Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

has pep ever signed a good defender>?

 

1. Laporte is fantastic. As is Dias, he'll become one of the best defenders in the league. It's a great signing. 

 

2. I know I pick some weird hills to die on but people really need to quit with this shit. I know it's not helped by the media propagating the myth but Pep is a coach, he coaches players. He tells the board roughly what he wants and they go and sign it. 

 

He doesn't scout players, he doesn't pick players, he doesn't sign players. Neither does Klopp, Ancelotti, Rodgers, Lampard, Arteta, Mourinho, Ole or anyone else. 

 

Pep will have a seat at the table alongside Begiristain, Cancellieri, all their respect staff, Al Mubarak and Co and he'll get to give an opinion and state some preferences but the idea that he picks all the players they sign and should be held accountable for them is daft. 

 

Same for every manager in the league. Even heads of recruitment like Walsh, Macia, Congerton at out club won't have complete ownership of transfers. It's a group process. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The problem isn't the players, it's the lack of direction for defensive minded players. 

 

This Twitter thread dissects the lack of defensive organization and puts it down to poor coaching.  Hard to argue.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

 

1. Laporte is fantastic. As is Dias, he'll become one of the best defenders in the league. It's a great signing. 

 

2. I know I pick some weird hills to die on but people really need to quit with this shit. I know it's not helped by the media propagating the myth but Pep is a coach, he coaches players. He tells the board roughly what he wants and they go and sign it. 

 

He doesn't scout players, he doesn't pick players, he doesn't sign players. Neither does Klopp, Ancelotti, Rodgers, Lampard, Arteta, Mourinho, Ole or anyone else. 

 

Pep will have a seat at the table alongside Begiristain, Cancellieri, all their respect staff, Al Mubarak and Co and he'll get to give an opinion and state some preferences but the idea that he picks all the players they sign and should be held accountable for them is daft. 

 

Same for every manager in the league. Even heads of recruitment like Walsh, Macia, Congerton at out club won't have complete ownership of transfers. It's a group process. 

Whilst you are correct in most of what you’re saying Pep would still be telling those in the group the type of player he wants, and for me too often he is looking for defenders who are comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass, rather than a defender who can actually defend. Exhibit A John Stones, very comfortable on the ball, can pick a pass.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

 

Is that Rodri (#16) about to be taken out of the game by a simple through ball from a team 'that didn't play'?

 

Is that the mighty, tiki taka, expansive Manchester City who play football 'in the right way' with 8 men behind the ball in the defensive third of the pitch? Yet 7 of them get taken out by one pass and then the keeper gets 'Cruyff dinked'?

 

Well I bloody never.

It is but we were lucky :whistle:

 

I have to say I've seen a lot of comments from Man City fans who have cringed at the statements from Rodri and Pep, calling them embarrassing and confirming the obvious that scoring 5 isn't lucky. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why can these people just not accept that they were out thought, out played and out classed by a team who just happen to be in great form. There was no luck about it. I think it was the snooker player John Parrott who once said, when accused of being a "lucky" player, that its funny how much luckier i get the more i practice or words to that effect.

It was obvious we had a game plan, one that we had practiced in training. Vardy said after the WBA game that he regualry practices his spot kicks, so on and so forth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

Villa signed Ross Barkley on a season loan from Chelsea, be interesting to see how he links up with Grealish. 
If they can make it work that could be a great signing for them.

That is an annoyingly good signing for them. They'll stay well clear of relegation this season 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent signing for Villa, must be paying a big chunk of his wages which won't be cheap. There is some decent players within the squads of the big clubs but there is no chance they'd loan any to us. 

 

I had to look up Barkleys age, couldn't believe he was still only 26. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, urban fox said:

Why can these people just not accept that they were out thought, out played and out classed by a team who just happen to be in great form. There was no luck about it. I think it was the snooker player John Parrott who once said, when accused of being a "lucky" player, that its funny how much luckier i get the more i practice or words to that effect.

It was obvious we had a game plan, one that we had practiced in training. Vardy said after the WBA game that he regualry practices his spot kicks, so on and so forth.

The original version came from Gary Player.......the more I practice the luckier I get.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit Villa have done some good business this window, including getting Grealish to sign a new deal. They could be a very different prospect to last season. If they have a good start, the stature of the club could see them push on as well.

 

I stopped hating them after O'Neill joined them so I wouldn't mind seeing them upset the so-called Big Six, along with Wolves and Everton, as long as none of them finish above us of course :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Barkley to Villa, really impressed with that. Wouldn't have minded him here but we don't really need him.

Helluva signing that.

 

I think Villa may just have turned into a half decent PL team for the first time in a good 8/9 years. Pity.

Edited by Paninistickers
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

 

I stopped hating them after O'Neill joined them so I wouldn't mind seeing them upset the so-called Big Six, along with Wolves and Everton, as long as none of them finish above us of course :P

No, just no. Horrid club, Grealish needs a slap and the rest of them aren't much better. Hope they're stuck with a relagation battle.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I have to admit Villa have done some good business this window, including getting Grealish to sign a new deal. They could be a very different prospect to last season. If they have a good start, the stature of the club could see them push on as well.

 

I stopped hating them after O'Neill joined them so I wouldn't mind seeing them upset the so-called Big Six, along with Wolves and Everton, as long as none of them finish above us of course :P

 No way are villa finishing anywhere near the top 6.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...