Well Arsenal are a case in point, theyve been ran very badly for at least a decade, yet havent finished lower than 8th and have been in a European final and won more trophies in that time than most clubs have in their history. They haven't spent much and when they have done it's generally been spent badly.

Most of that time they were being propped up by a top manager, but even after Wenger they've gotten worse without it really hurting much. They could afford to take a gamble on a rookie manager - what's genuinely the worst that might have happened under Arteta? 10th and no Europe for a season or two? As it happens he looks pretty decent and I expect them to finish higher than 8th next season.

Edited by ealingfox
10 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

This makes the redundancies even more ridiculous 

Absolutely appalling. I’m sorry but I just can’t abide Arsenal fans saying they’re a big club anymore. This is the business management of a non league setup made worse by the fact that these redundancies are completely avoidable. Then trying to justify putting people out on their arse because the team needs investment; they’ve lied to their fans and their players and should be punished harshly imo.

Edited by Crashtoasted
  • Like 1

0% chance any of Liverpool, Man City, United, Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal get relegated in the next decade, nevermind next couple of years.

All they have to do is hire a half decent manager and spend 50-60m in January and they'll be fine. I think Ole is a pretty poor manager, yet he's just guided United to 3rd.

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

0% chance any of Liverpool, Man City, United, Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal get relegated in the next decade, nevermind next couple of years.

All they have to do is hire a half decent manager and spend 50-60m in January and they'll be fine. I think Ole is a pretty poor manager, yet he's just guided United to 3rd.

I reckon arsenal could. Arteta is so unproven it’s impossible to say whether he is good or bad. Plus if they lose Aubameyang they could be in big trouble.

Just now, peach0000 said:

I reckon arsenal could. Arteta is so unproven it’s impossible to say whether he is good or bad. Plus if they lose Aubameyang they could be in big trouble.

We will see.

Auba will end up signing a new contract for big money, that's half my point, these clubs can just throw 250k a week at a player who regardless of who is the manager, will guarantee them goals or assists.

When Ozils contract is up next summer they'll have an extra 18m a year or so to spend, they'll be able to sign a class youngster for that or give 3 or 4 of their best players contract extensions.

I dont get this "Arsenal are ran badly" narrative at all, them and spurs are the only self sustaining top 6 club (Pool at a push tbf).In terms of recruitment you could argue, but no club has a consistent 3 decades of flawless recruitment. With the layoffs its unclear what jobs these lads did, I'd imagine the budget assigned to the off field jobs is completely removed from the football side, not defending it mind but the lack of clarity of when fans are allowed back in cant be a huge help to them either.

8 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

How could it happen? You're underestimating how utterly shite you need to be to go down. It would involve one of these clubs losing more than half their home games at least, and 20-odd games overall, it just wouldn't happen. The standard of player is such that they can be lazy, uninterested and under random strategy and management and they can still turn over most of the bottom half teams easily.

18 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

How could it happen? You're underestimating how utterly shite you need to be to go down. It would involve one of these clubs losing more than half their home games at least, and 20-odd games overall, it just wouldn't happen. The standard of player is such that they can be lazy, uninterested and under random strategy and management and they can still turn over most of the bottom half teams easily.

They have been getting worse season on season and that’s been with top managers. Now they have a completely inexperienced manager who no one knows whether will be any good or not. That with them losing their best players and recruiting poorly means that I feel it could happen. Nothing’s impossible in football. 

25 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I dont get this "Arsenal are ran badly" narrative at all, them and spurs are the only self sustaining top 6 club (Pool at a push tbf).In terms of recruitment you could argue, but no club has a consistent 3 decades of flawless recruitment. With the layoffs its unclear what jobs these lads did, I'd imagine the budget assigned to the off field jobs is completely removed from the football side, not defending it mind but the lack of clarity of when fans are allowed back in cant be a huge help to them either.

I think it comes from the narrative, around letting players like Nasri, Van Persie, Ramsey etc run down contracts and leaving on the cheap! 

I think they are actually ran well from a financial point of view, 2018/19 was the first time they have mad a loss since 2002.

Unfortunately for them their on field success hasn't been able to match their off field success. 

15 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

They have been getting worse season on season and that’s been with top managers. Now they have a completely inexperienced manager who no one knows whether will be any good or not. That with them losing their best players and recruiting poorly means that I feel it could happen. Nothing’s impossible in football. 

They had an experienced manager under Emery who was dogshit. Arteta has came in and undoubtedly improved them, Arsenal are an ownership change away from a title challenge but they won’t go down. The Milan clubs are a good example, they’ve been mismanaged from top to bottom over the last 10 years and mid table is the worst it ever got.

We’ve been close to relegation a few times and been on absolutely shocking runs on multiple occasions and still not dropped. You have to be seriously shit to go down, we’ve avoided it on player quality alone with far worse teams than Arsenal will ever descend to.

4 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Hopefully the drinks/tactical break gets scrapped also. 

Not to mention taking the knee, a minute's applause/silence at virtually every game, VAR, stopping the play needlessly when someone purports to have a head injury.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Premier league are to prohibit tv broadcasters from showing lines being drawn for offside 

they will only be permitted to broadcast the final decision 

This is what we call corruption.

3 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

That's shady as

3 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

This is what we call corruption.

They say They are following the lead of FIFA, UEFA and how it is conducted in other major leagues

Edited by jammie82uk
56 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

They say They are following the lead of FIFA, UEFA and how it is conducted in other major leagues

Two wrongs dont make a right. VAR is a farce

Edited by Fightforever
1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

Premier league are to prohibit tv broadcasters from showing lines being drawn for offside 

they will only be permitted to broadcast the final decision 

Haha surely not?! 

Just paves the way for them to do their dodgy shit easier to favour the bigger clubs.

The last few years , say since 2015 all the talk has been of arsenal being poor and Spurs being the top dog in north London. undoubtedly Arsenal have been poor but they have still won 2 FA Cups, whilst Spurs managed 13 minutes on top of the premier league.