urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Even if the technology is highly accurate, the fact the most important part (drawing the lines) is still manual input and open to human error/interpretation, there isn’t really a benefit for calls that close. You might as well stick with the onfield decision.

Yes. If they want to digitise offside decisions they need to go the whole way by using something like GPS to compare players' positions.

• Like 1

Sometimes I love VAR. 

But in all seriousness, if they need to take over 30 seconds to make the decision it should just go back to the original decision. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Unless I've got this wrong, Carragher seemed to get Cash's involvement completely incorrect. I thought you had to touch it and then it was decided if it was deliberate such as a back pass or an attempt to block a cross. If he doesn't touch the ball it is irrelevant?

I don’t understand why that touch matters.

If Jota is inside, makes no difference. If Jota is offside, it makes no difference?

Edited by Criggers
6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

These lines are bollocks, 18 months on I still don't know if it's done manually or by technology, nor if the technology (frame rates etc.) are even accurate down to the millisecond etc.

It's just a mess.

exactly surely they can make a sensor in the ball or camera track to get a instant decision generated by the computer

1 minute ago, Criggers said:

I don’t understand why that touch matters.

If Jota is inside, makes no difference. If Jota is offside, it makes no difference?

I don’t care. All I want is Liverpool to get thumped. Klopp’s fake teeth to fly out in the post match interview and one less team to be overly concerned about. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Carragher seemed to be suggesting that the intent to touch the ball was enough to rule out offside.

I've never seen it interpreted like that and put the suggestion down to Carragher being

a) Scouse

and

b) a git.

Yeah, I thought it sounded odd. Never heard intent when missing the ball as a defender as a reason for a decision before.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It helps us but Jesus, that decision is a disgrace.

They need to get rid starting next season - there's absolutely no way you can go on like this. That they have for nearly two years is unbelievable.

Nothing wrong with the 'decision'. The 'measurement methodology' is the problem

Wondering why, unlike last night's decision, this one doesn't get called 'corrupt'. Would really help if you explained the criteria

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Even if the technology is highly accurate, the fact the most important part (drawing the lines) is still manual input and open to human error/interpretation, there isn’t really a benefit for calls that close. You might as well stick with the onfield decision.

i don't understand why they drew one line on the defenders hand and the other above the attackers elbow, or are the literally drawing the lines based on a long sleeve vs short sleeve?!

7 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Carragher seemed to be suggesting that the intent to touch the ball was enough to rule out offside.

I've never seen it interpreted like that and put the suggestion down to Carragher being

a) Scouse

and

b) a git.

Its enough to make you spit (Well, it would if you were a souse or Carragher). 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, turlo said:

i don't understand why they drew one line on the defenders hand and the other above the attackers elbow, or are the literally drawing the lines based on a long sleeve vs short sleeve?!

If that is the case I could see football strips being sleeveless like the Cameroon one a few years back. 

8 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

a) Scouse

and

b) a git.

'Git' is a much underused word, good work Vaca.

Nowt wrong with VAR ..  he was offside and VAR quite rightly said so.  There are far more important things that need sorting out in football than VAR ...  like mixing in bloody reports on girls football with proper match reports ..   absolute fookin disgrace !!!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Nowt wrong with VAR ..  he was offside and VAR quite rightly said so.  There are far more important things that need sorting out in football than VAR ...  like mixing in bloody reports on girls football with proper match reports ..   absolute fookin disgrace !!!

Massively frustrating. 

What I don’t understand is how other sports can use technology so effectively yet football is currently ****ing it right up

Football needs an equivalent of Umpires Call where of it isn’t ‘clear and obvious’ eg an offside decision which can’t be determined within 30 seconds it stays with the on-field decision.

In Rugby you can hear the conversations between the on field ref and video ref and between them they come to a human decision not some 0.000001mm computer says no bollocks 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Staffs Fox said:

What I don’t understand is how other sports can use technology so effectively yet football is currently ****ing it right up

Football needs an equivalent of Umpires Call where of it isn’t ‘clear and obvious’ eg an offside decision which can’t be determined within 30 seconds it stays with the on-field decision.

In Rugby you can hear the conversations between the on field ref and video ref and between them they come to a human decision not some 0.000001mm computer says no bollocks 

Can you think of examples in other sports where mm decisions are largely made by a human?