On 23/10/2020 at 14:46, Hansifüx said:

I have watched all games he played for Roma. And maybe it will make you happy  to hear that this was one of his worst performances I have seen so far. He was much more selfish than usually, he was somewhat lost in the middle of the field with him and his team mates running into each others paths. He also looked as if he has heavy legs from training hard. This was a performance similar to what you see from him in a preseason game when you have to train in the morning and play in the evening ... But I can already see that he will have an impact and this will work out. He can read the offensive game well. I suspect that Barnes and him will work well once they understand each other. They have a similar style of direct offensive play.  

Shocking for me was the position he was asked to play. For me it makes no sense to play him there but maybe BR and his team see something else in him, maybe the pace he has is needed there ... I don't know ....  he definitely can provide very sharp and precise passes, but he usually stays away from any aerial duels or actually any physical contact which will be very hard playing central. He is still young and potentially can be reshaped. But I hope this was just an exception.

The reason it didn't work in Roma this season was because he was not used as a right winger, the Roma coach's system required him to play more central and more defensive, which suited Zaniolo's style of play. To be fair, I think he got better in that position towards the end but before that  he was one of the best right wingers in the world (in my opinion). I wish the trainers would stop turning him into something else ...  I hope he will get  game time as a right winger as soon as possible also for him to have a few games to get back into that role and re-establish some routine moves and runs. He also needs to be reminded that one of his key aims is providing assists. 

He hasn't scored for a while (including his international games), which is unusual for him, I suspect that is also a reason for why he acts so selfish.

Anyway,  I look forward to seeing better performances in the coming weeks.     

What is it with some clubs and managers, they buy a particular player on the grounds that they look very good and excel playing in a particular position. No sooner do they buy them they then try and change them and when it doesn’t work out, the player is suddenly deemed crap and surplus to requirements. 

There are of course always exceptions to the rule occasionally, by very astute managers like Wenger who converted Henri from winger to forward but, more often than not, round pegs fit round holes.

Early days but I hope this young lad is given a chance in his rightful position. Don't buy a winger if you don't intend to use one. Early days yet.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Writing off a highly rated, young, international winger after 60 minutes of game time demonstrates how pig-shit stupid some elements of our support are. 

It seems clear that Under will need time to get up to speed and adapt.  Rodgers has already said that he needs to be patient and so do we.

That said, I'm not sure that I have read anybody writing him off?   We shouldn't censor ourselves.  As long as expectations are tempered I don't see what is wrong with people giving their first impressions of him.  We are allowed to rave about Fofana based on two games but we are not allowed to have an opinion on how Under is doing?  

I haven't even seen him play yet but I expect him to be lacking in sharpness and match fitness and may struggle early on.  He will only get up to speed with minutes.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, Hansifüx said:

Shocking for me was the position he was asked to play. For me it makes no sense to play him there but maybe BR and his team see something else in him,

Oh god. Not again. Him and Perez should start a support group.

Regarding his brief appearance, he looked too desperate to impress.

But there’s not been nearly enough game to judge. And most though Ricardo was defensively shakey for about half of his first season.

He's a victim of how quickly the other two signings have started. I'm not blown away yet either but he's played 50 minutes and started neither. I want to see him start a game first, hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Nick said:

Absolutely. He’s already first team quality in relation to his passing, movement and ability to read the game. He just needs to find form, fitness and confidence - I don’t think his ability has ever been in question.

Comparisons with Ghezzal are quite frankly embarrassing.

Did you get embarrassed by that reference to him being like Ghezzal? 

Wow! 
Some people are more odd than I thought. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ceirboy said:

Wow! 

I think comparative references are pretty stupid, yeah. If that makes me odd in your view then so be it.

3 hours ago, Ceirboy said:

Wow! 

Whats amusing is Ghezzal in his first 3-4 appearances for us was actually decent anyway hahahaa

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Whats amusing is Ghezzal in his first 3-4 appearances for us was actually decent anyway hahahaa

He was average and it was clear he could play a bit of football but Under is different gravy.

He looks to me like he has the type of physique that means he struggles to gain sharpness quickly. Fergie always used to talk about the differences in say Giggs, compared to Rooney in this regard. I think players who have a more “stocky” build sometimes have to work harder to get up to speed. I think if he can stay injury free and get some game time we’ll start to see the best of him in November. Too early to see him start today I think we need a more defensively astute player to deal with AFC’s strong left wing. 

• Like 1