Jump to content

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I like the use of the Palace stat.....the division had 22 teams in it then.....

You're right, but, it works out as 44 points over a 38 game season, so still comfortably the record for a relegated PL club, beating West Ham's 42 and better than our 2020 form which was really the point I was making. 

 

 

Edited by murphy
Link to post
Share on other sites

The end to last season was really bad. But United went through a spell similar to ours at the start of last season - they had 21 points after 15 games and no one really talks about them being inconsistent. 

 

The facts are that no team in this league bar Liverpool and Man City were consistent or have been over the last 3 seasons. Every other club has gone through patches of good or bad form and it will likely be the same this season. Our bad patch was too long and a real fall from grace but we still ended up having it in our own hands come the final game of the season. 

 

I'm not too concerned about it carrying over as I believe we have a top quality squad here and that in itself should balance us to a decent position over the course of the season. Think we all thought we'd get champions league last season, so it's caused a chain reaction amongst us that there could be an almighty dip that could see us get relegated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Cast iron facts?

Which metrics have we been 20th? 
points gained? Goals scored? Goals conceded? Big chances created? 
No, No, No, No, No

 

If the league started on January 1st, we would be 13th, not great, but securely mid table.

We are 8th for goals scored

And 7th for goals conceded (joint with Liverpool)

We have a positive goal difference for 2020, which is better than the likes of Sheff United, Everton and Burnley.

 

Our 2020 wasn’t nearly as bad as some on here make it out to be. 

5 wins, 5 draws and 8 defeats.


It wasn’t great, and I’m not here saying everything is roses, but if you want to talk cast iron facts - we were not even close to 20th or the bottom 3 on any metric.

Get away with you with your facts, balance and reason. There’s no place for the those things here. X 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

 

Pretty funny from PaddyPower. Especially Curbs with his jeans dig. 

Paddy Power are brilliant at times. I watched Soccer Saturday briefly yesterday and the new guys are there are awful, Tim Sherwood has the same personality as a plank of wood! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I don't care how annoying some of their fans are, I'm going to enjoy the shit out of watching Leeds this year. They were amazing to watch against Liverpool. When Cooper is back and Koch adjusts to their system as well, they should also improve defensively.

 

Harrison's goal was just pure sex.

Forward playing, attacking, expansive football? Exciting to watch? I'm not sure about that,

 

They'll have to be far more passive to gain any plaudits of their play in this age of modern football.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I don't care how annoying some of their fans are, I'm going to enjoy the shit out of watching Leeds this year. They were amazing to watch against Liverpool. When Cooper is back and Koch adjusts to their system as well, they should also improve defensively.

 

Harrison's goal was just pure sex.

Pretty sure I remember the same thing being said about Norwich at the start of last season 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wrighty22 said:

Paddy Power are brilliant at times. I watched Soccer Saturday briefly yesterday and the new guys are there are awful, Tim Sherwood has the same personality as a plank of wood! 

Paddy Power understands its audience far more than tv producers do now

 

they always do good adverts.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Pretty sure I remember the same thing being said about Norwich at the start of last season 

 

Yep. Everyone was creaming when they beat Man City in September. Let's see how they're still doing 28 games onwards. They might have burnt out, they might actually just end up being crap.

 

They deserve the credit for the performance yesterday, but the natural overreaction that they'll be like that for every minute of every game, thus being insatiable to watch is quite the leap.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

From January onwards, we have been 20th in pretty much every metric. With absolutely nothing to freshen that up, I dont see what will change.

 

Just a few months back, we lost 4-1, yes 4-1! to ****ing Bournemouth, Solanke scored not 1 but 2 goals! 

 

We have been mediocre at best for the whole of 2020. People can pull faces all they like, but it's a cast iron fact.

 

I hope it changes.

We've been 20th in pretty much no metrics.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Cast iron facts?

Which metrics have we been 20th? 
points gained? Goals scored? Goals conceded? Big chances created? 
No, No, No, No, No

 

If the league started on January 1st, we would be 13th, not great, but securely mid table.

We are 8th for goals scored

And 7th for goals conceded (joint with Liverpool)

We have a positive goal difference for 2020, which is better than the likes of Sheff United, Everton and Burnley.

 

Our 2020 wasn’t nearly as bad as some on here make it out to be. 

5 wins, 5 draws and 8 defeats.


It wasn’t great, and I’m not here saying everything is roses, but if you want to talk cast iron facts - we were not even close to 20th or the bottom 3 on any metric.

Is that fair on @Foxin_Mad?  You have used facts to destroy a rudderless rant.  If we all used facts, threads on here would be very short.

 

Well put.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Cast iron facts?

Which metrics have we been 20th? 
points gained? Goals scored? Goals conceded? Big chances created? 
No, No, No, No, No

 

If the league started on January 1st, we would be 13th, not great, but securely mid table.

We are 8th for goals scored

And 7th for goals conceded (joint with Liverpool)

We have a positive goal difference for 2020, which is better than the likes of Sheff United, Everton and Burnley.

 

Our 2020 wasn’t nearly as bad as some on here make it out to be. 

5 wins, 5 draws and 8 defeats.


