52 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Lolz. What’s he supposed to say “I don’t think I’m good enough for England and never will be”. He always comes across as a decent guy when I hear him interviewed. And the thing he talks about most in that interview is training hard and improving. If arrogant means “younger than you and with more money so makes you feel bad about your life” then he’s guilty as charged I guess.

It's possible to not say something without having to explicitly say something opposite to that - this is pretty basic logic. Your all or nothing line of arguing is the kind of tribalism that makes football fans so tedious to talk to sometimes. By all means disagree with the view being put forward, but you discredit yourself if you can't articulate it better than to resort to a petty put down which has nothing to do with the point being discussed.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

It's possible to not say something without having to explicitly say something opposite to that - this is pretty basic logic. Your all or nothing line of arguing is the kind of tribalism that makes football fans so tedious to talk to sometimes. By all means disagree with the view being put forward, but you discredit yourself if you can't articulate it better than to resort to a petty put down which has nothing to do with the point being discussed.

Haha I’m like Mr Grey usually. Tribalism?! Have you ever seen anything I’ve ever posted on this site?  My apologies if I came across wrong, I have too much time on my hands and not enough life and I react too quickly to young men being labelled or put down without what I see as good reason. To me he’s been unfairly labelled arrogant. All I’ve done is merely counter your claim he sounded arrogant.

If my methods were not to your standard then I apologise, I really am one for proper debate on here so it was not my intention to give bad faith arguments. Also the last comment I made was clearly tongue in cheek and as much a comment aimed at myself as anyone else on here.

I just can’t see that he is arrogant. I may be wrong, I often am, but to me he sounds a well rounded, fairly intelligent young man who clearly loves football and wants to reach the very top. 

So they do a feature, and now talk about how he's unlikely to play for England because players like Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Grealish are better out wide (true) and how the #10 has changed. Yet Maddison plays centrally and isn't effective out wide. So it's a bit of a moot point to mention those particular players.

When you mention Mount and Foden that's a fairer argument. And this season, he's performing miles better than Mount. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

So they do a feature, and now talk about how he's unlikely to play for England because players like Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Grealish are better out wide (true) and how the #10 has changed. Yet Maddison plays centrally and isn't effective out wide. So it's a bit of a moot point to mention those particular players.

When you mention Mount and Foden that's a fairer argument. And this season, he's performing miles better than Mount. 

I don't know how they get paid the money for that sort of analysis. If you look at his game compared to 2years ago, it's changed massively. He's not a luxury 10, he can play deeper now and has added so much more to the defensive part of his game, yet they act like he just strolls around waiting for the ball. 

Of course, everyone is blindly accepting the argument that England don’t play with a no. 10 without asking why. Leicester play with a no. 10 and they’re doing pretty well.

What they mean is Southgate doesn’t play with a no.10 but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t 

1 minute ago, TK95 said:

Actually didn't think he had a great game prior to that goal lol

Who cares. Did it when needed 

No, mind you I thought the lot of them were garbage bar Wilf and Ricardo for 3/4 of the game tbf 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Actually didn't think he had a great game prior to that goal lol

Who cares. Did it when needed 

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

No, mind you I thought the lot of them were garbage bar Wilf and Ricardo for 3/4 of the game tbf 

Someone said in the match thread he doesn't turn up for big games. Overall, the performance was lacking but no one can say he didn't step up today with the free kick. 

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Someone said in the match thread he doesn't turn up for big games. Overall, the performance was lacking but no one can say he didn't step up today with the free kick. 

Scored v Man City. Scored v Chelsea. Scored today. A very close offside decision away from scoring v Tottenham.

Plenty would want that record.

• Like 3

His general play is average at best, for me. Changing to a 4-2-3-1 just means he can sit behind the holding midfielder(s) and go missing, and he no longer drops deep to find the ball like he did at his best for Norwich and for us under Puel.

Yet he keeps scoring and assisting. It's similar to Mahrez, except we would constantly look to and be able to get the ball to him, because he would drop to the halfway line and look for it off Simpson, then drag us up the pitch. Maddison does not have that effect, and we rely too much on Tielemans for that kind of playmaking - Barnes can do it in a more direct fashion which is something we've rarely had in recent memory, but playing the 'key pass before the assist' is not something Maddison is particularly good at for me.

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, StanSP said:

Its a conspiracy, soon as he plays for England his price rockets and they dont want that

Barnes Maddison and Vardy could all be in the England squad and Justin tbh..