urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

They have been for a while. They have been a very poor team playing defensive football and grinding out results just like Burnley have in the past. The issue is eventually you’ll be figured out and it started to happen last season and has carried on this. It of course hasn’t helped that they lost their main goal scorer which has undeniably increased the speed of their demise. 

We haven't been "found out" at all. In fact that's the main reason Nuno is trying to get us play differently so that doesn't happen. 

It's a combination of things this season. Losing Jimenez, having more injuries to first team players than usual, changing the style of play, playing 4 at the back more often. Not to mention playing by far the most U21 players in the league. 

Both the fans and the owners have recognised this season is going to be one of transition for us. 

• Like 2
Just now, The Bear said:

We haven't been "found out" at all. In fact that's the main reason Nuno is trying to get us play differently so that doesn't happen. 

It's a combination of things this season. Losing Jimenez, having more injuries to first team players than usual, changing the style of play, playing 4 at the back more often. Not to mention playing by far the most U21 players in the league. 

Both the fans and the owners have recognised this season is going to be one of transition for us. 

Be nice if you transition back to the championship 

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, The Bear said:

He's stayed on too long tonight but.... He's 18 and shouldn't even be playing regularly yet. 

Quite. Playing him is costing you points. I’m astonished by his lack of quality. He doesn’t seem to have anything that warrants such big money being paid - no technique, no pace, no eye for a goal. Unlike Pedro Neto, who has all of those qualities.

2 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Quite. Playing him is costing you points. I’m astonished by his lack of quality. He doesn’t seem to have anything that warrants such big money being paid - no technique, no pace, no eye for a goal. Unlike Pedro Neto, who has all of those qualities.

I just think he's been thrown in too early. The football brain is there and he's had a couple of decent chances, but physically He's not ready. Neto is two years older and had played first team football for Lazio. 

We weren't crap tonight either. The xG was 1.20 to 0.27 in our favour. A draw would have been about fair but conceding from set-pieces is becoming an issue for us. 

Edited by The Bear
4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Thought you played quite well and were a lot more attacking than when I’ve seen you previously this season. Everton took their chances though and closed it out second half.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, foxestalkisfullofidiots said:

Gary Neville shouldn't be allowed to commentate on Man U games

Tbf he slags them off more then any other team, he is no way as bad as carragher on Liverpool, I can’t watch that **** when he is on the Liverpool games 

• Like 1
Just now, Sunbury Fox said:

@TheBear, didn't watch your game. What were Everton like? See they had only 5 shots in the whole game and assume the winner again came off a set piece for them? 

Correct. They huffed and puffed but didn't create much. They took their main chance which was a tricky one but a good finish, and then scored from 2nd phase cross from a corner. 

5 minutes ago, TK95 said:

So who do we want to win on Sunday? United or Liverpool? 

What a bloody hard question, cannot see Man U still competing for the title come may, but I don’t think we will neither, so my opinion I think Liverpool will click into gear soon, and we will not stop them, Man U are more of a threat to us for top 4, 

Edited by Kingleicester
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, The Bear said:

This is poor on the excuses front for me. 

Any team that can afford to spend £35m on an 18 year old has no right to label something a transition season. That implies you’ve had to sell and reinvest in new young players. 

Just admit it, the Portugal project has hit a few bumps this season. You’ve sold a quality right back to Spurs and replaced him with a £30m donkey. You sold Jota who even Liverpool can’t cope without. Nuno has then preceded to try and fix something that wasn’t broke for the sake of “not getting found out”... 

If we’d shit the bed as much as you have this season I can promise you I’d be being much more honest about ours and our managers failings. 

If you’re going to contribute as much as you do on another teams board, at least know when to be pragmatic. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Correct. They huffed and puffed but didn't create much. They took their main chance which was a tricky one but a good finish, and then scored from 2nd phase cross from a corner. 

I've been shot down by some for saying it, but I find Everton unremittingly dull. Ancelotti, who I quite like to be fair, has turned them into a 1980s Serie A team. They're massively over performing against the stats so hopefully they'll drop off eventually.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, The Bear said:

I just think he's been thrown in too early. The football brain is there and he's had a couple of decent chances, but physically He's not ready. 

We weren't crap tonight either. The xG was 1.20 to 0.27 in our favour. Conceding from set-pieces is becoming an issue for us. 

I was rooting for you. I enjoy watching Wolves play, especially Neto and Traore (when he is on song), but the longer the game went on, the fact that you were effectively playing with ten men was inevitably going to cost you.

If Fabio Silva eventually comes good, I’ll gladly eat my words, but he looks a complete dud to me.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Not to mention losing Jota too. Wolves are still a very very good team

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

If they win the league , it won’t be because of class, it’ll be because they’ve scabbed it. Still not half time yet though

Like we Keep saying...!!!

You cant Scab or scrape...a 38 game season..!!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, The Bear said:

For me as someone looking in from the outside I see it like this. Wolves has a very particular system that they played and played it well. It was defensive, quite boring but effective. Towards the latter end of last season teams had started to get to grips with the system and it was becoming less effective. Nuno has had to change the system which has exposed the flaws in the players ability. This coupled with the loss of Docherty and Jimenez has lead to the demise of wolves for me.

I also believe that the recruitment strategy is flawed. Signing players who aren’t very good (semedo) and those that are too young (Silva) just because an agent tells them too is asking for trouble. 

• Like 1
Just now, AjcW said:

This is poor on the excuses front for me. 

Any team that can afford to spend £35m on an 18 year old has no right to label something a transition season. That implies you’ve had to sell and reinvest in new young players. 

Just admit it, the Portugal project has hit a few bumps this season. You’ve sold a quality right back to Spurs and replaced him with a £30m donkey. You sold Jota who even Liverpool can’t cope without. Nuno has then preceded to try and fix something that wasn’t broke for the sake of “not getting found out”... 

If we’d shit the bed as much as you have this season I can promise you I’d be being much more honest about ours and our managers failings. 

If you’re going to contribute as much as you do on another teams board, at least know when to be pragmatic. 

You're welcome to your opinion but but I don't agree whatsoever. What we spent on Silva is irrelevant. And this season has nothing to do with him. The "bumps" you mention have mainly been stuff out of our control, like injuries. Changing formation and style was a conscious decision from the manager and he'll ultimately be judged on that. Doing it during a pandemic with no pre-season may be a poor decision in hindsight for sure. 

And Doc isn't a quality RB! He's a shite RB who happened to fit our very specific wing-back system. He's barely played for Spurs recently because he can't play in a four. Semedo had been here 6 months and is still too early to judge but he looks decent going forward and is much better on the ball that Doc. Jota went because it was Liverpool, no bones about that. Though he had started to go stale for us. The fans certainly weren't up in arms about it. 

• Like 1