Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I think people are getting carried away with enthusiasm as we all want him to do well.

But it's only 3 games in against very little and a very weakened Man City.

 

There's no doubting the fact, He cost us Champions league this season by some poor decisions.

Yes, the team is looking better, I'd still wait a while longer before deciding he has ticked all the boxes of greatness.

It was refreshing however to see him mention his failings so lets hope he's truly learned.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Mate of mine (he's 50 so not a recent-success-spoilt kid) is just not having Rodgers.

In a text after the Man C game:

"The capitulation under his 'guidance' indicates he just hasn't got what it takes, he hasn't got the mettle. The capitulation when we are faffing about in the second rate euro league will hurt even more. A great manager will deliver for the full season."

Fair to say I think he's being a bit harsh!

That reads to me like someone not dealing with contradictory evidence well, and thus doubling down. It's become very commonplace. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I think people are getting carried away with enthusiasm as we all want him to do well.

But it's only 3 games in against very little and a very weakened Man City.

 

There's no doubting the fact, He cost us Champions league this season by some poor decisions.

Yes, the team is looking better, I'd still wait a while longer before deciding he has ticked all the boxes of greatness.

It was refreshing however to see him mention his failings so lets hope he's truly learned.

 


Don't really see how you can say he cost us when it was really individual actions coupled with an anomaly with covid plus a ton of injuries.
No one's calling him great just appreciate the fact he's willing to change it when it's needed.
While you could argue they are weakened even tho I don't think many teams bar Liverpool could field a team with as much talent as that, you could say the same about us.

Like if you cant get excited after 3 wins on a trot in the prem best start to the season ever beating one of the best teams (in the prem) ever 5-2 when can you?

Edited by LCFOX92
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LCFOX92 said:


Don't really see how you can say he cost us when it was really individual actions coupled with an anomaly with covid plus a ton of injuries.
No one's calling him great just appreciate the fact he's willing to change it when it's needed.
While you could argue they are weakened even tho I don't think many teams bar Liverpool could field a team with as much talent as that, you could say the same about us.

Like if you cant get excited after 3 wins on a trot in the prem best start to the season ever beating one of the best teams (in the prem) ever 5-2 when can you?

I'ts always a matter of opinion but I think he certainly cost us Champions league this season.

His first mistake was not signing another Striker last Summer, I said so at the time.

Second was not using Slimani from January with Vardy struggling with injury. 

Third was not playing for results during the run in, Believing it was going to fix itself. All we needed was 4 points from something like 11 games or so. 

He's a good Manager as I've said many times but comes unstuck against the bigger clubs,

Why is this, Well you could argue that they have better players. Yet Lesser teams manage it.

I believe it's because of his blind faith in total Football. You've got to be able to mix it up.

here's many ways to win Football Matches, and the best Coaches and Managers are aware of this.

That Man City team was poor by any standards while I'm delighted we won, I still reserve judgement.

The League is a Marathon not a sprint as we found out last season.

Yes I'm delighted with the start we've made but I'm old enough to remember Taylor and others making similar starts, Only to fall away similarly to our run in last season.

However we are in a much better place and I don't see that happening. Given time I think Brendan will get it right, where we can compete with anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I'ts always a matter of opinion but I think he certainly cost us Champions league this season.

His first mistake was not signing another Striker last Summer, I said so at the time.

Second was not using Slimani from January with Vardy struggling with injury. 

Third was not playing for results during the run in, Believing it was going to fix itself. All we needed was 4 points from something like 11 games or so. 

He's a good Manager as I've said many times but comes unstuck against the bigger clubs,

Why is this, Well you could argue that they have better players. Yet Lesser teams manage it.

I believe it's because of his blind faith in total Football. You've got to be able to mix it up.

here's many ways to win Football Matches, and the best Coaches and Managers are aware of this.

That Man City team was poor by any standards while I'm delighted we won, I still reserve judgement.

The League is a Marathon not a sprint as we found out last season.

Yes I'm delighted with the start we've made but I'm old enough to remember Taylor and others making similar starts, Only to fall away similarly to our run in last season.

However we are in a much better place and I don't see that happening. Given time I think Brendan will get it right, where we can compete with anyone.

