urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Reckon even Hassenhuttl with what he has done at Southampton since after beating them 0-9 would be a better nomination than Bielsa.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong Bielsa is a great coach but what's he done so far at Leeds, took a side out the Championship that really should have been in the premier league anyway. Fair enough if he were to finish top 6 or something this season but it's too early to judge how they'll do in the premier league.

• Like 3

That’s a joke, he didn’t even get a particularly high points total, compared to the teams who have been champions since we went up. In fact since we went up what 7 years ago, had there been a team with a lower points total for winning the league?

Didn’t do anything in the cups either. 
Weird, I can’t see anything he’s done in his career that a hundred average championship managers haven’t done previously.

48 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I don't think your far off it here. Celtic would be a good move for Howe, a less risk adverse job to re-build his reputation and then walk into another EPL job in a few years, similar to what Rodgers done in all honesty. I'd take howe in a minute at Celtic although that would involve sacking the idiot currently in charge which our prehistoric, indecisive board seem incapable of doing. He's odds on favourite at the moment anyway.

This last bit is interesting, if Howe meant absolutely anything he said on MNF then he wouldn't go near a set up like this.

Question for you Muzzy... why do you think you haven't been taken over? If you look at a comparative team in a league that they win with their eyes closed, PSG, the fact that the league wont make them much money isn't seen as an issue for their investors and they've used their money to advance PSG in Europe/The world.

I just wonder, when you look at the likes of Derby County getting UAE money, how on earth hasn't something like that triggered at Celtic over the years? 

Even a bunch like our owners, surely almost guaranteed league success with the chance of building an incredible squad for Europe is enticing? 

I get, as i've said many times, it would be tricky to entice players away from the top european leagues to play in the SPL, but maybe if the money situation was different that could change?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AjcW said:

This last bit is interesting, if Howe meant absolutely anything he said on MNF then he wouldn't go near a set up like this.

Question for you Muzzy... why do you think you haven't been taken over? If you look at a comparative team in a league that they win with their eyes closed, PSG, the fact that the league wont make them much money isn't seen as an issue for their investors and they've used their money to advance PSG in Europe/The world.

I just wonder, when you look at the likes of Derby County getting UAE money, how on earth hasn't something like that triggered at Celtic over the years? 

Even a bunch like our owners, surely almost guaranteed league success with the chance of building an incredible squad for Europe is enticing? 

I get, as i've said many times, it would be tricky to entice players away from the top european leagues to play in the SPL, but maybe if the money situation was different that could change?

Yeah I saw the same, rumour has it lawell is going at the end of the season also though. The high profile managerial appointments we make Desmond seems to handle all those personally anyway.

It's a good question, I think the sole reason is that we operate in a backwater league and a very restrictive market, there isn't much room for us to grow unless we leave Scotland. FFP makes it very hard for us to pay massive wages to entice better players to come to Scotland. Clubs like the Derby's of this world have the carrot of the pathway to the EPL and if they were to make it the value of the club will virtually double overnight.

There have been a couple of tenuous rumours the last few years about Qatari's eyeing us up but not sure there is anything substantial in them. Our largest and second largest shareholders are already bona fide billionaires but hey don't really put any money into the club,

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Angus Scott said:

Surely this has to be a scam, Bielsa nominated as one of the top 5 managers in the world - for winning England's second tier championship. It's a complete joke, I just don't understand why this bloke is so lauded. 

It must be because he sits on a bucket

i think it is because of the bucket

I don't see the reason for Bielsa being there but some journalist said Lampard did a better job than him last season- really? Lampard finished a place and six points below Sarri's season and Sarri was pretty much loathed.

Bloke mentioned how great British managers are then moaned they don't get the credit :cap:

Leicester should have played similarly to what Atalanta did today against Liverpool, aggressive football, solid confidence and mentality, they came to win and showed no sign that they are in doubt about it. Leicester is a stronger side than Atalanta but Atalanta manager got it right when playing attacking football and dominating which surprised Liverpool.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Sand cats said:

Leicester should have played similarly to what Atalanta did today against Liverpool, aggressive football, solid confidence and mentality, they came to win and showed no sign that they are in doubt about it. Leicester is a stronger side than Atalanta but Atalanta manager got it right when playing attacking football and dominating which surprised Liverpool.

Eh atalanta had their first 11 out (from what i could tell) i agree our first 11 is stronger than theirs but with albrighton at rwb you cant really argue we have a stronger side atm.

Now Liverpool probably feels like us, parts of the media said we could beat Liverpool but they played good. And than everyone said how Liverpool are brilliant. Seems they also came crashing down yesterday, the hype about them came crashing down yesterday, the players thought Atalanta would be a easy turnover, but they gave Liverpool no respect, maybe Leicester should have given Liverpool the same treatment.

31 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Digne out for 2 months for Everton. Big miss for them. Seems to have done well under Ancelotti in their team. 

I saw somewhere, amongst the Liverpool moaning that Everton had had the best record with injuries. This will be a big blow for sure and good for us. 

I feel like they are the biggest competition for ‘best of the rest’