Jump to content
Japanfox

Will Brendan Rodgers be judged on next season's results?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

After not starting Hamza in the Villa first leg: "“Our biggest problem in the first half was our pressing. We weren’t aggressive enough. That’s down to me." “Yeah [I should have started Choudhury], that’s my fault.”

After losing at Everton: "I assume the responsibility for that. Results and performances is my job. Thankfully for how we’ve performed for a good portion of this season got us into a good position. We still have it in our hands to achieve what would be a dream for us and get into the top four."

After losing at Bournemouth: "A big apology to the supporters because that was unacceptable from a Leicester City team."

 

Away from Leicester:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/11/brendan-rodgers-takes-responsibility-liverpools-defeat-crystal-palace/

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3261834/brendan-rodgers-celtic-he-is-to-blame-stuttering-start-team-changes/

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool/brendan-rodgers-ready-to-face-the-music-after-liverpool-are-thrashed-by-stoke-31250182.html

 

Managers will very rarely admit mistakes in public because it threatens to show to the supporters and ownership that he hasn't got a clue how to run a team. Rodgers admits mistakes no more or less than any other.

"I accept responsibility" is a bit of an easy cop out when the responsibility lies at your door. 

 

The Choudhary one is weird...but okay if he believes that was what ultimately cost us (can't say I agree on that one). Accepting he made too many changes to his Celtic team is a good example though. Let's see if he's learned from that one next season...

Edited by filbertway
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He will surely be backed, we're paying him more than Klopp. It'd be stupid to give the guy a ridiculously high paying contract that essentially ties him to us without backing him in the market. 

Could you quote a verifiable source for that information? Let's see what happens after the window closes.

 

Edited by SO1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He's got the safest job in the league. Beautifully paid and nigh on impossible to sack him from a financial pov. 

 

Hopefully the dramatic dip in form since his new contract is coincidence and not because he's in the dream position of succeeding whatever happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Could you quote a verifiable source for that information? Let's see what happens after the window closes.

 

Well hot daaamn. Klopp signed a new deal worth £15 million a year a month or so after Rodgers signed his new deal for £10 million a year. 

 

Either way, we're paying the bloke a lot of money so I'd expect us to back him in the transfer market. Top isn't a stupid man. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, filbertway said:

Well hot daaamn. Klopp signed a new deal worth £15 million a year a month or so after Rodgers signed his new deal for £10 million a year. 

 

Either way, we're paying the bloke a lot of money so I'd expect us to back him in the transfer market. Top isn't a stupid man. 

I agree Top isn't stupid. My concern is that there are other factors(covid) at play that are beyond Top and the clubs control.

We aren't Chelsea. Thank God. Part of me is expecting that Rodgers will have to deal with what we have. Possibly with some minor additions for the squad to play additional matches. We will see.

Edited by SO1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I agree Top isn't stupid. My concern is that they're are other factors(covid) at play that are beyond Top and the clubs control.

We aren't Chelsea. Thank God. Part of me is expecting that Rodgers will have to deal with what we have. Possibly with some minor additions for the squad to play additional matches. We will see.

Managers only get 20 seasons.... bredan must be impatient for progress 

Edited by foxinsocks
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I agree Top isn't stupid. My concern is that they're are other factors(covid) at play that are beyond Top and the clubs control.

We aren't Chelsea. Thank God. Part of me is expecting that Rodgers will have to deal with what we have. Possibly with some minor additions for the squad to play additional matches. We will see.

