urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I was strongly in favour of VAR before it's implementation and I remain so now. 

Technology is neither good or bad, its just a thing. It's only as successful as how it's used, there's potential for VAR to make the game objectively better. Its use for offside, for example, is objectively better however much it might frustrate people. 

But its use for subjective decisions has been hugely frustrating and needs to be improved. It should have been the great equaliser that reduced contentious snap decisions going in the favour of big clubs, instead there are times it almost seems to be being used to justify them. 

But people need to stop turning on VAR and it's removal, I promise you that that will only benefit the "Sky Sports Big Six" further. 

People need to start turning on the league and our governing bodies and demanding they change and they improve, don't scapegoat a bit of technology that's only as good or bad as the people wielding it. 

Good post.

On topic: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/23/he-shoots-he-scores-or-does-he-how-var-changed-football-for-ever?

26 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I still don't know how accurate the offside decisions are, is it all manual? As in do they manually pause the screen when the ball is played still and also draw the lines themselves? I remember when it first came out the frames per second was something quite low like 30, is this still the case? Also remember one time that VAR didn't have access to all of the cameras that BT Sports did, has this been changed?

These decisions keep happening, yet we never get any clarification on what's changing or how it's right, other than 'the ref interpreted the rules that way', or 'the ref was correct, those are the rules' (like the Targett handball last week for example)

I believe it is the case that lines are manually drawn, yes. I was surprised at how low-tech it is. Surely, we easily have the technology to have software that recognises the players' positions and places them on a 3d model of the pitch. It could work out instantly whether there's an offside, or at least make it possible to look at an angle straight across the pitch that makes it easy to see.

I think the Soton offside decision last night was correct, but there was a Man Utd player further forward than the one they were looking at. The green lines (Maguire's foot) were already on the image. I drew the orange lines where the Soton player's sleeve is, and the red lines where the Man Utd player's (just behind Soton player) knee is.

sotonoffside.jpg.0fe07c73a3b170f1b2ef981b208743eb.jpg

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not even watched it and already know its not the greatest press conference every. Nigel Pearson's ostrich interview still holds rank. 

NP conferences in lockdown along these lines would be a thing you could sell tickets for 

48 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Mick Hucknall with the bants 

Core message is right but it’s a bit ‘boring parent wants to be the fun one for a weekend’

Soccer AM have their content now though 

Surely they can’t be too many worse statistical performances in the Premier League than Bednarek last night. Conceded 6, scored an own goal, gave away a penalty and got sent off lol all he needed was a bad injury and he had a full house. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Southampton request Mike Dean and Lee Mason do not officiate games. 

seems a bit odd. Like the Premier League will be like yeah sure. 

I think we'd all request that.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Not really. Mike Dean has been corrupt since I've been watching football with him officiating the game. Hes crapped on us when we've played the big teams plenty of times.

13 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Good luck with that . I don’t know if it’s false memory syndrome but despite technology improvements all football fans appear to have less confidence than ever in the officiating. There also seem to be more incompetent tw@ts on the loose . There were always problem refs but also some very decent ones ( Elleray springs to mind) but the likes of Dean , Moss and Pawson are ruining the game . There are plenty of others but I can mercifully hardly remember their names