Jump to content
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Kingleicester said:

Tbf he slags them off more then any other team, he is no way as bad as carragher on Liverpool, I can’t watch that **** when he is on the Liverpool games 

I think both are good to listen to in general but listening to them commentate on their own team is only the same as if I was commentating on a Leicester game as a neutral you get fed up with the bias in the end

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I also believe that the recruitment strategy is flawed. Signing players who aren’t very good (semedo) and those that are too young (Silva) just because an agent tells them too is asking for trouble. 

You've picked put two players there who've barely been at the club 5 mins. And one of them is 18 and shouldn't be playing yet. Probably why we've recalled Cutrone. 

 

Our recruitment policy is clearly trying to emulate someone like Dortmund. Lots of highly rated U21 players to blend into the team when ready. Kilman, Hoever, Ait-Nouri, Vitinha, Otasawie, Neto, Silva. All of those are getting minutes and/or breaking through to be regulars this season. 

 

Sky had an article the other day that said we have given double the amount of PL minutes to U21 players than anyone else this season. The long term strategy is pretty clear IMO. 

Edited by The Bear
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Quite. Playing him is costing you points. I’m astonished by his lack of quality. He doesn’t seem to have anything that warrants such big money being paid - no technique, no pace, no eye for a goal. Unlike Pedro Neto, who has all of those qualities.

 

I disagree. He is 18 and his movements off the ball and link up play is decent. How many 18 year olds play regularly in the Premier League? Very few. You have to be an exceptional talent like Fabregas, Rooney and Rashford to be playing regular PL football at 18. Fabio Silva isn't on that level but I see talent in him. I think he will be great when he is 22. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Spurs and Man City win tomorrow as expected then we have 4 teams on 32 points. Really interesting period for us.

Very hard next 9 games for us in the league as well. 18 points from that lot and we are dancing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Sunday's CLASH is so HUGE I wouldn't rule out Sky cancelling their coverage of the earlier matches to have BUILD-UP to RED SUNDAY from 8am. 

 

 Nailed to ne a 0-0 or a scrappy 1-0 for Liverpool. 

 

SUPER SKY SUNDAY SKY SUPER SUPER SUNDAY . Coverage starts Saturday lunchtime when Wolves v WBA is on. 

 

Edited by Koke
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Bear said:

You're welcome to your opinion but but I don't agree whatsoever. What we spent on Silva is irrelevant. And this season has nothing to do with him. The "bumps" you mention have mainly been stuff out of our control, like injuries. Changing formation and style was a conscious decision from the manager and he'll ultimately be judged on that. Doing it during a pandemic with no pre-season may be a poor decision in hindsight for sure. 

 

And Doc isn't a quality RB! He's a shite RB who happened to fit our very specific wing-back system. He's barely played for Spurs recently because he can't play in a four. Semedo had been here 6 months and is still too early to judge but he looks decent going forward and is much better on the ball that Doc. Jota went because it was Liverpool, no bones about that. Though he had started to go stale for us. The fans certainly weren't up in arms about it. 

Sort of sums it up for me the way I see Wolves management and fans at present. 

 

'Oh well he'd started to go a bit flat for us so we're well rid'

 

Liverpool would be several points clear at the top if he hadn't go injured :teehee:

 

Same with 'Doc'... as a fan from the outside that's someone who consistently assisted and scored and got you points. But as soon as Nuno/Mendes sniff a chance at a big name he's shipped out. I've seen Semedo several time for Barca and he's cost them games, i've watched him a few times for you this season and he's done exactly the same.

 

I just think as fans you've been a bit spoilt and you're a bit 'well we will have already found their replacement' so there's no patience with players or effort to bring them on. I wouldn't be surprised to see you sell Traore soon to be honest for similar reasons. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Koke said:

 

I disagree. He is 18 and his movements off the ball and link up play is decent. How many 18 year olds play regularly in the Premier League? Very few. You have to be an exceptional talent like Fabregas, Rooney and Rashford to be playing regular PL football at 18. Fabio Silva isn't on that level but I see talent in him. I think he will be great when he is 22. 