One thing I think is worth mentioning, you go on about how Rodgers should be backed with money in the transfer market or he'll go, one thing I'd point out is that I'd be a bit concerned about giving Rodgers too much control in the transfer market if I were Top. He was backed heavily at both Liverpool and Celtic (by our standards) and made a real mess of transfers so I could wholly understand a chairman's concern at giving him a large bankroll and the freedom to do what he wants with it given his track record

 

Rodgers biggest strength is as a coach, he's one of the best in the business. However, his achilles heel and his biggest weakness is his ability (or lack of) in the transfer market. Ideally he should be left to coach and the recruitment team should have full autonomy for transfers however the elephant in the room in that respect is Rodgers ego, at clubs like Celtc and Leicester where he effectively thinks he's bigger than the club he demands full control and the results aren't pretty thus far when you consider recruitment.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

One thing I think is worth mentioning, you go on about how Rodgers should be backed with money in the transfer market or he'll go, one thing I'd point out is that I'd be a bit concerned about giving Rodgers too much control in the transfer market if I were Top. He was backed heavily at both Liverpool and Celtic (by our standards) and made a real mess of transfers so I could wholly understand a chairman's concern at giving him a large bankroll and the freedom to do what he wants with it given his track record

 

Rodgers biggest strength is as a coach, he's one of the best in the business. However, his achilles heel and his biggest weakness is his ability (or lack of) in the transfer market. Ideally he should be left to coach and the recruitment team should have full autonomy for transfers however the elephant in the room in that respect is Rodgers ego, at clubs like Celtc and Leicester where he effectively thinks he's bigger than the club he demands full control and the results aren't pretty thus far when you consider recruitment.

Hopefully either we continue using the process that has signed players in recent years to good effect or Rodgers has learnt from his mistakes in the market. 
 

Either way I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to relinquish full control of transfers to a manager, you need people with different ideas and analysis on football to have an input. I doubt we’d do that anyway but also really hope we don’t. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

One thing I think is worth mentioning, you go on about how Rodgers should be backed with money in the transfer market or he'll go, one thing I'd point out is that I'd be a bit concerned about giving Rodgers too much control in the transfer market if I were Top. He was backed heavily at both Liverpool and Celtic (by our standards) and made a real mess of transfers so I could wholly understand a chairman's concern at giving him a large bankroll and the freedom to do what he wants with it given his track record

 

Rodgers biggest strength is as a coach, he's one of the best in the business. However, his achilles heel and his biggest weakness is his ability (or lack of) in the transfer market. Ideally he should be left to coach and the recruitment team should have full autonomy for transfers however the elephant in the room in that respect is Rodgers ego, at clubs like Celtc and Leicester where he effectively thinks he's bigger than the club he demands full control and the results aren't pretty thus far when you consider recruitment.

Our recruitment won’t let that happen. Rodgers may suggest some players like every manager does but we won’t bow down and sign players he wants for stupid money. We’ll be going down the same route we’ve done the last few years signing younger players that can only get better with maybe one or two experience players coming in to replace ones going out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Stupid question.

 

What would I settle for next season? Progress. 
60+ points, more than 9 (should be 12+) against the big 6.

Decent showing in Europe.

At least a semifinal domestically (if there are two cups).

I think top 8 is where we're at.

 

Anything above that is success.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, filbertway said:

"I accept responsibility" is a bit of an easy cop out when the responsibility lies at your door. 

 

The Choudhary one is weird...but okay if he believes that was what ultimately cost us (can't say I agree on that one). Accepting he made too many changes to his Celtic team is a good example though. Let's see if he's learned from that one next season...

...he doesn't learn, or at least doesn't think, he needs to!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

I think they will back him and go big. There isn't a better manager possible for us.  The owners wont want a reputation as not backing their managers.  He has seen what we need. We need to be brave and get behind Top.

I think there are better managers out there. Unfortunately majority don’t have premiership experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He would have had time to assess what he has and needs, so as long as the club back him in the summer, yes it will be his squad so he has to be judged on results.

 

 I rate Rodgers, but any repeats of the usual half season results from this squad it’s on him, he should be more than of the problem players, and those that let him down.

 

 His biggest job is to get rid of those he doesn’t want and those that are not good enough, all on lucrative contracts off the books to free up the wages budget, as we shouldn’t have problems with transfer fee’s with all the sales recently, but the massive wage bill for sub standard players could hinder terms we need to offer to recruit better players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...