urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

In Dean Smith's interview he said that if VAR thought it wasn't a pen, they should have just told the ref that and overruled it rather than ask him to check the monitor. I can guarantee that had they done that, Dean Smith would be asking why the ref hadn't gone to the monitor to check himself.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 4
13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He  was getting the bha player to his feet cos villa were chasing an equaliser....... 

I haven't got a problem with that but his fellow teammates reaction was feckin embarrassing. 

Lamela's theatrics at old Trafford was a prime example of players being absolute &@+%s

If it's a free kick, then it's a free kick 

If it's a penalty , then it's a penalty. 

If they're hurt, then they're hurt. 

Rolling around playacting should be stopped. 

A massive and totally embarrassing aspect of the modern game which VAR should be nailing. 

I don't particularly like rugby that much but some of their comments regarding footballers is embarrassingly true. 

3 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

I haven't got a problem with that but his fellow teammates reaction was feckin embarrassing. 

Lamela's theatrics at old Trafford was a prime example of players being absolute &@+%s

If it's a free kick, then it's a free kick 

If it's a penalty , then it's a penalty. 

If they're hurt, then they're hurt. 

Rolling around playacting should be stopped. 

A massive and totally embarrassing aspect of the modern game which VAR should be nailing. 

I don't particularly like rugby that much but some of their comments regarding footballers is embarrassingly true. 

If I was a ref I would start issuing yellow cards if I thought a player was ‘acting’ ...... they can’t be rescinded and it would stop a few of them 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I'd like to see penalties changed so that as soon as the ref blows his whistle both taker and GK can move however they like. That would force the abandoning of long or stuttering run ups because the GK would have closed them down by then. It'd also make penalties a bit more challenging and less of a gimme as there'd be very little run up by necessity. 

You want to see less goals? If pens were not a gimme, defenders will just start tripping forwards as soon as it looks like they're about to shoot

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

Sky Sports says: Tottenham making a statement and could go on to win the league because of a 2-0 win over Manchester City.

Well we beat them 5-2. Same big club bias, it’s the same with Liverpool’s injuries, like we’ve had none.

Yeah the rhetoric seems to be that ours was a freak, one off whereas the Spurs win is a statement of intent??

Not denying its a decent win for Spurs but its funny how things are reported and interpretated.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

Hope this sentiment works against Rodgers as well keeping him out of the elite list of managers and with us for many years. 

Or is it just the big boys having a ready made excuse for when we win it again. Conspiracy theory? 

Or could it be that we are now one of the big boys and the puppet masters knew before we did? 

Liverpool sites have certainly picked up on how many penalties we've had and taken the logical conclusion that if they had had that many penalties, they would have won the league already. Obviously they understand that the penalties are predetermined and not at all indicative of performance. 

Have we swapped places with Liverpool and those plucky little underdogs need to slink back into oblivion so we can take back our rightful place? 😱🤣

42 pens in united last 59  games. come on mate have a serious look.

41 minutes ago, twister said:

42 pens in united last 59  games. come on mate have a serious look.

Apropos of nothing, but it would seem instead of my much desired wish that the 5G truther inadequates sod off and stroke each other in their own infantile 'it's a fix' thread, this one will be left at their mercy. Unless they start to bring eggs into it.

Back on topic... I had a serious look at penalties awarded this season;

# Club Penalties received Scored Missed Goal rate
1 Leicester City Leicester City 8 7 1 87.5 %
2 Manchester United Manchester United 4 3 1 75.0 %
3 FC Chelsea Chelsea FC 4 3 1 75.0 %
4 FC Liverpool Liverpool FC 4 4 0 100.0 %
5 FC Fulham Fulham FC 3 1 2 33.3 %
6 Sheffield United Sheffield United 3 2 1 66.7 %
7 Newcastle United Newcastle United 3 3 0 100.0 %
8 Manchester City Manchester City 2 1 1 50.0 %
9 Crystal Palace Crystal Palace 2 2 0 100.0 %
10 Brighton & Hove Albion Brighton & Hove Albion 2 2 0 100.0 %
11 Tottenham Hotspur Tottenham Hotspur 2 2 0 100.0 %
12 Aston Villa Aston Villa 1 1 0 100.0 %
13 Leeds United Leeds United 1 1 0 100.0 %
14 FC Arsenal Arsenal FC 1 1 0 100.0 %
15 FC Everton Everton FC 1 1 0 100.0 %
16 FC Southampton Southampton FC

