3 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think it's going to be trickier than people think. Braga for certain are very good team. Don't know much about Athens. I can't imagine Luhansk will be a walkover, especially away from home. 

Sure, no question, but you'd still be disappointed with not winning that group. 

Absolutely shouldn't be complacent but it's perfectly winnable. To be honest, any group in this competition at this stage should be. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

It's odd to me that a City fan would think that. I think we're bigger than the Tigers. Now, at least.

Does it matter..I Support all Sports  Teams from  Leicester.....And I moved away from Leicester sometime in the Jurassic period..!!!

• Like 1

Ireland has the rights to live coverage on Virgin Media but it might be difficult for our games to be shown.

Arsenal and Spurs will get preference. So too will Celtic and Dundalk. There's probably more interest in Rangers than us too.

I just Hope our fans Dont underrate any of those clubs,or overrate our chances that run arrogantly into the entitled Cups of froth..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Does it matter..I Support all Sports  Teams from  Leicester.....And I moved away from Leicester sometime in the Jurassic period..!!!

lol No, it doesn't matter. I wish any Leicester team well too, but I'm not that arsed about any sport other than football.

Just struck me as odd that a Leicester City fan would think of the Tigers first when hearing the word 'Leicester.' Especially these days, when we're flying and the Tigers are really struggling (last time I looked).That's all.

16 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Is the next round seeded? Or just anyone can draw anyone?

Assume it's 8 teams from the Champions League plus 12 group winners and 12 runners up.

Anything to gain from finishing top?

From Wikipedia on last season's EL:

The mechanism of the draws for each round was as follows:

• In the draw for the round of 32, the twelve group winners and the four third-placed teams from the Champions League group stage with the better group records are seeded, and the twelve group runners-up and the other four third-placed teams from the Champions League group stage were unseeded. The seeded teams were drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same group or the same association could not be drawn against each other.
  • In the draws for the round of 16, quarter-finals and semi-finals, there were no seedings, and teams from the same group or the same association could be drawn against each other. As the draws for the quarter-finals and semi-finals were held together before the quarter-finals were played, the identity of the quarter-final winners was not known at the time of the semi-final draw. A draw was also held to determine which semi-final winner was designated as the "home" team for the final (for administrative purposes as it was played at a neutral venue).
  • Like 1

Group stage is a walkover which actually worries me more than having a couple of tough draws, don't want to be arriving at the knockout stages complacent, or worse not even get there through complacency.  I like to worry though so hopefully just overthinking it.

Betting on the winner of the EL is daft at this stage.

You never know who's going to end up in the last 32 from the CL, and with Liverpool-Ajax-Atalanta in one group and PSG-Manchester United-RB Leipzig in another, there's going to be some big hitters in the knockouts.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

Where are Luhansk playing these days? That city is the disputed region in the East. Anyone know where they’ve been playing European games?

Zaporizhzhia apparently.

25 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

Didn’t realize we could have drawn Red Star Belgrade. We owe them a good seeing too I think. 

I really fancy us to go far in this competition. Was going to have a flutter, but the odds aren’t that attractive 

We couldn't.  
We were both in Pot 2 

• Like 1

A first look via fivethirtyeight …

We are the initial favorite.  We and Arsenal are the strongest favorites to win groups.

538EL.thumb.JPG.0fe6e18c468768bcd324c64c27b9857a.JPG

They’re showing all the eligible CL clubs as possible entrants, which takes a bit of getting used to.  Apparently factoring in the probability of each club finishing third to drop down … since if PSG or Bayern actually do that, we would no longer be the overall favorites!

1616873297_538groupG.thumb.JPG.dab5bbf135f5e698b2d3872692d36b2b.JPG

A favorable draw to be sure.  One of the weaker groups, despite the anomaly of a superpower coming out of Pot 2 ;)  That Milan-Lille-Celtic group is the obvious Group of Death.  (Does the EL even have a “group of death”?  “Group of moderate injury” maybe?)

990282653_ELgroupsxls.JPG.05ed79ece5e8091cbd799c4e51177329.JPG

The link to the whole thing (already bookmarked on my laptop): https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/europa-league/

Edited by KingsX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

lol No, it doesn't matter. I wish any Leicester team well too, but I'm not that arsed about any sport other than football.

Just struck me as odd that a Leicester City fan would think of the Tigers first when hearing the word 'Leicester.' Especially these days, when we're flying and the Tigers are really struggling (last time I looked).That's all.

I don't think of Tigers first. Never been to Welford Road (or any other Rugby ground) in my life and don't intend to. 

However, my point is how we're portrayed in Europe. Leicester (Tigers) have historically a strong profile on the continent. Our profile outside of the UK has only increased in the past few years and our identity needs to be distinct from the rugby boys. 

We are Leicester City, Riyad got it (eventually).