Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

David Brooks

It could well go down to deadline day. Yes, Bournemouth have sold many of their big guns and don't need extra cash from the sale of Brooks, but if he wants to leave to play in the Premier League, then they have a decision to make. Keep an unhappy player or ask a realistic price.

Is Brooks now more of an asset than Maddison was when we bought him.  To me, there's not much in it.  Maybe premier league experience is in Brooks favour.  Both are excellent players.  They both offer class and creativity.  There has been inflation in transfer fees.  To me , that puts Brooks value at around 25 million.

17 minutes ago, majaco said:

Is Brooks now more of an asset than Maddison was when we bought him.  To me, there's not much in it.  Maybe premier league experience is in Brooks favour.  Both are excellent players.  They both offer class and creativity.  There has been inflation in transfer fees.  To me , that puts Brooks value at around 25 million.

I'd consider it pretty balanced to pay the same for Perez and Brooks. Perez had a bit more experience, Brooks has more promise really. He's probably already better than Perez. 30m is a fairly middle of the road fee for a young British attacker. 

50m is daft but Bournemouth know that, they're likely just posturing, trying to test how much United want him. 

That asking price will come down closer to the end of the window if there's still genuine interest from Premier League clubs. 

He seems like a decent enough professional to not throw his toys out over giving them a season in the Championship mind. 

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'd consider it pretty balanced to pay the same for Perez and Brooks. Perez had a bit more experience, Brooks has more promise really. He's probably already better than Perez. 30m is a fairly middle of the road fee for a young British attacker. 

50m is daft but Bournemouth know that, they're likely just posturing, trying to test how much United want him. 

That asking price will come down closer to the end of the window if there's still genuine interest from Premier League clubs. 

He seems like a decent enough professional to not throw his toys out over giving them a season in the Championship mind. 

Agree with this, their forum has a Balance of pay up or shut up (like we do) but a few believe the price they'd accept could be closer to £40 million. So £30 million with add-ons, if this isn't up £30 m up front the club may go for this. But he isn't a £50 million player and there is no way they'll get that from anyone. 

3 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

Agree with this, their forum has a Balance of pay up or shut up (like we do) but a few believe the price they'd accept could be closer to £40 million. So £30 million with add-ons, if this isn't up £30 m up front the club may go for this. But he isn't a £50 million player and there is no way they'll get that from anyone. 

Yeah I mean we've said this before loads of times on here, a player is worth what he's worth to BOTH clubs. Bournemouth saying 50 is their way of saying "we don't really want to sell." That's their prerogative and totally fair. 

If we were willing to pay 50 for a winger, we'd have done it by now. We're obviously looking around to try and pick someone up for 20/30 odd. It's why we likely wanted Trincao on loan, so we could deal with the money at a later date. 

Looking at our transfer business so far this season it looks to me like we've probably ear marked about 60m (Chilwell + some prize money) that we're willing to spend on players. 

I'd say our list of priorities looks like it's:

1. Replace Chilwell 

2. Sign a CB

3. Sign a winger. 

Every time we check one of those off, we know how much we've got for the next. That's why it's taking us so long to settle on targets and why there seems to be two or three strong rumours (Tagliafico, Tarkowski, etc) at any given time because we're bartering around trying to get players in as cheap as possible. 

I'd be surprised if we don't tick all of those positions off before the end of the window but they're all gonna need to be in the 20/25 range. That'd be my educated guesswork off what we've seen so far. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't know why we're bothering to look at domestic players at all, TBH.  We aren't the sort of club that can pay a 50% markup for players just because they're British or play domestically, not because they're actually better - leave that market for Chelsea and the Manchesters.

100% this. Hugely expensive and not even good value. Waste of time and definitely a waste of money. Imagine paying £50m for Brooks when you compare it to what we spent of Ricardo, Youri and Maddison (I know he's British but prices since then have become even more ridiculous). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

100% this. Hugely expensive and not even good value. Waste of time and definitely a waste of money. Imagine paying £50m for Brooks when you compare it to what we spent of Ricardo, Youri and Maddison (I know he's British but prices since then have become even more ridiculous). 

A great example is Watkins going for £33 million, by no means is he worth that and Werner was brought for just over £14mill more.