I think it might be a bit harsh to just say Rodgers cost us top 4 without context. We need to remember it was him that got us in such a great position in the first place. That shouldn't be omitted. I'm certainly not saying he's blameless, but there are valid reasons for the downturn in form, including awful luck re: injuries to key players and an unprecedented global pandemic to throw a bag of spanners in the works. I know that people will argue that the form was bad before the bulk of the injuries, and that is true, but I'd say we'd still be far more likely to turn the form around with Ricardo, Maddison, Ndidi, Chilwell, etc. available.

 

Re: Signing a striker. I don't think we needed one. Who out there could we get who is better than Nacho and Perez, but who also wants to sit on our bench? You also have to ask how much this player would cost, and whether it would be a good investment when we've got Vardy playing in a single-striker team.

 

Re: Slimani. That was never going to happen. Why would Slimani be picked ahead of Nacho or Perez, even if you kid yourself into believing the manager or squad would happily welcome him back into the fold?

 

Not playing for results and believing the form would fix itself is quite a strong statement. I'm just interested as to why you think that was the case.

 

i agree - Brendan certinly did struggle very badly for results against the big clubs. I think we can look at the Man City game and be very optimistic that he sees that and is going about changing that very effectively. Whether that Man City team was poor or not, it was BR's approach that was so good to see. If he had a blind faith in total football, it's gone now. He said himself he hadn't got a team to play like that in 13 years as it was against his philosophy, and yet it paid dividends. I'm sure he'll remember this one for the rest of his career, and it will serve him well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairweather manager. Will smack a few then throw in these clueless performances where we offer bugger all in any area of the pitch. How can we barely have a shot at home against a bottom half team? 

 

Fed up of these lifeless displays where the opposition keeper barely has to move. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he pretty much said it how it was in the interview but what I don’t get is why he took so long to make the necessary changes. It was baffling he decided to start the game with the formation he did. We didn’t have the midfielders available to play it in the first place anyway

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nalis said:

He's not as good as Man City away but not as bad as West Ham at home. Hopefully another lesson for him albeit the players didnt exactly help either.  

Agree. But whilst we can all learn more as life progesses, he's had a long time to learn up to now and he somehow seems incapable of heeding the lessons on too many occasions. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Put it this way today’s game is a great video nasty for them to all watch before our next game. They will all improve as no one can hide from that performance. Even kasper who seemed like a spectator for the most part will feel he needs to somehow come up with spectacular saves in games like these (like his dad used to) to help his team out and keep them in the game. It’s a tall ask but these are the moments that great players should thrive on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I like him and I think he is a great coach. He’s been good pretty much everywhere he has been, with a few wobbles but no manager is successful in every job they take. 
 

He has got a young squad with a lot of talent and he is starting to mould them into the team he wants. With the average age of the squad there are always inconsistencies, and there will always be shortcomings. I don’t even blame him or last season, it’s the players. On our day we’re fantastic, off it we’re an absolute shambles. All these are traits of a young team, hurdles and failures will help to shape them and make them better footballers. 
 

I must admit I do get a bit sick and tired of this “Rodgers got it wrong” every time we don’t play well. Sometimes the players don’t carry out instructions, sometimes players opposition get the better of them, sometimes too many individuals have poor games meaning the team don’t function well. The problem we have in my opinion is that we still have a soft underbelly, and the only way around that is experience. I think last season will benefit us, and even with new experiences hiccups and mistakes will be made.

 

Today man for man, West Ham were better and deserved the victory, we didn’t. It’s not completely Rodgers fault, it’s a squad issue you can’t blame Rodgers for Cags’s performance today, it’s the worst I have ever seen him play and that is his problem Brendan will put an arm around him and he’ll pick him up, but Cags has to take some ownership himself too. 
 

The point is there’s no need to shit ourselves every time we lose and don’t play well, we ****ed it last season collectively, yea today wasn’t great but I wouldn’t swap any of those West Ham players four ours when we are at full strength. We will be fine this season and Rodgers will continue to progress us. 

The one area that BR hasn't mastered is the connection with the fans IMO. 

 

If you ask BR I'm sure he thinks he has a great relationship with the fans but he's just so predictable.

 

I haven't heard his post match interview yet but it'll probably contain:

 

- West Ham deserve credit.

