urban.spaceman

Blackburn Rovers pre-season match thread

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He didn't play against Bournemouth? He played vs Sheff Utd, Spurs and Man Utd and going forward was very impressive in all of them. Gave the ball away twice in Spurs half and we had no defence which was poor but that's as much as the players behind him as it was him. He's raw and a loan would probably benefit him but Chilwell made countless errors and was shit going forward so I don't think we are much weaker in the short term if we do play him.

Normally agree with your posts but to say Chilwell is bad going forward is just not true at all. He contributed 3 goals and 3 assists in 27 appearances and averaged 1.3 key passes per game. That's fantastic for a left back. He can be incredibly frustrating at times buts he's certainly not shit going forward.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Sampson said:

You're right. I was thinking of the Spurs goal. Trying to shift blame on the players  behind him is exactly my point, you'd never do that with Chilwell. You'd have slaughtered Chilwell for that exact same mistake.

Chilwell made that same mistake many many times for us, that's my point. People make out like he was this elite player but bar that breakthrough first year under Puel, he hasn't looked anywhere near the level a player of his hype should. Under Rodgers I think he has regressed and possibly because he wanted out but either way he was poor defensively and going forward he has no control over what he wants to do. Flashes of brilliance due to his athleticism but I don't think we'll be much worse off with a raw Luke Thomas cutting his teeth in our team than with the Ben Chilwell of the last 18 months.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Didn't score firsthalf, relegation candidates. Are we potential champs again now?  lol

Yeah it's definitely the first half of this one friendly that's got people feeling negative about the season, not our horrific form this calendar year and inactivity in the transfer market

2 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Normally agree with your posts but to say Chilwell is bad going forward is just not true at all. He contributed 3 goals and 3 assists in 27 appearances and averaged 1.3 key passes per game. That's fantastic for a left back. He can be incredibly frustrating at times buts he's certainly not shit going forward.

I stand by my comments, he is poor going forward. There is no thought process or control over his passing and crossing. Those stats on paper look above average/decent but as a fan watching us week in, week out he has so much of the ball and wastes it. We will not miss him, not one bit.

• Like 3