8 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Apropos of nothing, but it would seem instead of my much desired wish that the 5G truther inadequates sod off and stroke each other in their own infantile 'it's a fix' thread, this one will be left at their mercy. Unless they start to bring eggs into it.

Back on topic... I had a serious look at penalties awarded this season;

# Club Penalties received Scored Missed Goal rate
1 Leicester City Leicester City 8 7 1 87.5 %
2 Manchester United Manchester United 4 3 1 75.0 %
3 FC Chelsea Chelsea FC 4 3 1 75.0 %
4 FC Liverpool Liverpool FC 4 4 0 100.0 %
5 FC Fulham Fulham FC 3 1 2 33.3 %
6 Sheffield United Sheffield United 3 2 1 66.7 %
7 Newcastle United Newcastle United 3 3 0 100.0 %
8 Manchester City Manchester City 2 1 1 50.0 %
9 Crystal Palace Crystal Palace 2 2 0 100.0 %
10 Brighton & Hove Albion Brighton & Hove Albion 2 2 0 100.0 %
11 Tottenham Hotspur Tottenham Hotspur 2 2 0 100.0 %
12 Aston Villa Aston Villa 1 1 0 100.0 %
13 Leeds United Leeds United 1 1 0 100.0 %
14 FC Arsenal Arsenal FC 1 1 0 100.0 %
15 FC Everton Everton FC 1 1 0 100.0 %
16 FC Southampton Southampton FC

accept take away the first pen last week, and  Leicester pens were  all pens.

I think your seriously naive mate if you don't think the big 6 don't get  a lot in their favour.

in 2005 you would have said'' oh don't be a cynic about juventus or inter before the referee scandal ''.

keep your head in the sand. I see truths.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Yeah the rhetoric seems to be that ours was a freak, one off whereas the Spurs win is a statement of intent??

Not denying its a decent win for Spurs but its funny how things are reported and interpretated.

Agreed.

Even more so when you look at the stats from the game. Man City dominated possession in both games and had far more shots generally and more on target.

Spurs has slightly more possession than us (34%-28%), but only managed 4 shots in the entire game with two on target and two goals.

So where is all the whinging and moaning  that we had to endure after our game? 

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Not for those without chips ......

are we growing to a point where are benefiting from that unconscious bias (or soon will be) ??

If you mean in relation to those 8 penalties this season, that seems like a hell of a growth spurt! 

Would have thought it was more a function of playing (and one particular player's) style

Edited by turtmcfly
1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Not sure you’ve quite thought that through .......

Because..........? 

1 hour ago, Fktf said:

You want to see less goals? If pens were not a gimme, defenders will just start tripping forwards as soon as it looks like they're about to shoot

It would give the GK a marginally better chance. The attacker would be forced to only take one or maybe two steps before hitting it so as not to give the keeper too much time to move. 

It'd still be an easy chance to score but it would stop attackers taking a stuttering run up. You have to hit it as quickly as you can basically. 

18 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Because..........? 

It would give the GK a marginally better chance. The attacker would be forced to only take one or maybe two steps before hitting it so as not to give the keeper too much time to move. 

It'd still be an easy chance to score but it would stop attackers taking a stuttering run up. You have to hit it as quickly as you can basically. 

sorry but an unseemly rush once the whistle is blown is not what I consider a reward for a pen .....  the keeper can charge out to the edge of his six yard box in the time it takes for the taker to reach the ball - it would be a spectacle but not for me - sounds like the old USA soccer league when there was a draw !