urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Like I said earlier, once the VAR official tells the ref to look at the monitor it is planting the seed of doubt into the ref's mind that he has got it wrong, even if he hasn't.

I don't have a problem with that on paper, I don't have a problem with the VAR fully making calls tbh. I've said loads of times before, the idea of the sanctity of the ref being some sort of divine ultimate power is stupid. Football is a team sport, that includes the officiating team

The VAR has a view to watch it from a zillion different angles in slow motion.

Ultimately the problem here isn't the VAR itself, it's the ridiculous interpretation of the rules. The idea that it's not a foul if a player gets an atom of their toe on the ball first or that it isn't a dive if an atom of a defender's boot scrapes an attacker, its stupid. But you can't say it's inconsistent, it's been like it for years because the league won't let refs make subjective common sense calls. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Peter Walton actually slagging off the var ! 

I'm normally critical that he seems to side with the referees regardless of the situation. However fair play to him, he's absolutely savaged the VAR and officiating in a very articulate and factual way tonight.

I think it’s time the fa scrapped var. it doesn’t work consistency and never will because of the human factor of officials looking at a monitor still being able to make a mistake. They tried it and it’s a failure, whatever anyone says. No one in the game wants it so why persist.

11 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

Var needs to go. It basically gives the same talking points you would get without it, I.e is it a penalty or isn’t it, but the flow of the game is gone and you can’t celebrate a goal properly anymore. 

Var needs to stay. Now when a penalty isn't given against man u, they can't say 'Well, his line of vision', or 'it's a split second thing'. Three sets of eyes reviewed it in slow motion from the perfect angle and cheat. And everyone is clear what happened. No excuses. Hopefully, eventually, the cheating will have to change.

• Like 2

I'm going to be consistent and say I didn't think the WBA pen shout was a pen. Very similar to the Villa one where there was clearly contact on the ball. However the United pen shouldn't have been given as there was a clear foul on Gallagher that lead to the penalty

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

The Solksjaer reign encapsulated. They're a slightly above average team with a below average manager, who's key player is VAR.

Who needs to be a semi decent manager when you have penalties every week eh.

Its so bloody obvious whats going on but we can prove nothing so just carry on with the farce. luckily i dont pay a single penny towards it this year, hurrah.

6 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I'm going to be consistent and say I didn't think the WBA pen shout was a pen. Very similar to the Villa one where there was clearly contact on the ball. However the United pen shouldn't have been given as there was a clear foul on Gallagher that lead to the penalty

That isn’t the point though - the ref thought both were pens and gave them 

there has to be unequivocal evidence that the ref has got it wrong for var to intervene - I could understand the villa intervention as March got a big touch on the ball.  It was understandable that the var asked Oliver if he saw the touch.  The West Brom review was ridiculous - it’s simply not a clear error to give the pen ......

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think it’s time the fa scrapped var. it doesn’t work consistency and never will because of the human factor of officials looking at a monitor still being able to make a mistake. They tried it and it’s a failure, whatever anyone says. No one in the game wants it so why persist.

Most of it is subjective but tonight seem to be the case of the ref getting it right then changing his mind !

Is that because VAR asked him to or he wanted to ?

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That isn’t the point though - the ref thought both were pens and gave them 

there has to be unequivocal evidence that the ref has got it wrong for var to intervene - I could understand the villa intervention as March got a big touch on the ball.  It was understandable that the var asked Oliver if he saw the touch.  The West Brom review was ridiculous - it’s simply not a clear error to give the pen ......

But Fernandes also got a touch on the ball as well....

Now to send my beloved forum into meltdown....

I like L'pool & Klopp ( I am also a BvB fan). But..

If Leicester cant win the title,I would prefer either Everton or Spurs win the title...I like Lampard but Not Chelsea...

Spurs look like ( After These 8 games) they have a Good alround team...Leicester/Everton/Spurs..

could Lineker be looking for a hatrick of ex- clubs in the next few years to take the title...Would he well up & tears Flow for One of  his secondary teams...??

I wonder if we will see this season settle down into its traditional ways,or will we regular see upsets ,& unexpected results pop up even more....

One Thing is  for sure, Man.city have lost their Clean Clinical self-belief & at the moment their magic. Their Multi Million group of players look lethargisch & somewhat clueless..!!

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That Brighton game where Utd somehow got 3 points and then this tonight is just jaw dropping, they ought to be 5 points worse off in 17th place.

Ridiculous isn't it? Firstly a penalty after the final whistle had been blown and frankly 6 minutes of utterly atrocious decision making

• Like 1

That united game just makes me sick. So transparent that it’s a fix and it will continue all season until they get results back in there favour. 

Hate to say it but we are in line for a shit storm of terrible decisions. Especially with the ref line up for tomorrow’s game. Honestly, he’s not going to give us anything after the VVD incident 

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Most of it is subjective but tonight seem to be the case of the ref getting it right then changing his mind !

Is that because VAR asked him to or he wanted to ?

Who knows, the point that var doesn’t make decisions black or white, as was the idea behind it, and if anything, it puts more pressure on refs and linesmen due to the fact it undermines there authority. It’s pointless and a technology that’s not required and no one wants it.

• Like 1