Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

We’ll never sign a Mahrez or Vardy again.

This is a great question.  As a low quality pl club or championship club you can sign a player playing atv50% of their potential and they can make the team and grow (hopefully both player and team will kick on). Better clubs have no pathway.   A rahsms DOD well at villa 

But he still cant make the starting line up at Chelsea... did he improve last season? Probably not.  How can man city offer  a pathway for a young player to break in? Foden is fantastic... but at city he just csnt get in?

Championship clubs can still find a diamond.  

Right now I would say our squad in mid table (we do better cox of the value added by rodgers).  To kick on we must buy proven players... we have given time to barnes  thomas,justin and hamsa.... that's not bad. But you are right the higher we fly the more consistent we must be and so opportunities to indulge developers will be less

Indeed it is. I think as well with modern day football, no players go under the radar. I'm almost certain all the big clubs would have come across Kante, Mahrez and Vardy but didn't take a chance on them until they progressed at a higher level. I don't buy these stories around the fact that the so called big clubs miss these players. Players knew for so long that a club like ours could propel them onto "bigger clubs" although I think that gap is now closing and we're slowly turning into a big club ourselves, who now feed off lower to mid level PL clubs and sign their better players. 

17 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Well Wilfred Ndidi and James Maddison will probs have something to say about replacing Kante and Mahrez. 

As for Vardy, he’s next to irreplaceable as an individual because he’s so unique, but by improving our attacking options over the pitch we don’t have to become over reliant on one man. It’s rare even the big clubs replace players like for like. 

Sorry to say, while Ndidi may indeed be better as a tackler than Kante, he is still one or two levels down from Kante. Kante is at his level because he can not only tackle but can quickly turn that into a quick transition upfield, and does really well. He can pass and get up to score.

As for Maddison, also sorry to say, but Mahrez is light years ahead. Techincal abilities aside, Mahrez’s brain speed (and coordinating that with vision and actual foot action) is just incredible. He gets the ball, Vardy thinks about making a run, and in that instant Mahrez’s peripheral vision catches it, his brain reads it and then makes a perfectly weighted pass - all in a split of a second. In that same time, Maddison would have simply received the ball, and looked up; meanwhile Vardy runs the defender catches it and runs with him, by that time Maddison sees the situation, takes a spin or a step, thinks that Vardy ran too early or he is offside, and decides to wait (or if he does make a pass it becomes much more difficult for Vardy to get into a really nice position to score). Maddison is really not comparable to Mahrez. Mahrez like players don’t come around easily.

Re Vardy - absolutely agree.

Edited by Tom12345

Mahrez was good in his very first game, I remember he was swapped in for at the time a fan favourite Knockeart, and I could tell instantly he was quality and would stay in the team.  So if we manage to find someone else who is good enough and not tapped into its very possible they wont need time.  One thing I noticed about the big clubs, they prefer to poach players they consider the finished article, that leaves the unnoticed players available for clubs like ourselves.

The difference is though if they are as good as Mahrez, we probably wont keep them for as long as we did Mahrez, as now we on the big stage.

Edited by Chrysalis

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

Sorry to say, while Ndidi may indeed be better as a tackler than Kante, he is still one or two levels down from Kante. Kante is at his level because he can not only tackle but can quickly turn that into a quick transition upfield, and does really well. He can pass and get up to score.

As for Maddison, also sorry to say, but Mahrez is light years ahead. Techincal abilities aside, Mahrez’s brain speed (and coordinating that with vision and actual foot action) is just incredible. He gets the ball, Vardy thinks about making a run, and in that instant Mahrez’s peripheral vision catches it, his brain reads it and then makes a perfectly weighted pass - all in a split of a second. In that same time, Maddison would have simply received the ball, and looked up; meanwhile Vardy runs the defender catches it and runs with him, by that time Maddison sees the situation, takes a spin or a step, thinks that Vardy ran too early or he is offside, and decides to wait (or if he does make a pass it becomes much more difficult for Vardy to get into a really nice position to score). Maddison is really not comparable to Mahrez. Mahrez like players don’t come around easily.

Re Vardy - absolutely agree.

I agree regarding Kante, but Ndidi was starting to become quite a player before his injury, he was on a steady improvement projectile, but sadly after he came back he was much less sharp.

• 3 weeks later...

Having spent a huge sum on a fantastic new Training facility, maybe the Club will next invest in setting up a completely new scouting system and network? There are gems out there, but as we all know other big Clubs are trawling in the same waters, so in some ways it is about searching in the not so obvious places.   Hopefully our Academy will also continue to produce.