urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Nuno certainly is. He has his son living with him but he's about to go off to university. He hasn't seen the rest of his family in months. 

Having not seen any of my family or friends since December 2019, I can confirm it's tough. At least they've got each other at the club for support. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Having not seen any of my family or friends since December 2019, I can confirm it's tough. At least they've got each other at the club for support. 

Yeah I wouldn't have any sympathy for footballers to be honest. 

Paid handsomely, and that DOES matter especially in the context of the current climate, and able to work. Tonnes of them are openly flouting the rules - though not to suggest all are - and they're able to go to work and see their colleagues. They even touch one another regularly. 

But the poor darlings must be suffering in their ****ing mansions with little to no change in lifestyle. The heart bleeds. 

2 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Paid handsomely, and that DOES matter especially in the context of the current climate, and able to work. Tonnes of them are openly flouting the rules - though not to suggest all are - and they're able to go to work and see their colleagues. They even touch one another regularly. 

But the poor darlings must be suffering in their ****ing mansions with little to no change in lifestyle. The heart bleeds. 

I do have sympathy though, because regardless of the pay check they're still people who might be 100's of miles from family and haven't seen them for months. Yes, you're absolutely going to be more comfortable in a mansion than a small house but it doesn't mean someone like Nuno doesn't feel the effects of separation from his family. Obviously none of them are struggling to pay the bills but it can still have an impact. My income has no bearing on how much I'm missing my friends and family currently, they might be the same.

10 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I do have sympathy though, because regardless of the pay check they're still people who might be 100's of miles from family and haven't seen them for months. Yes, you're absolutely going to be more comfortable in a mansion than a small house but it doesn't mean someone like Nuno doesn't feel the effects of separation from his family. Obviously none of them are struggling to pay the bills but it can still have an impact. My income has no bearing on how much I'm missing my friends and family currently, they might be the same.

There are millions in furlough that are, by government mandate, prevented from going to work. 

Footballers not only go to work, they're handsomely paid and they're exempt from what seems like most rules of pandemic society. For gods sake Vardy has had a hair cut. Something I cannot do without breaking some law or other. 

Sorry. There are too many far worse off for them to get any sympathy. I've lived half the world from my family before. Use skype. 

23 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

theyre humans not gods mate, of course they have more resources but we are hardly talking about exploitative folk like bezos who would sell his soul for a dollar

3 minutes ago, NasPb said:

theyre humans not gods mate, of course they have more resources but we are hardly talking about exploitative folk like bezos who would sell his soul for a dollar

They might well be humans but they're gods when it suits them aren't they? I'm sure Grealish was crying out to be a regular bloke when he was getting away with being pissed up behind the wheel. And Mendy when he was being defended and getting away with flying q woman into the country in the middle of a pandemic. Just normal guys. 

They're given so much leeway and privileges in society that I find zero sympathy. Remember, for once they're being treated like regular folks. 

If your average joe can't see his family I don't see why we should sit weeping over the plight of a footballer. 

Edited by foxile5
Just now, foxile5 said:

They might well be humans but they're gods when it does them aren't they? 

They're given so much leeway and privileges in society that I find zero sympathy. Remember, for once they're being treated like regular folks. 

If your average joe can't see his family I don't see why we should sit weeping over the plight of a footballer. 

i do agree generally that the richer you are the more leeway you have. that shows how corrupt the system is in general. But while it obviously is not as hard off on them as it is on average folk, theyre not souless, shallow folk, or at least the majority are not. 

Just now, NasPb said:

i do agree generally that the richer you are the more leeway you have. that shows how corrupt the system is in general. But while it obviously is not as hard off on them as it is on average folk, theyre not souless, shallow folk, or at least the majority are not. 

I'm not intimating that they are.

But everyone in society is in this together. They're the demographic of complete, total non concern for me. Super rich, super fit young men who, on a good day, couldn't give two shits about being normal (and why would they?). Nah. I think I'll reserve my sympathy for those in a bit more need. 

8 hours ago, Jaspa said:

What's this don't celebrate too close together thing really all about?

Players run around shoulder to shoulder, grappling on corners and roll around in eachothers spit on the pitch. Train & travel together in air conditioned buses ect. Share baths, showers. More spit all over the ball.

Unreal isn't it. Disappointed we made a thing of it. The worst thing you can do with the types to moan about that is pander to their demands. The only real blot on our performance.

10 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Oh yeah incredible band.

the City and Hundred Reasons - never thought I'd live in a world where they collided. 
Saw them Rock City 2004, supported by Biffy Clyro. How things change...

Believe the HR singer now works as a media teacher at a college somewhere and has no real inclination to return to music. 

8 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I'm not intimating that they are.

But everyone in society is in this together. They're the demographic of complete, total non concern for me. Super rich, super fit young men who, on a good day, couldn't give two shits about being normal (and why would they?). Nah. I think I'll reserve my sympathy for those in a bit more need. 

You want to get that chip on your shoulder looked at

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Unreal isn't it. Disappointed we made a thing of it. The worst thing you can do with the types to moan about that is pander to their demands. The only real blot on our performance.

But his celebration was ironic so not really pandering to it.

19 minutes ago, Apollo said:

You want to get that chip on your shoulder looked at

It might seem that way but I'm just not having this 'poor footballer' narrative. They've got it better than the rest of us even in the worst of times.