waylander

Rodgers due respect

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

People need to look at the league positions before BR took over.

18/19 - 12th when he took over

17/18-  9th 

16/17-  12th

With a net spend of 25m he's taken to 5th and Europe, and with a bit of luck top 6 again.

To many entitled fans on here.

We simply don't have the funds to compete yet. We're slowly building up quality and depth. Another solid summer window and we'll be competing again. 

• Like 4
Just now, UniFox21 said:

We simply don't have the funds to compete yet. We're slowly building up quality and depth. Another solid summer window and we'll be competing again. 

This ‘building’ and ‘developing’ cliche is over used and means absolutely nothing. We are a few assets leaving away from being a million miles away.

We won’t get a better chance with this squad, it’s a matter of time before they leave if we can’t get into the CL.

If we don’t make CL I would be extremely suprised if we keep hold of Fofana, Tielemens, Ndidi, Maddison and Barnes past this year and if that happens we will soon drop.

The term of developing and building a ‘project’ is all nonsense. It reminds me of Spurs and Poch, great team but if you miss the boat it all falls apart. We need to maximise this opportunity or we’ll never see these heights again.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

17/18-  9th 

16/17-  12th

With a net spend of 25m he's taken to 5th and Europe, and with a bit of luck top 6 again.

I don’t want to come across as entitled but what is the actual point of getting into Europe if its not going to be taken seriously? 

BR has done great to get us to where we are but if he wants to be regarded among the elite managers of the game as well as among Leicester greats such as O’Neill, Ranieri and even Pearson then he needs to win something.  This team is certainly good enough. Sacrificing European football for a timid performance against one of the worst Arsenal starting 11s in the past 20 years is not good, considering how close our starting 11 was to what you’d call full strength. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, deanolegend1989 said:

This ‘building’ and ‘developing’ cliche is over used and means absolutely nothing. We are a few assets leaving away from being a million miles away.

We won’t get a better chance with this squad, it’s a matter of time before they leave if we can’t get into the CL.

If we don’t make CL I would be extremely suprised if we keep hold of Fofana, Tielemens, Ndidi, Maddison and Barnes past this year and if that happens we will soon drop.

The term of developing and building a ‘project’ is all nonsense. It reminds me of Spurs and Poch, great team but if you miss the boat it all falls apart. We need to maximise this opportunity or we’ll never see these heights again.

Every single team minus maybe Man City are losing a few assets off of being nowhere. 

Building isn't overused. We can't smash hundreds of millions like the big 6, we have to improve slowly and consistently. Hence why you always have Rodgers describing this as a project. 

Ah yes the Spurs project that saw them able to find a billion pound stadium? Poch pushed spurs up a level or three. Yes they missed out on titles, but they're a hell of a lot better than they were.

You're clearly going for extreme worse case scenarios, on the back of bad results. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Just out of interest, which players would you have brought in in January (they would have to be available, the right price, willing to play second fiddle to the regular first teamers etc) and which players would you have taken out of the PL and UEL squads to accommodate them?

It’s was obvious we needed some new faces with all the games we had coming up. I understand that new players are hard to sign in January but when you look around other clubs they all managed it. 

we should have been looking to add a couple of players to the squad and not necessarily squad players. If we would have signed a player who’s starting quality that would have pushed the replacement into the squad. There’s plenty of players who’s contract is running out who we could have got on the cheap. Otavio, Thauvin to name a couple. The french league is struggling for cash at the minute and there’s a lot of good players in that league. If it cost a bit of money it would have been more than offset by Champions League qualification.

Again I know it’s har lad to do business in Jan and I have no idea as to how hard we chased players, it just seems to be the same mistake as last year and looks likely history will repeat itself.  

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

What is it about how we make signings do people not get? 

January is a difficult window to operate in, it’s not often clubs of our stature are able to make Stella signings in this window. And then this January we had a pandemic which made things just as hard. Our issues haven’t been in the window, they’ve been injuries and injuries. 

We are a self sufficient club, we can’t go and throw millions around whenever we please. 

Just responded in a previous post. I understand it’s difficult in Jan and there’s a pandemic. Other clubs managed it! 

You can blame last season on Rodgers - and he was at fault for our terrible collapse. But this season has just been a freak injury crisis. Nothing he can do 

• Like 1

Without doubt Rodgers is an exceptional coach and he has achieved wonders with a squad that is threadbare in comparison to the big hitters we are trying to compete with.However, he can be exasperating at times. After Yuri's fabulous opener we surrendered the initiative to Arsenal by adopting a more passive, defensive posture. A defence of this tactic might be that that this is the best way to manage fatigue, but I am not sure that's true. Having to chase a team with the quality of Arsenal for 90 minutes is surely not the best way to conserve energy or protect a lead. Rather, I fear that it might reveal a fundamental flaw in Rodgers as a coach, as it is a pattern that has recurred all too often since he took over. Is Rodgers just too timid or conservative to stay on the front foot and put teams away after we have seized the initiative? Thoughts? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Sicerely hope not Deano. Just think how much we'd have in the bank to replace them with, assuming it happened. 

