Jump to content
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

Recommended Posts

Just now, Deeg67 said:

I like McNeil and think he can improve substantially. But 32 million would be ridonkulous.

Wouldn't though would it... not by todays standards.


He'll likely be in the next England squad even if we don't sign him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

His stats of creating chances from open play are ridiculous.

 

I can see why people are dubious of McNeil, but he's very young, he's in a Burnley team that doesn't venture out of their own half a lot and I think he'll improve a lot in the next year or two. He carries the ball up the pitch which is something not a lot of our team seem to be able to do that often.

 

I'm all for it, but I'll be slightly worried if he's the only winger we sign, as we need a double figures goalscorer.

Finally! Some reason. The window isn't even close to being shut.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

His stats of creating chances from open play are ridiculous.

 

I can see why people are dubious of McNeil, but he's very young, he's in a Burnley team that doesn't venture out of their own half a lot and I think he'll improve a lot in the next year or two. He carries the ball up the pitch which is something not a lot of our team seem to be able to do that often.

 

I'm all for it, but I'll be slightly worried if he's the only winger we sign, as we need a double figures goalscorer.

It could also be argued that because he plays for Burnley that very rarely do they face teams that are sitting back (as they are normally the defensive team) so there is more space for him to attack. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

No.  Burnley aren't strapped for cash, Burnley believe that McNeil is improving and will be worth a lot more next year, he is under contract for 4 more years (3 plus a club option), he has a preferred move in the north west that he isn't ready for, he is being advised by all and sundry including his father that he is better at Burnley for another year, and £32m will be rejected out of hand by Burnley and Leicester won't be willing to bid high enough to tempt.  The only way it would happen would be if McNeil demanded to go, and I don't think Leicester is the club, or would pay the wage, that would tempt him to make that demand.

Thank you nice insight . 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

That’s irrelevant !! That’s like us letting Madders go on a free because he gets pissed off for playing left wing sometimes. This place would explode!! Hendrick will sign for another Premier League team and would, in today’s market potentially attract a £20 million plus price tag. Burnley should never have let that happen as the teams he is likely to be linked with would be direct competitors. 
 

Like I said, £32 million ensures that they can offer wages to their current crop of players and not have their fingers burnt as they have done. This is good money for Burnley. 

One problem is that if you pay a reserve (I know he played most of the matches last season until he downed tools, but only because Gudmondsson was injured) the money he asks - you may have more idea than me how much he was asking - then all the better players want rises as well.  If a squad players gets an extra £1m per year, then all the better players want at least an extra £1m per year and your £32m goes up the Swanee very fast.  Especially as you were hoping to spend some of that £32m on a replacement left winger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

No.  Burnley aren't strapped for cash, Burnley believe that McNeil is improving and will be worth a lot more next year, he is under contract for 4 more years (3 plus a club option), he has a preferred move in the north west that he isn't ready for, he is being advised by all and sundry including his father that he is better at Burnley for another year, and £32m will be rejected out of hand by Burnley and Leicester won't be willing to bid high enough to tempt.  The only way it would happen would be if McNeil demanded to go, and I don't think Leicester is the club, or would pay the wage, that would tempt him to make that demand.

Assume you don't mean Man Utd? Given that they binned him off as a youth.

Interesting though I imagine his Dad is a big influence given he was a pro too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Wouldn't though would it... not by todays standards.


He'll likely be in the next England squad even if we don't sign him. 

Maybe so, maybe so.  Realistically, how many attacking players have done as much as McNeil at his age?
 

The thing I don’t think people get is that he’s actually quite a creative player.  Great work rate, and most of his crosses aren’t speculative Peter Crouch moonballs but quick pings on the ground.  If Vardy is in good form I could see that being a very fruitful pairing.

 

The player he actually reminds me a bit of is Jesus Navas.  @StriderHiryu, do you see that at all?

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

McNeil would be a strange choice for us. Decent and industrious player, but I would have thought he better suits a team playing 4-4-2 and carrying an aerial threat. We are not that team and I don’t see it being a BR signing. 

Not a BR signing? Don't start with that :) We need somebody to scapegoat along with Congerton.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

No.  Burnley aren't strapped for cash, Burnley believe that McNeil is improving and will be worth a lot more next year, he is under contract for 4 more years (3 plus a club option), he has a preferred move in the north west that he isn't ready for, he is being advised by all and sundry including his father that he is better at Burnley for another year, and £32m will be rejected out of hand by Burnley and Leicester won't be willing to bid high enough to tempt.  The only way it would happen would be if McNeil demanded to go, and I don't think Leicester is the club, or would pay the wage, that would tempt him to make that demand.

