packets that are killing it. The kind of thing the other courier services don't touch. Years ago you'd have a bundle in your hand, it would be a hundred or more letters for 40 houses. You'd have three or four bundles in your bag for just over 100 houses. Now a bundle in your hand is a few letters, brochures and eight jiffy bags for six houses and again, that might be three or four bundles in your bag, plus parcels, you might be only able to fit 40-50 houses' post in your bag.

 

The problems are obvious, but RM seem to have their head in the sand. :(

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

 

Mmmmmm.  Our gin club membership has just shifted from RM to Hermes.  They've stated that they've done so because RMs delivery network is not designed for packages of over 2.5kg.  Is this likely a white lie?  It's a shame because RM always deliver our gin on time.  

If you're using Hermes to deliver gin then expect lots of bottles delivered (thrown) over your fence. I believe they only get paid for delivered items hence their reputation for leaving it anywhere. I once had a surround sound system delivered by them, they left it on top of my wheelie bin in the rain. RM, DPD, Amazon all miles better than Hermes imo

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was working today in my chip shop job, and was extremely busy, as it usually is on a Friday evening. 

 

A man with a mask on said to me "do you know you're breaking the law by not confronting these people for not wearing a mask?" ... 

 

I politely replied that firstly, it is not my job to ask people to wear a mask. We do not have to police it. Secondly, some people may not be medically or mentally able to wear one. He then proceeds to tell me to ask them for a "medical pass". 

 

I'm seriously not paid enough for this boll***s. lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

So I was working today in my chip shop job, and was extremely busy, as it usually is on a Friday evening. 

 

A man with a mask on said to me "do you know you're breaking the law by not confronting these people for not wearing a mask?" ... 

 

I politely replied that firstly, it is not my job to ask people to wear a mask. We do not have to police it. Secondly, some people may not be medically or mentally able to wear one. He then proceeds to tell me to ask them for a "medical pass". 

 

I'm seriously not paid enough for this boll***s. lol

I'd have scraped out some belly button cheese and sprinkled it on his chips when he wasn't looking

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I'd have scraped out some belly button cheese and sprinkled it on his chips when he wasn't looking

Don't even tempt me. The rules on the government website literally says its not to be enforced by shop assistants. I seriously don't have it in me to confront people so why should I?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

So I was working today in my chip shop job, and was extremely busy, as it usually is on a Friday evening. 

 

A man with a mask on said to me "do you know you're breaking the law by not confronting these people for not wearing a mask?" ... 

 

I politely replied that firstly, it is not my job to ask people to wear a mask. We do not have to police it. Secondly, some people may not be medically or mentally able to wear one. He then proceeds to tell me to ask them for a "medical pass". 

 

I'm seriously not paid enough for this boll***s. lol

wear a mask or no chips bro. that'll tell em

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Don't even tempt me. The rules on the government website literally says its not to be enforced by shop assistants. I seriously don't have it in me to confront people so why should I?

Yep it's pointless trying to deal with some people - the bloke would have been pissed off whatever you said to him. I used to work in a supermarket and you'd get the odd idiot start an argument over absolutely nothing, I think they just have nothing better to do most of the time

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...