 

- We didn't move the ball quickly  enough first half

 

- it isn't a lack of effort, we just couldn't get going today for whatever reason

 

- I thought we improved second half. 

 

-We'll learn from this and move forward

 

 

Sometimes I want to hear real honesty. Call out the players for being shocking, admit you went with the wrong set up. 

 

He's too nice and safe in the media and this is highly frustrating when we require a kick up the backside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well he pretty much said it how it was in the interview but what I don’t get is why he took so long to make the necessary changes. It was baffling he decided to start the game with the formation he did. We didn’t have the midfielders available to play it in the first place anyway

Link to interview please ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I like him and I think he is a great coach. He’s been good pretty much everywhere he has been, with a few wobbles but no manager is successful in every job they take. 
 

He has got a young squad with a lot of talent and he is starting to mould them into the team he wants. With the average age of the squad there are always inconsistencies, and there will always be shortcomings. I don’t even blame him or last season, it’s the players. On our day we’re fantastic, off it we’re an absolute shambles. All these are traits of a young team, hurdles and failures will help to shape them and make them better footballers. 
 

I must admit I do get a bit sick and tired of this “Rodgers got it wrong” every time we don’t play well. Sometimes the players don’t carry out instructions, sometimes players opposition get the better of them, sometimes too many individuals have poor games meaning the team don’t function well. The problem we have in my opinion is that we still have a soft underbelly, and the only way around that is experience. I think last season will benefit us, and even with new experiences hiccups and mistakes will be made.

 

Today man for man, West Ham were better and deserved the victory, we didn’t. It’s not completely Rodgers fault, it’s a squad issue you can’t blame Rodgers for Cags’s performance today, it’s the worst I have ever seen him play and that is his problem Brendan will out an arm around him and he’ll pick him up, but Cags has to take some ownership himself too. 
 

The point is there’s no need to shit ourselves every time we lose and don’t play well, we ****ed it last season collectively, yea today wasn’t great but I wouldn’t swap any of those West Ham players four ours when we are at full strength. We will be fine this season and Rodgers will continue to progress us. 

...this was clearly a repeat of last seasons slide, in respect of performance!!!

our fragility just seemed to spread throughout the team and one by one the players quality just dropped. We can't keep using the too young excuse,we were set up incorrectly and had a far too high a backline allowing them to run off us and once again Rodgers failure to adjust before half time effectively reduced the time we needed to get back into the game. Rodgers change of style last week should have been tempered and implemented against the top four who will look to press and play their own attacking game.  We just can't allow the space behind with a high line and it made our defence look like a shambles which on todays performance it clearly was.

    

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Agree. But whilst we can all learn more as life progesses, he's had a long time to learn up to now and he somehow seems incapable of heeding the lessons on too many occasions. 

Exactly this.

 

If we fall behind, we are the easiest team to defend against. We have to try something different other than patient, ponderous probing that never leads to anything other than an opposition counter attack when we (invariably) misplace a pass. The amount of chances we create when a team is sitting back and defending in numbers is pitiful.
 

And even if we draw a foul or win a corner, we never win anything in the air. Other teams seem to be just bigger and stronger.

 

Our only reliable attacking weapon is running at a defence at pace and turning them. When space is denied us to do that, we are virtually impotent.
 

Opposition managers are targeting our weaknesses. But our own manager doesn’t appear to acknowledge that they exist. Which, like today, just plays into their hands and results in an embarrassing defeat.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Collymore said:

The one area that BR hasn't mastered is the connection with the fans IMO. 

 

If you ask BR I'm sure he thinks he has a great relationship with the fans but he's just so predictable.

 

I haven't heard his post match interview yet but it'll probably contain:

 

- West Ham deserve credit.

 

- We didn't move the ball quickly  enough first half

 

- it isn't a lack of effort, we just couldn't get going today for whatever reason

 

- I thought we improved second half. 

 

-We'll learn from this and move forward

 

 

Sometimes I want to hear real honesty. Call out the players for being shocking, admit you went with the wrong set up. 

 

He's too nice and safe in the media and this is highly frustrating when we require a kick up the backside.

...it doesn't matter what he says to the media, it is what he says behind closed doors that count!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love how people criticise his starting line up after the game has concluded and we've lost. Every week. 

 

How about criticise the team news when it comes out before KO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...