You sound very sure....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

 

The player he actually reminds me a bit of is Jesus Navas.  @StriderHiryu, do you see that at all?

As in he is a good dribbler but has a lack of end product? I can see that in him lol

 

Snideness aside I think he's a player who has bags of potential, but that's the key word - potential. We've already got plenty of players with potential in our side, what we need right now is someone proven to add more goals to the team, especially given we are about to play in Europe. You could argue not signing a player like this cost us Champions League.

 

I wouldn't be unhappy to see him come here, but I wouldn't have my hopes up that he would come in and give us the 20 goal contributions a season I'd hoping a player in this position brings us. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Personally hope this is a smokescreen to show Barca that they haven’t got us by the balls.

I want both. The 2 year loan deferred purchase and McNeil.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

One problem is that if you pay a reserve (I know he played most of the matches last season until he downed tools, but only because Gudmondsson was injured) the money he asks - you may have more idea than me how much he was asking - then all the better players want rises as well.  If a squad players gets an extra £1m per year, then all the better players want at least an extra £1m per year and your £32m goes up the Swanee very fast.  Especially as you were hoping to spend some of that £32m on a replacement left winger.

That is exactly the point. You said Burnley are not cash strapped. Which is understandable given they have been mainstays in the premier league for a few years now. An additional £32m in their coffers to add to what they already have, secures their future for longer as it allows them to keep the core of their team together and add to it. Like I said, £32 million is a good deal for Burnley just like £80 million for Maguire, £60 million for Mahrez and £35 million for Drinkwater were good deals for us. It’s all about the food chain. McNeil makes the move to a team like us, Everton, wolves etc. It’s a step up for him and gets him closer to the dream move. That’s if he shines at the next stage of expectation and on the European stage. there is a food chain in football. It’s like us trying to argue Chilwell or Maguire/Mahrez shouldn’t be tempted to the next level of club. It’s a ridiculous argument as it’s a step up for the player on both aspirations and financially. It’s the just the way it is. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

As in he is a good dribbler but has a lack of end product? I can see that in him lol

 

Snideness aside I think he's a player who has bags of potential, but that's the key word - potential. We've already got plenty of players with potential in our side, what we need right now is someone proven to add more goals to the team, especially given we are about to play in Europe. You could argue not signing a player like this cost us Champions League.

 

I wouldn't be unhappy to see him come here, but I wouldn't have my hopes up that he would come in and give us the 20 goal contributions a season I'd hoping a player in this position brings us. 

Honestly don't think this club can afford(financially) to bring in a player who is a guarenteed 20 goal scorer.

Anyone we bring in including Trincao is going to be potential, just like the others. That's what I like about McNeil.

He seems to be a player who is talented enough to help himself and the rest of the team reach their potential. Like finding the right key to unlock the door. We need Trincao and McNeil both for what they bring strength, skill and speed......... Nobody knows if its going to be one or the other.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SO1 said:

Honestly don't think this club can afford(financially) to bring in a player who is a guarenteed 20 goal scorer.

Anyone we bring in including Trincao is going to be potential, just like the others. That's what I like about McNeil.

He seems to be a player who is talented enough to help himself and the rest of the team reach their potential. Like finding the right key to unlock the door. We need Trincao and McNeil both for what they bring strength, skill and speed......... Nobody knows if its going to be one or the other.

Was just about to say this.

How many teams have a 20 g+a winger on their team maybe 5? And they either paid big big money for them or took a gamble buying them

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

One problem is that if you pay a reserve (I know he played most of the matches last season until he downed tools, but only because Gudmondsson was injured) the money he asks - you may have more idea than me how much he was asking - then all the better players want rises as well.  If a squad players gets an extra £1m per year, then all the better players want at least an extra £1m per year and your £32m goes up the Swanee very fast.  Especially as you were hoping to spend some of that £32m on a replacement left winger.

Just sign Andros Townsend or somebody really underwhelming as a replacement

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Just sign Andros Townsend or somebody really underwhelming as a replacement

We signed Josh Brownhill in January, who based on the last 8 games of the season already looks better than Hendrick both on the right and in the centre.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...