urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

8 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I reckon he'll be a Leicester player this time next year. At the right price it would make a lot of sense for us too with Big Wes retiring and Jonny Evans getting on. I'd see it as being very similar to when we signed Evans. 

Have a feeling Liverpool or Man City will go for him in January. Probably Liverpool.

2 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Salford won't pay the kind of wage he's been getting recently. He'd need to take a massive pay cut wherever he ends up. 

You are right! 

It would be Insanity for any club in any division to take on his salary. He was terrible at Villa & appeared to be horribly out of shape. I'm sure Chelsea would have taken any loan offer that assumed any part of his salary but it seems there wasn't much interest.

2 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

The guys a dinosaur, and just like dinosaurs people like this need to be extinct in the F.A. Just goes to show you can have all the pr in the world and all the diversity training but some people clearly will never change their attitudes or their way of thinking. It wasn’t just an unfortunate error it was deep rooted conditioning which needs to be eradicated. There needs to be more diversity and be more inclusive within the F.A.

As long as they're qualified and not given the job simply for diversity, then by all means sure.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Have to smile at the outcry of media attention for Liverpool's injuries, when we had just as many out at the same time and had literally 0 coverage 

The Gomez injury was actually reported on the BBC 6 o'clock news. I'm expecting a similar level of coverage on tonight's news if any of the Premier League leaders players get injured. 

6 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

The guys a dinosaur, and just like dinosaurs people like this need to be extinct in the F.A. Just goes to show you can have all the pr in the world and all the diversity training but some people clearly will never change their attitudes or their way of thinking. It wasn’t just an unfortunate error it was deep rooted conditioning which needs to be eradicated. There needs to be more diversity and be more inclusive within the F.A.

Be nice The FA went for someone with footballing background, like someone like a John Barnes.

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Both Luke Shaw and Ake suffering hamstring injuries in the past 24 hours. Shaw is confirmed to be out for around a month, no confirmed period for Ake yet.

Love how all the big team players getting injuries and struggling hits all the headlines and creates the "**** the scheduling" rhetoric 

They chose to sell Lovren, however disliked he was, which reduced their options. Rodgers did exactly the right thing in keeping Morgan and Fuchs around, plus moving JJ into the centre of a three.

Klopp is a world class manager, he'll find a way.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Corky said:

They chose to sell Lovren, however disliked he was, which reduced their options. Rodgers did exactly the right thing in keeping Morgan and Fuchs around, plus moving JJ into the centre of a three.

Klopp is a world class manager, he'll find a way.

Well theyll just go and spent 70mil on a central defender in January 

Somebody posted an article on here a few months ago that predicted Liverpool to be ravaged with injuries this season because they've basically been playing above a normal threshold for 2 years (Something to do with caffeine, no cheating or anything), I think it said that the club are more or less putting success above the players long term well being. At the time I dismissed it but it would be a bloody good read now lol - anyone got it? or know what I'm on about?

Cant wait for Vardy to score a hattrick against them. Can just see Klopp's interview. "Its not fair for us to be missing players. Look, Leicester, great team, great coach but they should've dropped more players today to make it fair. We cant have this continuing."

Get over it man, everyone has injuries and you've got to be creative in your approach to games this season. 

• Like 1

This thread proves what I said when PPV was announced, the plan would teach people how to use alternatives, and after that sky and co will be in trouble.

Haha when I wrote this reply was reading page 272, so apologies if the subject changed ages ago. :)

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Haha 1

We moved heaven and earth to get a 4th centre back this transfer window. Had to pay a big, big premium for him and the second choice would have been even more. Now we have one of the best young players in world football. That's because we have a club ran by people who are serious.

2 hours ago, ttfn said:

It’s incredible that Liverpool saw Manchester City’s defence fall apart last season after adopting a policy of having just 3 senior centre backs and having a Brazilian defensive midfielder fill in as an emergency option and thought they’d do exactly the same thing this year and they’d be fine.

Two of the many smart things Rodgers has done this season are a) to keep some fringe players around for another season to lessen the injury burden and b) to scale back the intensity of our play to accommodate the extra fixtures.

One of the key reasons for Liverpool wanting 5 subs is that their style of play - which Klopp seems understandably reluctant to compromise on - involves a ridiculously high level of intensity for 90 minutes. You can’t play like that twice a week for 8 months without people getting injured.

This is why I feel like Leicester and Spurs are dark horses for the title. We are a surprise because we've changed our style of play which is effective at grinding out results whilst keeping intensity of play down. That Wolves game might not go down as a classic, but grinding out a 1-0 win like that against a very good team could be pivotal come the end of the season. Spurs have that lethal front 3 but most importantly Mourinho who usually plays counter attacking / grindy football himself. It's kind of crazy saying this as it makes me feel like I've jumped into a time machine and it's 2016 all over again!

I have a feeling the eventual winners might just be the team that over the course of the season had the fewest injuries / covid positive tests to key players, and they sort of win it almost by default. Thing are already looking bad for Liverpool and even Man City to an extent, but I can see them having even more injuries come the end of January. 

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Surely there are free transfers available at the moment? 

I think they only have room in their PL squad for home grown additions  ... you can’t remove anyone once they’re registered in the 25. Even if they had a space would have to be a U.K. developed free agent 

One thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned much in the injury talk is missing pre-season.

You might not think it would cause that many issues but the NFL is similarly experiencing very high levels of injuries across the board too, and their fixtures are the same number over the same period of time. Not having pre-season has had a serious impact.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

One thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned much in the injury talk is missing pre-season.

You might not think it would cause that many issues but the NFL is similarly experiencing very high levels of injuries across the board too, and their fixtures are the same number over the same period of time. Not having pre-season has had a serious impact.

and missing a six week rest to re charge the batteries …..with the original lockdown and then the four week lead in to the restart the players are all putting their bodies through a regime that they never have before .