Bonanza

The OH Leuven Thread 2020/21

5 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

@Bonanzawhat's his competition like in center midfield do you see him starting games or being a squad player? 

He's one of those players who's next days are behind him now and you probably won't notice him on the pitch.

Used to have a knack of scoring important goals but we are talking a few years ago now. 

His best feature is being able to pull very interesting faces during a game.  

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Good signing for us, Leicester fans? What type of player is he?

I know he's a central midfielder who was a big part of your league winning team.

Everyone loves him because he’s been with us since our lowest, came through the academy from the age of 15 and played a fair few games and scored a fair few goals in the title win. Isn’t good enough for our team now but could do a job for a decent Championship club. Was on loan to Rangers, returned after five games, then on loan to Huddersfield. Released by us end of last season. Good eye for goal. Former Wales international (2017 last match). Solid signing.

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Been wanting to get a Leuven shirt for a while, this has definitely given me even more reason to get one, with him on the back!

Frankly it'd be rude not to get a Leuven shirt now!

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, KFS said:

Danny Simpson to join up next? 

Honestly not the worst idea in the world, same with Maty James, even though he's gone to Coventry. Man United used to send players to Antwerp to play including Evans, Simpson, Fletcher, etc so it's not like it's a terrible league. OHL fans wouldn't want their team to end up being a retirement home for washed up pros, but having experienced players with a winning mentality and mixing it with exciting talent could work for them. The Ajax team that got to the Champions League semi finals had a mixture of exciting young talent in De Jong / De Ligt, but also experienced players like Blind and Tadic from the Premier League. Perhaps a lighter version of that could be effective!

8 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

@Bonanzawhat's his competition like in center midfield do you see him starting games or being a squad player? 

It all depends on his level of play, I guess.

He'll compete with Maertens, Malinov and Hubert for a spot in the starting 11. 

Shocked how hard he has found establishing himself at another club, I thought he'd easily waltz in to a Championship club and do well there, so its not a guarantee he will go to Leuven and be influential. The Belgian top league is a good standard and I hope he does the business as it's a great story.

57 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Shocked how hard he has found establishing himself at another club, I thought he'd easily waltz in to a Championship club and do well there, so its not a guarantee he will go to Leuven and be influential. The Belgian top league is a good standard and I hope he does the business as it's a great story.

finances are tight and clubs are going for younger cheaper players

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bonanza said:

Good signing for us, Leicester fans? What type of player is he?

I know he's a central midfielder who was a big part of your league winning team.

Probably box to box, a great finisher (had a sensational goal highlights video), keeps it simple, not a great tackler and not too flashy.

Off the pitch, pretty much everyone who's worked with him says what a great bloke he is, was with us for over a decade and I don't recall any issues with discipline or a lack of professionalism.

A good player and a thoroughly likeable bloke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Bonanza said:

It all depends on his level of play, I guess.

He'll compete with Maertens, Malinov and Hubert for a spot in the starting 11. 

Even if he doesn't always start, his eye for a goal means he should be useful of the bench, and he is a model pro.

I think he would work best as a sitting midfielder really, using his experience to keep things ticking over, but I think he is flexible enough to play any CM position.

We would love to see him do well.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I guess it is a lot cheaper to bring a kid through when the finances are sketchy, as they are at the mo.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Rumour has it he's coming to Leuven...

...you are aware of the history surrounding Benkovic, how do you feel regarding him coming in to your club?

I am a big fan of Filip and wonder if he can come back from all the setbacks he has had. There is a very good player there who may just be held back by the mental challenges that he has to overcome.

43 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Rumour has it he's coming to Leuven...

Now this is a proper signing for you from us, this lad prior to us signing him was playing Champions League football and was one of Zagreb's best players at a very young age. I really hope he does well for you as we have been a nightmare with him.

23 hours ago, Corky said:

Off the pitch, pretty much everyone who's worked with him says what a great bloke he is, was with us for over a decade and I don't recall any issues with discipline or a lack of professionalism.

100% on this. I have a funny Kingy anecdote which I think sums him up.

A friend of mine starting dating him after they'd met in a bar, 2009 this was.

She thought he was just a student from one of the Uni's for a couple of weeks. He'd no interest in showing off that he was a footballer when he was on a night out and it didn't come up in conversation until a proper date lol 

I dunno... I think that kinda sums him up really, proper professional and not at all showy or flashy. 

• Haha 1