urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

6 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Man City are certainly the favourites for the league.

Every team seems to be struggling for consistency atm. - but Man City and Liverpool have to be the main two that are expected to find some, and win the league if they find it soon enough.  Of course if they don't, then things could get stay really interesting for teams like us :D 

4 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

5live sports news this morning opening line : It's looking like a 3 horse race for the title...............

Man City are just about evens and Liverpool are about 4/1. Man Utd lagging behind at roughly 7/1.

Spurs are down at 25/1 and we're back at 40/1.

26 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Man City are just about evens and Liverpool are about 4/1. Man Utd lagging behind at roughly 7/1.

Bookies are still horrible with their odds.

We halfway through a season and its a given west brom wont win the title yet their odds are lower than we had at the "start" of our title season.

If I ever bet on football its always a small bet for fun, usually once every 6 months or so, as the value for money is horrific compared to other forms of gambling.

The most popular bets info is interesting, I remember many claiming our title win was good for the bookies, I argued it wasnt based on the fact since then odds have tightened up on outsiders (to discourage it), and also this is an indicator that people dont just flock to vote on the favourite.  e.g. more bets on spurs at 25/1 compared to man city at 5/6, guess which one is going to cost more?

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Bet365 have us at 33/1. That's moved from 28/1 since yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

We halfway through a season and its a given west brom wont win the title yet their odds are lower than we had at the "start" of our title season.

If I ever bet on football its always a small bet for fun, usually once every 6 months or so, as the value for money is horrific compared to other forms of gambling.

The most popular bets info is interesting, I remember many claiming our title win was good for the bookies, I argued it wasnt based on the fact since then odds have tightened up on outsiders (to discourage it), and also this is an indicator that people dont just flock to vote on the favourite.  e.g. more bets on spurs at 25/1 compared to man city at 5/6, guess which one is going to cost more?

Very true on the point in bold. If West Brom win every game this season they get 71pts which wouldn't have been enough to win any premier league season previously.

9 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

This is a compliment to us, not shade. 
  The bookies will never go as high as that again after what we did. No matter how impossible something looks. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Bet365 have us at 33/1. That's moved from 28/1 since yesterday.

Fair enough, I did a quick google and posted the first results I saw on oddschecker. Still classed as an outside bet by the bookmakers.

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Fair enough, I did a quick google and posted the first results I saw on oddschecker. Still classed as an outside bet by the bookmakers.

Oddschecker find the best odds, so you'll always see the longest odds on there.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Facecloth said:

If we improve our home form we'll be more than in the mix, we'll be out in front. We're already in the mix with shit home form.

And we've got one point fewer at home than the current leaders.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Still can't see past Man City or Liverpool tbh. Massive squads, great managers. Set crazy levels in recent years. Man City can grind out results and put together a huge string of wins too. 

I agree with most of that except the squads. Liverpool have a tiny squad without much quality outside a core group of maybe 15 players. We have a deeper squad than they do. That being said their quality and Man City’s quality and squad depth undoubtably make them the ones to beat.

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

I agree with most of that except the squads. Liverpool have a tiny squad without much quality outside a core group of maybe 15 players. We have a deeper squad than they do. That being said their quality and Man City’s quality and squad depth undoubtably make them the ones to beat.

So last season Liverpool are the best team in the world and we collapsed because we had no strength in depth. This season we have a deeper squad than them!? 

I'm not so sure. Obviously our squad feels deeper this year due to Castagne, Under and Fofana + players like Justin improving. 

I think Praet injury is the real worry for me. How do we rotate Maddison and Tielemans now? 

1 minute ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

So last season Liverpool are the best team in the world and we collapsed because we had no strength in depth. This season we have a deeper squad than them!? 

I'm not so sure. Obviously our squad feels deeper this year due to Castagne, Under and Fofana + players like Justin improving. 

I think Praet injury is the real worry for me. How do we rotate Maddison and Tielemans now? 

Yes. Two things I’ll point out. Our squad depth is deeper this year than last. Liverpool’s first XI is better in most positions that us. They are a great team but that’s not down to depth but having a lot of quality. 

In their last game for example they had to play to midfielders in defence and Shaqiri in attack.

Love our business model compared to the other 'big' clubs, there's something so satisfying about selling off players for huge sums and bringing in better ones for a fraction of the price. You could say it's a gamble but as we've seen for Chelsea, big spending doesn't always pay off immediately. It's astonishing to think Justin cost us 6-8m  And based on current form and the fact he's establishing himself in the PL, he's got to be worth 50M+ ? What's Barnes worth now, also has to be over 50M.

Another thing I love is you don't get the big ego vibe from any of our players. Radio Leicester say that we are good at getting 'silver medalists' IE players that have something to prove, and that's basically us summed up. Fofana maybe slightly bigger ego than were used to be he's bearly 20 and playing at a 2nd place PL team so you kind of get that, hopefully he is helped to remain humble by the experience in the team. 

Having said all that, there's not a single starting 11 player I'd want to cash in on. Chillwell was good but many of us weren't overly upset he had gone, personally I was kind of hoping he'd go if the fee was right, but I'd be more than gutted to lose a Justin, Barnes, fofana etc. The future is looking bright and now we're getting some depth in the team, even more so.

• Like 1

Interesting from Steve Bruce tonight lol 

“gloves are off”

“Sick of the criticism”

“here you pricks, have 5 attacking players and no midfield” 

lol almost feel like he wants them to get hammered to shut the fans up. 

• Like 1