urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think it’s time the fa scrapped var. it doesn’t work consistency and never will because of the human factor of officials looking at a monitor still being able to make a mistake. They tried it and it’s a failure, whatever anyone says. No one in the game wants it so why persist.

But the error probability decreases a lot since the referee can now make his decision after analyzing the action on a monitor, whatever the decision is you can be sure it is better than it would be without VAR.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, twister said:

Who needs to be a semi decent manager when you have penalties every week eh.

Its so bloody obvious whats going on but we can prove nothing so just carry on with the farce. luckily i dont pay a single penny towards it this year, hurrah.

I'd be interested to see responses if this was Real Madrid or Juventus.

8 hours ago, twister said:

Who needs to be a semi decent manager when you have penalties every week eh.

Its so bloody obvious whats going on but we can prove nothing so just carry on with the farce. luckily i dont pay a single penny towards it this year, hurrah.

Hope this sentiment works against Rodgers as well keeping him out of the elite list of managers and with us for many years. 

Or is it just the big boys having a ready made excuse for when we win it again. Conspiracy theory? 

Or could it be that we are now one of the big boys and the puppet masters knew before we did? 

Liverpool sites have certainly picked up on how many penalties we've had and taken the logical conclusion that if they had had that many penalties, they would have won the league already. Obviously they understand that the penalties are predetermined and not at all indicative of performance. 

Have we swapped places with Liverpool and those plucky little underdogs need to slink back into oblivion so we can take back our rightful place? 😱🤣

54 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

They were laughing about it on MOTD last night, but Wright is right. If we're gonna be strict on keepers coming off the line then don't let the penalty taker piss about on their run up.

Never understood the keeper thing anyway because they're bound to jump forward due to momentum. How difficult would be just to jump left/right without moving forwards? 

Absolute corrupt decisions anyway. The whole "respect the ref" is nonsense when they don't do the same.

Agree about the taker though. Shouldn't be allowed to do fancy things in the run up.

Edited by Fox92

If the ref goes to look at the screen it's almost certain he's going to change his mind. The VAR ref obviously has doubt else he would agree with decision. We thought them looking at the screen would be better, but the VAR ref is still influencing the refs decision. 

Its amusing that the press report that Spurs and Southampton have been top this season, in some reference to them having been on a par with us yet we have returned to the top hours/days later when we play our games. Irks me, fair enough if they remain top after we play our games but until then don't even acknowledge the cuurnts.

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

If the ref goes to look at the screen it's almost certain he's going to change his mind. The VAR ref obviously has doubt else he would agree with decision. We thought them looking at the screen would be better, but the VAR ref is still influencing the refs decision. 

This is another consequence of changing the rules in respect of asking the refs to view the screen. Last season, the var would not consider that there was enough doubt last night to overturn so would leave the on field call. But now they can bring their subjective view of events into play by asking the ref to look himself. This is not what var is about. It is not supposed to re ref the game and on field subjective ‘uncertain’ calls are supposed to be left to stand - only 100% incorrect calls are supposed to be overturned - it’s significant that the English game is incapable of using it properly - Mike Riley really needs to go .....

• Like 1

I heard on MOTD in the Spurs game following the handball decision for Laporte's disallowed goal that there was a time limit after a handball leading to a goal where it won't be taken in to account. Commentator said it was a change brought in - anyone know what the time limit is? 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I heard on MOTD in the Spurs game following the handball decision for Laporte's disallowed goal that there was a time limit after a handball leading to a goal where it won't be taken in to account. Commentator said it was a change brought in - anyone know what the time limit is? 

Depends which club is being affected :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was strange to see Jack Grealish 'helping' a Brighton player back on to his feet yesterday after he was struck by a villa player(was making a meal of it) 

Then Trezuguet (spelling) rolled around in agony for ages after being slightly touched for villa's non penalty,  Jack did nothing to assist him. 

Is all well in the villa dressing room? 😄

I'd like to see penalties changed so that as soon as the ref blows his whistle both taker and GK can move however they like. That would force the abandoning of long or stuttering run ups because the GK would have closed them down by then. It'd also make penalties a bit more challenging and less of a gimme as there'd be very little run up by necessity. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

It was strange to see Jack Grealish 'helping' a Brighton player back on to his feet yesterday after he was struck by a villa player(was making a meal of it) 

Then Trezuguet (spelling) rolled around in agony for ages after being slightly touched for villa's non penalty,  Jack did nothing to assist him. 

Is all well in the villa dressing room? 😄

He  was getting the bha player to his feet cos villa were chasing an equaliser....... 

22 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I'd like to see penalties changed so that as soon as the ref blows his whistle both taker and GK can move however they like. That would force the abandoning of long or stuttering run ups because the GK would have closed them down by then. It'd also make penalties a bit more challenging and less of a gimme as there'd be very little run up by necessity. 

This would be class. Can just imagine the ref putting  the whistle to his lips and the pen taker and keeper just run towards the ball 😂

25 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Not sure you’ve quite thought that through .......

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Never understood the keeper thing anyway because they're bound to jump forward due to momentum. How difficult would be just to jump left/right without moving forwards? 

Absolute corrupt decisions anyway. The whole "respect the ref" is nonsense when they don't do the same.

Agree about the taker though. Shouldn't be allowed to do fancy things in the run up.

I think once the whistle goes it should be a free for all with the penalty taker and attacker. Keep the rule where the taker can only touch the ball once before someone else but the rest is open. Keeper can sprint off their line, penalty taker can stutter, even pass to the side for.someone else.if.they wish. Certainly would make it a bit more interesting (however not as clear a punishment as previously perhaps!). 

Just now, lcfc81 said:

I think once the whistle goes it should be a free for all with the penalty taker and attacker. Keep the rule where the taker can only touch the ball once before someone else but the rest is open. Keeper can sprint off their line, penalty taker can stutter, even pass to the side for.someone else.if.they wish. Certainly would make it a bit more interesting (however not as clear a punishment as previously perhaps!). 

Ignore, I have just seen the bears response above. 🙂

55 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I found this yesterday

But it is not a handball offence if after an accidental handball the ball travels some distance via a pass or a dribble, or there are several passes before the goal or goalscoring opportunity.

The ball traveled to Laporte via a pass but obviously not a long enough distance, whatever that distance is defined as who knows? Another subjective introduction perhaps?

4 minutes ago, lcfc81 said:

What about Penalty shootouts where the rest of the team are in the centre circle?