UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

Last year people were complaining about too many older players in the U23s, the better players weren't being loaned out or put in the first team squad. Now all of these things have been done and yet you're shocked we've declined? Also we have 2 trialists playing. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Bottom of the U18 league and third from bottom of the PL2. Whilst i appreciate we've got lots of players out on loan, that's not so becoming for our brand new facility, and a bad reflection on our coaching staff. I've said it before that we need to now start upping our game in our youth and development teams, and there are cycles of bad years to good years when you are shuffling the pack so to speak to send out your decent players to get more game time. However, it doesn't look great at the minute...

The same bloke in charge for how many years now, not really building a philosophy. Surely we have someone or can get someone better.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Last year people were complaining about too many older players in the U23s, the better players weren't being loaned out or put in the first team squad. Now all of these things have been done and yet you're shocked we've declined? Also we have 2 trialists playing. 

One of the Trialists is 24 in March. Just bizarre why we’ve got him playing 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

As I said sometimes things go in cycles. Man United were shocking for for a couple of years for example, and were relegated at one point. So we may well be in that refresh stage, but it still doesn't excuse or negate the fact that in my view we need to up the ante on our coaching quality beyond the first team.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Yeah it's going to take a fair while to see the results, it's still a fair argument about this being all our own doing and this should have happened years ago.

The dog shit style of football is still a very valid criticism, Beaglehole was supposed to step aside last summer and didn't. Still we are faced with 80's Wimbledon methods.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, lcfcell said:

One of the Trialists is 24 in March. Just bizarre why we’ve got him playing 

It does seem strange, also Simpson playing. Maybe we have some isolating? 

4 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

As I said sometimes things go in cycles. Man United were shocking for for a couple of years for example, and were relegated at one point. So we may well be in that refresh stage, but it still doesn't excuse or negate the fact that in my view we need to up the ante on our coaching quality beyond the first team.

I think that's probably right. 

For all the good players we’ve produced are U23 side seems to be especially poor at the minute. Completely mismanaged with far too much sentiment involved. Players who clearly aren’t going to make the cut still getting a chance because they’re “good lads” is ridiculous. Time there were some big changes.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

For all the good players we’ve produced are U23 side seems to be especially poor at the minute. Completely mismanaged with far too much sentiment involved. Players who clearly aren’t going to make the cut still getting a chance because they’re “good lads” is ridiculous. Time there were some big changes.

Clearly to whom? Most of this thread wrote off KDH and VDC.

And who exactly said they're getting chances because they're "good lads"?

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

Clearly to whom? Most of this thread wrote off KDH and VDC.

And who exactly said they're getting chances because they're "good lads"?

Ndukwu springs to mind. I don’t know if there are contractual issues there but after his failed League 2 loan surely the time was to part companies. 

9 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Is Wakering actually good? Seems to get a goal in each game.

It's very difficult to know how being decent at U23 level can translate in to first team level. The bits I've seen of him he looks good but then so did George Hirst at the same level and his 2 loan spells in professional football have been horrible. Likewise KDH looked nothing special in the U23's and then is Blackpool and Luton's best player they've had on loan in years. 

The common denominator is that they need first team football to gauge it properly and I'd rather we get them exposed to that as much as possible, even if our U23's are dog shit whilst the U16'd and U18's propel up the age groups to transition this.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's very difficult to know how being decent at U23 level can translate in to first team level. The bits I've seen of him he looks good but then so did George Hirst at the same level and his 2 loan spells in professional football have been horrible. Likewise KDH looked nothing special in the U23's and then is Blackpool and Luton's best player they've had on loan in years. 

The common denominator is that they need first team football to gauge it properly and I'd rather we get them exposed to that as much as possible, even if our U23's are dog shit whilst the U16'd and U18's propel up the age groups to transition this.

The club needs to invest in setting up a clearer route from academy to 1st team. I know Brendan has spoken about it a lot but we really do need to move beyond Beaglehole and get in a proper manager that has the same ideologies as Brendan in to take over the U23s. Could be someone that can take over from Rodgers when he eventually leaves as well.

Especially now we've got the training ground. Start getting a uniformed approach to coaching the kids. Become a bit of a mini-Dortmund if you like.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

The club needs to invest in setting up a clearer route from academy to 1st team. I know Brendan has spoken about it a lot but we really do need to move beyond Beaglehole and get in a proper manager that has the same ideologies as Brendan in to take over the U23s. Could be someone that can take over from Rodgers when he eventually leaves as well.

Especially now we've got the training ground. Start getting a uniformed approach to coaching the kids. Become a bit of a mini-Dortmund if you like.

If we were mid table or championship that could happen but we're aiming for the top 4/trophies. Playing the strongest possible side is more important than bringing on kids.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If we were mid table or championship that could happen but we're aiming for the top 4/trophies. Playing the strongest possible side is more important than bringing on kids.

More about keeping the conveyorbelt running.

We're where we are because we've been able to sell players for mega money. Keeping a strong academy makes that more likely to be able to happen.

Whilst results are not everything at U18 & U23 level, can it be doing these lads any good to be losing every match, sometimes getting thrashed. It could well be that the U23s  will get relegated & thus be playing at a lower standard next season, which will not improve matters. 

If we are not careful we could get relagted from PL2. The 2 teams behind us have 3 games in hand each.

I hope BR is battling behind the scenes to get some sort of order and fluidity to the development teams of all ages and making sure that there are changes to our recruitment of talent and release of players before they become too old in their respective age groups.

43 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Ndukwu springs to mind. I don’t know if there are contractual issues there but after his failed League 2 loan surely the time was to part companies. 

So nobody except you said they’re getting chances only because they’re good lads? Ndukwu hasn’t been in the squad for a while.