For £35m you would expect to see “exceptional talent” (or something hinting at the potential for it) even at 18. Sorry, I don’t see anything remotely that suggests he can live up to that price tag. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hammo said:

For £35m you would expect to see “exceptional talent” (or something hinting at the potential for it) even at 18. Sorry, I don’t see anything remotely that suggests he can live up to that price tag. 

That thinking behind it was seeing someone like Joao Felix go for crazy money (not that I'm comparing them). The scouting team watched Silva for 3 years, saw him bagging a goal a game in Porto's youth teams, and decided he was going to be worth a lot more than £35m in a few years. 

 

Whether that was a good decision remains to be seen in the fullness of time. The way transfer fees are going he may be looked back on as a bargain, or a complete waste of money. 

Edited by The Bear
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Ridiculous that the likely winner of the league this season will have lost either 7-2, 6-1 or 5-2 at home.

 

Or losing 1-0 away to Ukrainian farmers.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Bear said:

That thinking behind it was seeing someone like Joao Felix go for crazy money (not that I'm comparing them). The scouting team watched Silva for 3 years, saw him bagging a goal a game in Porto's youth teams, and decided he was going to be worth a lot more than £35m in a few years. 

 

Whether that was a good decision remains to be seen in the fullness of time. The way transfer fees are going he may be looked back on as a bargain, or a complete waste of money. 

I agree with you here tbh. Fans are too quick to judge, you have to trust your scouts. If he was the finished article you wouldn’t have got him for that price.
 

However, It’s not the talent I question with him, it’s the EPL. It’s a physically tough league and he might never adjust to that, whatever his potential. 
 

im sure a few big loan breaks and you’d get your money back anyway 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

United have about 4/5 players there who can win a game on their own. Seem to have plugged some leaks at the back since Bailly came in too. 

 

Ole winning a league would feel so cheap though, really hope it doesn't happen

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

we know who is winning this league now,them again.

 

after maguire handballed at the end I turned to my brother and said

 

this novel already has a ending

 

Its a dull as dishwater but as obvious as the sea

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Bear said:

You've picked put two players there who've barely been at the club 5 mins. And one of them is 18 and shouldn't be playing yet. Probably why we've recalled Cutrone. 

 

Our recruitment policy is clearly trying to emulate someone like Dortmund. Lots of highly rated U21 players to blend into the team when ready. Kilman, Hoever, Ait-Nouri, Vitinha, Otasawie, Neto, Silva. All of those are getting minutes and/or breaking through to be regulars this season. 

 

Sky had an article the other day that said we have given double the amount of PL minutes to U21 players than anyone else this season. The long term strategy is pretty clear IMO. 

Having young players isn’t an excuse for having a poor team. There needs to be a blend for them to progress. I can guarantee if Leicester were sat in 14th in the league we wouldn’t be pointing to the youth in the squad and Rodgers almost certainly would be out of a job. It’s about ambition.

 

I think the relationship with the agent worked well in the championship where he was bringing in players above that level but now in the premier league it hasn’t worked at all. It’s clear that some players arent up to standard and semedo embodies this the most. Anyone who watches Spanish football could see he was poor but yet wolves paid a lot for him. Silva is another matter because of his age and talent but for me wolves weren’t in a position where they should have been signing players that weren’t ready for the first team for such a fee. 
 

I see relegation in wolves short term future personally. It’s taken longer than I expected. I predicted it last season. It all comes down to the system and recruitment model for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Results from today and by Saturday will mean our game against the saints becomes a MUST WIN if we want to stay in the mix. Can’t afford to drop points. Games will become hotly contested scraps which we must try to grind out a result by any means necessary. Pogbas deflected shot today made the difference for manu today. Small margins.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We aren't getting relegated! lol

 

Not because we're "too good to go down" but because we have double Fulham's total in 3rd bottom after nearly half a season - 22 compared to 11. Once we get some of our 6 injured first team players back, results will pick up. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...