It wasn’t great, and I’m not here saying everything is roses, but if you want to talk cast iron facts - we were not even close to 20th or the bottom 3 on any metric.

Well put :appl:

 

The mire we found ourselves in was quite bad but I think it's accentuated by the fact we know we could play better! It was bad to watch because we expected better with the players we had. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shailen said:

The end to last season was really bad. But United went through a spell similar to ours at the start of last season - they had 21 points after 15 games and no one really talks about them being inconsistent. 

 

The facts are that no team in this league bar Liverpool and Man City were consistent or have been over the last 3 seasons. Every other club has gone through patches of good or bad form and it will likely be the same this season. Our bad patch was too long and a real fall from grace but we still ended up having it in our own hands come the final game of the season. 

 

I'm not too concerned about it carrying over as I believe we have a top quality squad here and that in itself should balance us to a decent position over the course of the season. Think we all thought we'd get champions league last season, so it's caused a chain reaction amongst us that there could be an almighty dip that could see us get relegated. 

It really is important that the squad shake off the awful second half of last season and get close to the start of last season. Something in between would be very acceptable.

 

However, we must be wary that other teams are doing their homework and recruiting and improving. For me, the Top 4 this year is a closed shop. Then it's for Arsenal, Tottenham, Wolves, us, Everton, maybe Southampton (surprise result for me yesterday), Newcastle at a push to scrap for 5th and 6th. Not sure if anyone else could challenge and spring another surprise like Sheff Utd last year.

 

Beyond the Top 4 it could be a very interesting season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Cast iron facts?

Which metrics have we been 20th? 
points gained? Goals scored? Goals conceded? Big chances created? 
No, No, No, No, No

 

If the league started on January 1st, we would be 13th, not great, but securely mid table.

We are 8th for goals scored

And 7th for goals conceded (joint with Liverpool)

We have a positive goal difference for 2020, which is better than the likes of Sheff United, Everton and Burnley.

 

Our 2020 wasn’t nearly as bad as some on here make it out to be. 

5 wins, 5 draws and 8 defeats.


It wasn’t great, and I’m not here saying everything is roses, but if you want to talk cast iron facts - we were not even close to 20th or the bottom 3 on any metric.

Ok maybe a slight exaggeration but I watch us every game, we were ****ing tragic for most of 2020. We scraped wins against Birmingham and Wigan FFS!

 

We were saved from by 20th in every metric by a small group of teams being even shitter than us! Norwich, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford, Villa and Palace were tragic towards the end of last season. We failed to beat 3 of those teams in our run in and got absolutely spanked by one! Norwich were one of the most inept teams I have ever seen in the Premier League yet we could not beat them.

 

I honestly hope we improve but I am not sure that a right back is going to bring that extra inspiration on how to play a forward pass, or deliver a half decent final ball to our striker who got the majority of his 24 goals before Christmas. If Vardy and on occasion Nacho aint scoring, then we aint scoring our midfield had an absolutely woeful goal tally, as did most of our defence.

Edited by Foxin_Mad
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Where are these stats? Because I would genuinely like to see them 

In the post lockdown table we are level with Villa on 9pts GD -4.

 

Only Watford, Bournemouth, Norwich and Palace were in fact 'even shitter' than us and three of those were relegated.

 

 

Edited by murphy
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Where are these stats? Because I would genuinely like to see them 

Look at the form table maybe. We were 13th I believe.

 

The Premier League must have been pretty hopeless last year. I find it hard to believe a team winning 4 games in 2020 could be that far up. Norwich and Bournemouth were tragic, both of who we lost to, one of them 4-1, we also drew to Watford. The stats certainly dont show a good side that's for sure, after lock down it was even worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We weren’t ‘spanked’ by Bournemouth- we committed footballing ‘suicide’.  I can’t recall ever seeing a game switch over in the second period like that one did. If it had been a boxing match they would have stopped it at half time ....

 

our mentality is the big problem - unable to see out five minutes at Watford was unbelievable. we have enough quality to win today but do we have the mindset if something goes against us ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Bear said:

 

Pretty funny from PaddyPower. Especially Curbs with his jeans dig. 

To be fair that's the best acting from an ex-professional from Curbishley I have ever seen on an advert! Top work!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Look at the form table maybe. We were 13th I believe.

 

The Premier League must have been pretty hopeless last year. I find it hard to believe a team winning 4 games in 2020 could be that far up. Norwich and Bournemouth were tragic, both of who we lost to, one of them 4-1, we also drew to Watford. The stats certainly dont show a good side that's for sure, after lock down it was even worse.

I’m not trying to have a dig at you, You said since January we was pretty much 20th in every metric, I was just wondering where these stats was that back up what you was saying, I can only find stats that cover the entire season 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We weren’t ‘spanked’ by Bournemouth- we committed footballing ‘suicide’.  I can’t recall ever seeing a game switch over in the second period like that one did. If it had been a boxing match they would have stopped it at half time ....

 

our mentality is the big problem - unable to see out five minutes at Watford was unbelievable. we have enough quality to win today but do we have the mindset if something goes against us ???

Mentality is a big problem, We also lack that physical presence in midfield which makes it easy for teams to get at us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...