Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

He is like a new signing, so good tonight. His best performance without question. 

Agreed. Think he's done really well on the whole but have missed Wilf at times because of a bit more defensive nous and added physicality but he was close to perfection tonight.

Fair play to him as he's simplified his game and looks so much better for it.

On 29/09/2020 at 18:45, deanolegend1989 said:

Obviously I went to far that game and that’s why I’m putting my hands up and admitting I was wrong.

I was angry with the performance, the way we set up was ridiculous and Mendy got the brunt of my anger because on the day he was shocking and watching back it was clear he was unfit and unconfident.

His movement this season was like chalk and cheese compared to then(he barely moved) and his passing that day was pathetic and almost like he didn’t want the ball. The lack of confidence was clear and I stand by criticising him that day, however the level I went was ridiculous.

We’d just been on lockdown, he’s barely played for ages and gets thrown in, also as 442 with Ndidi(which never works) and Maddison left wing(which never works) and Gray on the other wing(arguably never works too).

Looking back as poor as Mendy was that day, that set up from BR was an utter joke and didn’t help any of them.

When he’s got the space to himself to mop up and flick little balls round the corner and knick possession then he’s more than comfortable. He was fantastic yesterday and deserves the praise but it was actually the West Brom game that I sat up and took note. Straight away I thought ‘he’s improved’ very tidy that day. He then imo wasn’t great vs Burnley, 2nd half looked quite tired and careless so I was worried vs City he would be not good enough but he’s proved me wrong and put him a top performance.

Now let’s not get ahead of ourselves. He’s not the next Kante but hes a hard worker and seems like a good professional and I’m glad he’s perseverance has led to both personal success and club success so far and gives us a bit of depth in our europa league campaign.

You said he was shit the other day. So well done. 😂

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

Like Kante, Papy is footballing glue, joining a team together. But in a different way, with a different skill set. For all his immense talent, Wilf doesn't quite do that.

His screening and positioning are very intelligent and consistent, he is mobile, and his short passing game is very reliable, metronomic even.

Papy was never a bad buy, we should take his transfer out of the 'terrible recruitment after the title' narrative.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Blue-fox said:

I think we are now seeing why Claudio bought him in to replace Kante. 

He was our first choice and keep playing like that and you can see why we brought Kante in to replace him. Dictates the pace so well helping break play up and keeping the ball.

2 hours ago, Blue-fox said:

I think we are now seeing why Claudio bought him in to replace Kante. 

Claudio was incredibly unlucky in his 2nd season planned to have Mendy and Drinkwater in cm ended up with King and ammartey! 

Mind you he was pretty lucky in his first season with no injuries so easy come easy go. 

I'm so happy for him, He got a bad injury and then trying to move NDiddi was always going to be difficult.

I see no reason though why they cannot play together. Wilf on the right Mendy on the left. Tielemans just in front in the middle, It would bring a better balance to the midfield.

I just hope he stays injury free this season as he's the perfect type of player for us as he keeps it simple. Which is the sign of a good player.

I know not everything has gone the way we wanted too this season but there’s been some major positives with Mendy being one of them.

It’s actually unfathomable to see how he’s turned his city career around, reminds me of a famous number 9 who recently scored his 109th PL goal.

2 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

You said he was shit the other day. So well done. 😂

No I didn’t I said it months back. Then I said he’s improving as you can see in the above post.

Then over the last few weeks he’s been very poor vs villa and West Ham and he’s not good enough if we are going to be consistent.

Tonight he had a decent game but as usual with him, he’s a hard worker and I like the lads heart but he isn’t great at offering much in any way of creativity and we always struggle with him in there to offer much creativity so it relies so hard on us to take one or few sniffs we have. We have probably one of the greatest strikers in Premier league history who helps us by his ruthless ability to score crucial goals but it all has to work so often.

In games we concede the first goal, we struggle and are almost out of it because he offers barely any forward movement and creativity to open a team up so the games where we need to go for a team and take the initiative we’re often useless.

Its no coincidence his best run in the side before this year in mid 18/19 he was part of our teams who beat Man City and smash and grab won at Chelsea and then beat Everton in probably one of the worst games I’ve ever watched on New Year’s Day 2019. As well as Man City away and now Arsenal away this year, He often is effective in these games where we’re happy to draw and arnt expecting to win, keep it tight in midfield and hope to knick something. They are all very similar wins(scrappy and Vardy taking every chance we get). He’s ok in these situations and that’s why as I stated a month or so ago that I was harsh on Mendy but I’m not going to go the other way

Hes got some situations he helps us in but he’s also very limited and is very much someone we carry again opposition who sit back and expect us to go beat them. In games like that it’s really hard to break the low block when he’s in the team.

Credit where credits due as I say when he does well, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Wilf absolutely walks back into his place when fit.

16 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I'm so happy for him, He got a bad injury and then trying to move NDiddi was always going to be difficult.

I see no reason though why they cannot play together. Wilf on the right Mendy on the left. Tielemans just in front in the middle, It would bring a better balance to the midfield.

I just hope he stays injury free this season as he's the perfect type of player for us as he keeps it simple. Which is the sign of a good player.

Ndidi and Mendy together 🤦‍♂️. Let me guess, Maddison on the left wing too? 😂.

mendy ndidi and Tielemens has about as much pace as an old people’s home.
Ndidi Praet Tielemens is our best 3 because they all offer something you need and it’s a great balance. Mendy is cover for ndidi but when Wilfs back its a straight swap.

• Like 2