Jump to content

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Fulham's CB signing just failed a medical..... I wonder if that, along with a good performance yesterday might push their interest in big Dan. 

 

I know reports suggested he was being looked at as a CM but if he offered them options in two positions they need....

Maybe, but I think we'll be less inclined to sell now, and his price will have soared massively.

 

I think the rumour said £5m, didn't it? Seems daft now.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Of course he deserves credit for his performance but I also think this whole he played cb for Ghana thing is a little bit false. He did for a tournament and did it very well by all accounts. But we bought him from Copenhagen where he was a midfielder, he played in midfield for Ghana too. I for one have never been critical of Amartey but it's a bit baffling when you see people who were writing him off 2 days ago now saying he's the answer to all our problems based on one very good performance. 

 

In regards of the arsenal game I thought Fuchs and Amartey had worse games than Morgan personally. 

I by no means watched a lot of Danish football, so I cannot back up that argument entirely, but on the rare video from Youtube, he certainly seemed to be playing centre back... 

Edited by lcfceaves
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Of course he deserves credit for his performance but I also think this whole he played cb for Ghana thing is a little bit false. He did for a tournament and did it very well by all accounts.

So he did indeed "play cb for his Ghana" but it's false?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

A little bit false. He certainly did for a little bit but my impression was he was doing it for cover

He has played in the position for club and country. When we signed him, he was billed as a defender/DM.  I'm sure that I read somewhere at the time that his preferred position actually is CB. I can't substantiate that though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked it up, seems he spent most of Copenhagen at DM, the club before (Djurgardens IF) he played mostly at Centre Back... 

 

For Ghana, he has played mostly Centre back, the odd game at CDM...

 

Never felt comfortable watching him as a centre mid, he doesn't seem to have the required technique. Most of Mendy's career I here, I haven't felt comfortable seeing him play centre mid as he doesn't seem that mobile, but he has always had the technique and composure. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

I by no means watched a lot of Danish football, so I cannot back up that argument entirely, but on the rare video from Youtube, he certainly seemed to be playing centre back... 

So after some research in his club career he has played 87 as a defensive midfielder, 35 times as a right back 33 times as a centre back and 3 times as an attacking midfielder. Of the 33 times he played centre back 20 of those appearances came for the Swedish team he played for before Copenhagen.

 

For ghana howerver I am happy to admit I was wrong he has 20 caps, 18 of which as a CB and 2 as a defensive midfielder. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Line-X said:

He has played in the position for club and country. When we signed him, he was billed as a defender/DM.  I'm sure that I read somewhere at the time that his preferred position actually is CB. I can't substantiate that though. 

See my other post, we are both right it seems lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be we have the McGuire saga all over again?   We sold him to Manure & tried our hardest to find a replacement without success.  Then we discover that we already had a guy at the football club who is better than McGuire!!!  So we didn't have to spend any wonga!!!

 

Yesterday we thrashed Man City & the whole team played brilliantly including  Danny boy Amartey who is happy playing at centre back!  So Brendan tell Top to keep the money in his pocket while you look for a striker!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bluebeau said:

Could it be we have the McGuire saga all over again?   We sold him to Manure & tried our hardest to find a replacement without success.  Then we discover that we already had a guy at the football club who is better than McGuire!!!  So we didn't have to spend any wonga!!!

 

Yesterday we thrashed Man City & the whole team played brilliantly including  Danny boy Amartey who is happy playing at centre back!  So Brendan tell Top to keep the money in his pocket while you look for a striker!!!

Doubt it. With Maguire, we had 2 possible ready made options , unfortunately Benkovic hasn't made the progression as expected. In this case there isn't a ready made replacement or 2, so the only real upside is that we probably only need one centre half and Armarty can be used as 4th choice or a utility player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing how sentiment can turn and if the guy struggles against West Ham (if required) will be back to square one. However, if you felt he was someone good enough to bridge the CB gap when needed then youd happily allow Fofana to stay on loan and pick him up properly next season 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...