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

You can blame last season on Rodgers - and he was at fault for our terrible collapse. But this season has just been a freak injury crisis. Nothing he can do 

Even last season we had Maddison, chilwell out. Wilf was out for a decent period too. 

but I take you point.

1 minute ago, frany104 said:

Just responded in a previous post. I understand it’s difficult in Jan and there’s a pandemic. Other clubs managed it! 

Very few teams actually did any business. Most loans of decent Prem players wouldn't have been open to us. The likes of Odegaard were never likely coming here. And Man United signed a kid from Atalanta. 

1 minute ago, Le Renard said:

Most people would have expected to finish around 6,7 or 8th this season with the Europa league and the squad depth. If Rodgers gets us european football with our injuries since the start of the season, then he's done a very good job! 

That would be true and there wouldn’t be as many complaints if we didn’t limp out of the Europa League because the teams attention was clearly on Arsenal. 

Mental if you're questioning Rodgers overall. In his two seasons here we have been top 6 consistently.

The squad he inherited always needed work/adding to it, that's on top of Maguire/Chilwell leaving and having to make Youri a permanent player. 

He needs backing though, we do need a quality striker. This summer will be one for us.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

1. When have we ever gone out and sold multiple key players in one window? Have you paid zero attention to the way our owners operate in the transfer market. There’s utterly no way in hell we’d allow Maddison Fofana Barnes to go in the same window. And if we let one go it’ll be for an astronomical fee that we cant say no to so would likely be a great deal for the club. 

2. Whether you like it or not we’re currently aspiring to be on spurs level. A well run club that consistently finishes in Europe, that can’t quite compete financially with the mega clubs off the pitch but tries to on it. Just hopefully we can do it and add a few more pieces of silverware than they have.

3. If you think the idea of progress and development is nonsense then I don’t really know where to go from here. I’ve seen your mendy posts so maybe I should take the hint lol if we’re  not building and enhancing the project that is our club what on Earth have we been doing since the Thai’s came in? The progress on + off the pitch has been equally incredibly evident and impressive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Dames said:

That would be true and there wouldn’t be as many complaints if we didn’t limp out of the Europa League because the teams attention was clearly on Arsenal. 

On FT it is hero to zero back to hero etc.  It was bad performance and if it continues for 2 or 3 more matches then we have every right to be worried, but after one league match?

Edited by Le Renard
33 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

17/18-  9th 

16/17-  12th

Exactly this. Don’t worry man, the silent majority know and understand.  The meltdown on here is not particularly representative of the fan base.  It’s like Twitter. Just a vocal minority.  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

On FT it is hero to zero back to hero etc.  It was bad performance and if it continues for 2 or 3 more matches then we have every right to be worried, but after one league match?

Rodgers put himself on a tightrope the minute he decided to not take the Europa League seriously comparatively to the league. Each loss is now going to be under the microscope, especially the one closest to being knocked out of the competition.

If he gets top 4 by end of the season he’ll get all the plaudits and more but every loss and limp performance between now and then will have everyone wondering what if?

In the previous two years with Liverpool, Klopp has won the Champions League and the Premiership yet this season, is struggling to make 4th. Is this all his fault? Has he turned into a poor manager overnight? Or is it due to the fact there have been some overwhelming and unprecedented problems in an unprecedented year. Is he suddenly a bad manager that needs sacking?

Pep too had a decimated defence due to injury last year and came a poor second. Nowhere near the amount of injuries though that have been suffered by  Leicester and Liverpool this year. Did he deserve sacking? Good job they didn't eh!

Rodgers bloody annoyed me at times last year and I would also question some of his decisions this term. However, I wasn't privy to all of the reasons behind those decisions and I do think that he can be a little too negative at times but ... despite having a tremendous young squad at his disposal, some of whom he's brought on leaps and bounds, how many times has he had the luxury to pick what he may consider to be his best 11? Not once I'd suggest. Along with Liverpool, we, I believe, have had the most overwhelming number of injuries which takes it's toll in so many different ways. 

I didn't like what I saw midweek or today but as far as I'm concerned, whatever the outcome this season, Rodgers is only culpable for a minor part of the blame. This season is unprecedented yet look still where we are. It's a bloody miracle really. 

• Like 1

The cheque book needs to be rolled out in the summer. If we want to keep our stars and Rodgers we need to match their ambition. Another summer of selling an asset and I fear our luck will run out. When sides like Everton and villa are outspending us you worry how sustainable our form is as we're all starting to think now.

• Like 1